Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Russ was true to his word. This is definitely DIFFERENT. I don't think the old regime would ever be dumb enough to go after a college coach with a mediocre record in a bad conference. Oh wait, isn't that how we got CHAN?

Well I really doubt we couldnt have landed this guy even if ralph were still in charge. The idea was to clear ralph out to remove an obstacle to landing a big name coach. He's hardly one if the bigger names floating around. So far theres no "Russ effect"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

He was a glorified offensive line coach with the Saints. Sean Peyton was the HC and OC and called all of the plays. Don't be fooled by the title

Yep. But who knows , couldn't get much worse at OBD, so why not try this guy? The average knucklehead Bills fan gets the Bronx-born sideline screamer they crave , OBD gets a team - friendly contract and a low end staff a new owner can easily blow away and replace when he takes over. Has Russ Brandon (Syracuse guy, BTW) written all over it. What's not to like? ;)

Edited by 8and8Forever

Well I really doubt we couldnt have landed this guy even if ralph were still in charge. The idea was to clear ralph out to remove an obstacle to landing a big name coach. He's hardly one if the bigger names floating. So far theres no "Russ effect"

Sure there is. Russ and Marrone know each other. This would seem to be a Russ hire. I doubt if Nix and Whaley had much say at all.

We'll be looking for a new coach in 2016. Same crap every damned time.

At which point we won't be able to get a good coach after 3 more losing seasons and the threat of the team moving at the end of the 7th year in our Ralph Wilson Stadium lease agreement. This was our one shot. We have good talent on both sides of the ball and things were looking promising. I'm shocked and saddened. What a bust

WOW! Exciting! Blown-away!

A mediocre coach from a mediocre team, from a crap of a conference.

They better get extra personnel in to handle the flood of new season ticket buyers in Orchard Park today!

And I'm sure there will be a line of top O & D coordinators falling all over themselves to get on this guys staff.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

I take it your upset. He knows offense. He probably won't call plays which I want. I want an offensive coordinator calling his own and the head coach managing the game.

This guy wasn't hired by saying look I don't have Nfl connections I am going to have a hard time assembling a staff: I would guess its mostly assembled and I think it will be good.

Sure there is. Russ and Marrone know each other. This would seem to be a Russ hire. I doubt if Nix and Whaley had much say at all.

I'm talking in the sense of a big name not coming here like a shanahan or harbaugh because they refuse to deal with a meddling ralph. I don't see a B player like marrone without as many options seeing that as a reason to have turned us down

Rumor is Chip Kelly wants total control of football operations & Cleveland is willing to give it to him, I think that's why the Bills & the Eagles could be next to pick another coach, Marrone was rumored to be the Eagles second choice.

its just rumor but strange the Bills sign him so early this morning so maybe there is some credibility to the rumor

He was the Jets Oline coach from 2001-2005 the went on to the Sainrs. You don't get 5 nfl interviews on accident.

He has more nfl connection than most here think. He will put together a good staff.

He wasn't my first choice but I kinda like it. He is a firey in your face guy, just what we need.

I don't think he's coming as some are calling the "cheapest" option. He was being interviewed by 5 or 6 teams.

Also the Cleveland's backup plan crap is stupid. Last night they were saying the Browns might flat out choose him over Kelly.

This guy is super prepared from what I have seen. I honestly believe we made a good choice.

I don't know the guy, so I appreciate this post putting this hiring into some perspective!! I can't imagine Brandon going with the Syracuse guy because he grew up there, the cheapest guy or any of the other lame justifications that others on the board quickly threw out there...