Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please for the love of God NOT a 3/4 system. We need to design a defense based on the quality of players NOT fit them into a system, Jesus has no one learned anything?

Tim-

Stop being married to a scheme for christ sake. Every good defense in the NFL is versatile and for the record the Jets play a hybrid 3/4 4/6. Regardless of the base alignment of the defense we still need linebackers and depth anyway.

I'll add this about Pettine's involvement vs. Rex Ryan with the Raven's defense, etc.

Rex wasn't the Ravens DC original either - Marvin Lewis was - Rex inherited that Baltimore defense from him and brought it to the Jets.

Since then, one DC after another has been able to continue the tradtion and effectiveness of the scheme - due in no small part to guys like Ray Lewis, of course, but the point is, I don't assume it's all about Rex - even if he tries to tell everyone it is.

This could could turn Gilmore into as good a player as Revis.....

I wouldn't go that far but it would help our overall defense and instead of the sit back vanilla scheme we'd start dictating the play instead of hoping we make a stop

..., Jesus has no one learned anything?

Dear heaven, does noone here READ anything before they respond to it????

A 3-4 ACTUALLY NEEDS FEWER PURE LB's THAN A 4-3!!!

I wouldn't go that far but it would help our overall defense and instead of the sit back vanilla scheme we'd start dictating the play instead of hoping we make a stop

Well that is so true - every time we heard Wanny brag about how simple his scheme was we should have been worried. Simple schemes are not how you get Brady making mistakes.

Throw in a Jarvis Jones to rotate with Anderson and we'll really be dictating things. :beer:

Rotate with Anderson/Mario i meant. we'd have beasts on the outside every snap.

Dear heaven, does noone here READ anything before they respond to it????

A 3-4 ACTUALLY NEEDS FEWER PURE LB's THAN A 4-3!!!

Well that is so true - every time we heard Wanny brag about how simple his scheme was we should have been worried. Simple schemes are not how you get Brady making mistakes.

And...? Your point that we need fewer pure linebackers means what?

I'll wait to see who and what we're actually going to do before I deliver my opinions, but our defense is only missing a couple of spots to be good. Marrone needs to stop, watch film before jumping the gun on this, IMO.

Tim-

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/01/jets_deny_oakland_permission_t.html

One thing Rexy doesn't strike me as is vindictive. Still, with no GM in place (that's still true, isn't it) I wonder who approval will come from.

You are really wrong here. A year or so ago he denied Dennis Thruman, the secondary coach permision to interview with Raiders for Def coordinator permison...Rex is all about Rex........

per the WGR report his contract expires this season

And he refused an extension.

Isn't a great feeling to have the Bills HC looking to fill out his staff while the choices are plentiful compared to other years when the Bills were picking thru scraps.

But would he bring Aaron Maybin back with him?

Like many others have stated, worry less about scheme and focus on finding the best man for the job.

I highly doubt that Maybin was brought in because the Jets had no pass rusher, The Bills do there would be no need for maybin

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/01/jets_deny_oakland_permission_t.html

You are really wrong here. A year or so ago he denied Dennis Thruman, the secondary coach permision to interview with Raiders for Def coordinator permison...Rex is all about Rex........

A guy not with an expiring contract tho, correct?

To deny it here would be INCREDIBLY vindictive.

And he refused an extension.

Isn't a great feeling to have the Bills HC looking to fill out his staff while the choices are plentiful compared to other years when the Bills were picking thru scraps.

Plus its an aggressive move.....certainly puts the Jets on "defense" (pun intended).....whether he gets the job or not, the Jets have all kinds of damage control issues to react to from just the fact the Bills made the request and apparently let it go public. Great move if they don't do anything else with this guy!