Bills hire Jim O'neil

The Bills have most of their staff hired before other teams have a coach or GM. Wow.

PTR

Chan Gailey was hired on January 19th. Now there's no saying that hiring a head coach early is better than hiring one late. I really don't know if any studies have been done on that. But the fact that the Bills are acting quickly and being aggressive seems like quite a change from the past.

DeHaven's good but did you know Bobby April is back on the street with Reid having been canned in Philly?

One popular theory around here is that because April was miffed over being passed over for Head Coach and interim Head Coach that he would not want to work again for the Bills.

I have no idea if it's true or not but it certainly seems conceivable.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan Gailey was hired on January 19th. Now there's no saying that hiring a head coach early is better than hiring one late. I really don't know if any studies have been done on that. But the fact that the Bills are acting quickly and being aggressive seems like quite a change from the past.

One popular theory around here is that because April was miffed over being passed over for Head Coach and interim Head Coach that he would not want to work again for the Bills.

I have no idea if it's true or not but it certainly seems conceivable.

Chan was all that was left. No one wanted to even interview for the job. Fast forward to today. 5 interviews in 2 days, including coaches that travelled to us! Second to hire and we have our OC and DC hired before half the teams hired a coach.

Are these the right hires? Time will tell. But the Bills taking a totally different approach.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Are these the right hires? Time will tell. But the Bills taking a totally different approach.

PTR

And why not. The last approach definitely did not work. Gailey came in with a bunch of scrubs from his Georgia Tech days.

I can't believe I'm getting excited about the Bills again. I hate myself! All they've done is take an early lead in the off-season hirings, and I'm already imagining an awesome team battling with the Pats for the AFC East.

Another cultural difference. Thanks for putting the team first Ralph. Sit back and enjoy your franchise.

Awesome!

Not only good experienced coaches but from a division rival makes it all the more better!

Now a good QB and a few more "parts" and things are VERY exciting for the very near future!

An answer at QB is central to it all. I look for big steps forward on the D side of the ball.

Except this year we are scoring hot young chicks instead of 60 year old ex-beauty queens.

PTR

Exactly, a totally different mindset and a totally different regime in the football dept... We should be (cautiously) optimistic right now, lots of promise especially with the existing talent on the roster

Ummmmm . . . . see my avatar.

Ummm i am a little Uncomfortable with that Joe.

20 years I love your attitude.

" Reality is I have never seen the franchise move this fast. Never. It's very hard to avoid a sense that a real legitimate transformation is taking place. "

Interesting and very nearly exciting. What the heck is going on around Bills drive?

The players must be freaking out. For better or worse.

This time around it's definitely a different feeling.

Ralph on being told by Russ Brandon that the Bills have hired Jim O'Neil to coach the defensive backs:

"We hired who?

Jim O'Neil?

When I was growing up we had a neighbor named Jim O'Neil. Old Man O'Neil (chuckling to himself). I used to cut his lawn. He had a big lawn, corner lot, biggest yard in the neighborhood. I cut it with an old push mower. He'd sit on his lawn chair in the shade with a big glass of lemonade. If I missed a spot, he'd put down his drink on an end table, take off his straw hat, stand up slowly, smooth out the creases in his dungarees, and yell across the lawn at me, "Wilson, you missed a spot!" Those were the days you could yell at a neighbor's kids. And he could yell that old McNeil. Lungs like leather. And that wasn't all. I used to shovel McNeil's driveway during the winter. Truth is I didn't really want to work for McNeil. He was a bad tipper for one thing. But my Pappi made me. Said it builds character to work for peanuts. I saved every dime I made from that old man Neilson.

Every summer and winter from the 4th grade on till my senior year in high school I worked for old man Neilson. He drove a Ford. I used to wash that Ford, a brand new Galaxy. Neilson liked Fords and I have to admit, every time I washed and waxed that car for him I dreamed about someday having a nice Ford of my own. Those were the days of my youth. I was so busy between school and working for old man Neely that I didn't have much time leftover. Homework at night and church on Sundays. Being as I was busy all the time, it ended up that I pretty much saved every dime I made from Neely. He was a cheap bastard though. In eight years I never got a raise.

I remember the day he died. It was around Christmas of my senior year in high school. I came home from school one day knowing that I'd probably have to shovel his driveway and what do I see? An ambulance in old O'Neil's driveway. He musta been in his 90s by that time. When I first started working for him in the 4th grade his wife had already passed away. He outlived one of his daughters too. Apparently his other daughter came over to bring over some Christmas gifts and found O'Neil sitting in his recliner. She thought he was sleeping at first but came to realize that he'd kicked the bucket. When I found out he'd gone to meet his maker, I admit to having mixed feelings. That old rattlesnake taught me everything I know about hard work and thriftiness. I have to admit to having a fair amount of respect for the old guy. Later when they cleaned out his house they found a fortune in gold coins, silver coins, and stacks of currency stuffed in the mattress. No one could figure out how he could have saved that much money from his modest job of working at the mill for most of his life. They reckon he saved pretty much every cent he ever made.

Anyways Russell my boy, pull up a seat.

What have you come here to tell me?"

Ralph on being told by Russ Brandon that the Bills have hired Jim O'Neil to coach the defensive backs:

"We hired who?

Jim O'Neil?

When I was growing up we had a neighbor named Jim O'Neil. Old Man O'Neil (chuckling to himself). I used to cut his lawn. He had a big lawn, corner lot, biggest yard in the neighborhood. I cut it with an old push mower. He'd sit on his lawn chair in the shade with a big glass of lemonade. If I missed a spot, he'd put down his drink on an end table, take off his straw hat, stand up slowly, smooth out the creases in his dungarees, and yell across the lawn at me, "Wilson, you missed a spot!" Those were the days you could yell at a neighbor's kids. And he could yell that old McNeil. Lungs like leather. And that wasn't all. I used to shovel McNeil's driveway during the winter. Truth is I didn't really want to work for McNeil. He was a bad tipper for one thing. But my Pappi made me. Said it builds character to work for peanuts. I saved every dime I made from that old man Neilson.

Every summer and winter from the 4th grade on till my senior year in high school I worked for old man Neilson. He drove a Ford. I used to wash that Ford, a brand new Galaxy. Neilson liked Fords and I have to admit, every time I washed and waxed that car for him I dreamed about someday having a nice Ford of my own. Those were the days of my youth. I was so busy between school and working for old man Neely that I didn't have much time leftover. Homework at night and church on Sundays. Being as I was busy all the time, it ended up that I pretty much saved every dime I made from Neely. He was a cheap bastard though. In eight years I never got a raise.

I remember the day he died. It was around Christmas of my senior year in high school. I came home from school one day knowing that I'd probably have to shovel his driveway and what do I see? An ambulance in old O'Neil's driveway. He musta been in his 90s by that time. When I first started working for him in the 4th grade his wife had already passed away. He outlived one of his daughters too. Apparently his other daughter came over to bring over some Christmas gifts and found O'Neil sitting in his recliner. She thought he was sleeping at first but came to realize that he'd kicked the bucket. When I found out he'd gone to meet his maker, I admit to having mixed feelings. That old rattlesnake taught me everything I know about hard work and thriftiness. I have to admit to having a fair amount of respect for the old guy. Later when they cleaned out his house they found a fortune in gold coins, silver coins, and stacks of currency stuffed in the mattress. No one could figure out how he could have saved that much money from his modest job of working at the mill for most of his life. They reckon he saved pretty much every cent he ever made.

And it took Ralph 4 hours to tell that story.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"We hired who?

Jim O'Neil?

:lol: hilarious!

Must be you didn't see the gag order on poking fun . . .

Yes.

For one reason or another, I sense my time here is short.

Glad you got a chuckle!

Don't go yourself blacklisted . . . always appreciate your posts. Well thought out and rarley snarky.

But that one was funny!

The players must be freaking out. For better or worse.

This time around it's definitely a different feeling.

Wood seems to be excited. I think he was hating the old regime.

Awesome!

Not only good experienced coaches but from a division rival makes it all the more better!

Now a good QB and a few more "parts" and things are VERY exciting for the very near future!

Well we are certainly not stealin that from the yets.

"We hired who?

Jim O'Neil?

Legendary, dude.

Don't go yourself blacklisted . . . always appreciate your posts. Well thought out and rarley snarky.

But that one was funny!

Wood seems to be excited. I think he was hating the old regime.

Yes i gathered that too : ).

SJBF You sir are a true classic. And thanks for the delightful storytime :thumbsup: