Andy Dalton = Fitz junior

Big Turk

Dalton has always struck me as Cinderella at the ball and you're just waiting for midnight.

I wasn't going to do this but phypon's comment up above calls for it.

Q: what did Cinderella do when she got to the ball?

A: she gagged.

Edited by gumby

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have had it with many people on this board saying the Bills missed out on Andy Dalton.

At the same time, I do not think it is fair to label Dalton as a bust either.

The Bengals are an improving team, but not an elite team.

Despite their defensive play and the presence of Dalton & Green, the Bengals have made the playoffs only as a wild card. The # 2 wild card at that.

One glaring statistic for the Bengals is that in the past two seasons their record against their division rivals, the Ravens & Steelers is 2-6.

I also find it amazing that Marvin Lewis remains as the head coach. In his 10 years with the Bengals they have made it to the playoffs four times, two of those as division champions. Yet all four playoff appearances resulted in losses. And Lewis' record as head coach is 79-80-1. Most interesting.

To get back to Dalton, I see know reason why he could not turn out to be a very good QB in this league. He has only been in the league for two seasons, so it is a bit unfair for all the haters to condemn him or label him as a bust.

This same logic applies to those who say the Bills blew it when they did not draft him. Again, Dalton has only been in the league for two seasons, and at times has not looked that impressive.

So let's hold off on all this nonsense of how great or terrible Dalton is. Wait another year or two and see how the guy is doing then.

Edited by Mark Vader

Sometimes I think Im in another dimension on the board. Are you guys really saying Andy Dalton is Fitz junior? I mean seriously have any of you seen Fitz play? Have you seen Dalton play? He's been in the league 2 years and went to the playoffs both times. Fitz been in the league what 8 times 4 different teams and how playoff games he been too? Don't worry i'll wait... Its gonna be a good excuse I can tell...

I said Dalton's potential was a marginally better Fitz before the draft. People started creaming themselves over him and bad mouthed Buddy for passing on him.

People are finally coming to their senses.

Yep, we're all glad we passed on a rookie who took his team to the playoffs.

Dalton is as superior to Fitz as getting smacked in the face is superior to getting kicked in the nuts.

OK, THAT was funny!!! The thing is, I don't really agree.

The QB I would use for the sake of this discussion is Matt Schaub. I would call him a perfect example of a QB who is GOOD. He will never be as great as Elway, Brady, P. Manning, etc. But he is clearly good enough to lead a good team to the playoffs, perhaps even a superbowl. When a team has a QB as good (again, not great) as Schaub, you can use draft picks on players such as Watt, etc. instead of chasing qbs. In fact, I am hoping that if there really is a lack of star qbs in this class (which appears to be the case), we can find one who will at some point play at the level of Schaub.

So imo, the difference between Dalton and Fitz is that Dalton has a good shot at being about as good as Schaub. He isn't quite as accurate, but seems more mobile. Fitz otoh looks as if he will not reach this higher plateau. And I am being kind.

In summary, are the Bills worse off for not drafting Dalton? Yes, I believe they are.

Jmo.

I keep hearing how Dalton's a good young QB, but to me he just looks like a younger version of Fitz. They had nearly identical stats this year and that dreadful performance today against Houston looked mighty Fitz like...

Dalton is just a younger Fitzpatrick...I am glad the Bills didn't draft him...

There has been a lot of clamoring on this board that the Bills should have drafted him. He is exhibit "B" - right behind Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick (you pick your favorite) of another miss draft opportunity. Unfortunately, the facts get in the way. Look at their stats this season, they are almost identical. Except for one thing . . .

What Dalton has, that Fitz doesn't have, is a DEFENSE!

Sometimes I think Im in another dimension on the board. Are you guys really saying Andy Dalton is Fitz junior? I mean seriously have any of you seen Fitz play? Have you seen Dalton play? He's been in the league 2 years and went to the playoffs both times. Fitz been in the league what 8 times 4 different teams and how playoff games he been too? Don't worry i'll wait... Its gonna be a good excuse I can tell...

Yep, we're all glad we passed on a rookie who took his team to the playoffs.

Yes, I am sure Cincinnati made it to the playoffs not because of a defense that was ranked within top 10 in both 2011 and 2012.

The OP was comparing Dalton to Fitzpatrick.

So he was. And you brought up their respective W-L records as "the only stat that matters".

It seems like a valid point that if W-L is the only relevant stat for QB, it must be the only relevant stat for other players.

Perhaps the Bengals solid to good defensive play and the Bill's Swiss Cheese Defense might have some relevence here?

Your right. I guess the Patriots would still be dominate without Brady.

There was that season when Brady busted his knee .... let's see, 2008?.....I guess they must have really collapsed that year...huh, 11-5.

And Cassel has really been such a gem for the Chiefs since.

I'd love to be an 11-5 team at this point. And I hate the Hoodie, but he can coach.

Dalton and AJ Green have been a good combo, but if the Bengals had the Bills defense, they'd have sat out January the last 2 years.