Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GR reported that at the Whisenhunt interview, the Bills floated the idea of Alex Smith. Supposedly Ian Rapoport was reporting this.

My concern is, if true, who would leak that and why?

one thing that may be interesting - the bills were a black hole for information. no one knew what ralph intended. the new setup might be a bit more free with leaking things to the major press (not saying its here, just something that danced through my thoughts when hearing bills gossip thats been totally non-existent in the week prior to the change).

here, im not sure who would float it. KW may have loose lips with some of his guys. mention it to an assistant that mentions it to a.... and so on down the line. suddenly its well known that we like smith and kelly because KW thinks thats the direction?

Edited by NoSaint

-Whisenhunt

-Horton

-Grimm

-Chip Kelly

-Hue Jackson

-Doug Marrone

-Lovie Smith

-Mike McCoy

Bills apparently already interviewed Whisenhunt and Horton yesterday and are interviewing Grimm today.

http://www.cbssports...coaching-search

of all those guys the ones that get me excited are McCoy who I always liked how Carolina and now Denver's offense has run and shows how innovative and versatile he has been. Also Ray Horton who runs a tremendous D which is similar to Pittsburgh which has always been successful.

I also hope they take a run at San Fran and Atlanta's people.

Just not sold on Chip Kelly's style of Ball as physical teams like Stanford have shut them down but he is a great organizer and manager and if he could adapt to the League then it would be a good hire.

I hear what you are saying.

But what if they secured an interview with somebody like John Gruden, but he wasn't available until next week? And at the same time, the guys on the Arizona coaching staff (along with Chip Kelly) were available Tuesday and Wednesday?

Just saying.

Yes - still, I would be really disappointed if they walked away from Arizona with Whisenhunt as coach without really having "left no stone unturned".

Would be crazy...

I just don't understand the attention the AZ staff is getting. They were a bad team, and the Bills are gonna pick the scraps off the Cardinals carcase? I don't see it going down like this.

Despite the self defense mechanism that is the attitude of WNY'ers, Buffalo has a lot to offer as an opportunity for a coach. Success here is forever, it is not fleeting save being a double murderer. Allegedly. The prophet, maybe Godlike status of former stars Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly speak to this.

The team has young dynamic players at many skill positions, and in the trenches. Shore up QB and LB, and make a few decent coaching desicions and the team can be good. The Bills need to make a run at a dynamic head coach to match.

Chip Kelly would, at the very least, a bold move. As would bringing in one of the Super Bowl winning coaches, minus Billick. He would be a prudent hire along with Lovie Smith, and I guess the 'hot' coordinators would be to. The rest of the recycled losing record coaches are uninspired at best and maddening.

the lovie smith (firing) reminds me of when the chicago bulls fired coach doug collins in favor of phil jackson. collins was successful, the team was making the playoffs and "on the rise". however, GM jerry krause cited that collins took the team from "point A to point B" but that their destination was point C.

fortunately for the bulls, they caught lightening in a bottle with a maturing michael jordan and everyone smelled like a rose except for collins (who IMHO could have had he stayed).

the bottom line is that a championship run requires high level personnel and competent coaching. lovie smith has proved his capability for competent coaching and offers the bills the lowest risk to scratch "coach" off of the list of ingrediants for a run at greatness.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is 0.00% chance that Russ Grimm gets The Bills job...Or any other HC job in the NFL for that matter...Probably ever...0.00...And if it sounds too familiar remember you have the same GM as we did last time recommending this HC...Ultimately it will be Brandon's decision this time around...But still... B-)

I'm wondering if some of these interviews are maybe not for the HC job, but to guage interest in co-ordinators? Usually the coach picks his own guys, but maybe they are trying to get a feel on some of the possible co-ordinators that might be brought in by the guy they want as HC?

Lovie Smith makes the most sense and is actually gunning for this job.

Naturally, that means he won't get it.

yeah, he's really done well with a talented Bears team lately.

the lovie smith (firing) reminds me of when the chicago bulls fired coach doug collins in favor of phil jackson. collins was successful, the team was making the playoffs and "on the rise". however, GM jerry krause cited that collins took the team from "point A to point B" but that their destination was point C.

fortunately for the bulls, they caught lightening in a bottle with a maturing michael jordan and everyone smelled like a rose except for collins (who IMHO could have had he stayed).

the bottom line is that a championship run requires high level personnel and competent coaching. lovie smith has proved his capability for competent coaching and offers the bills the lowest risk to scratch "coach" off of the list of ingrediants for a run at greatness.

pretthy weak comparison considering that Collins was taking the Bulls to the playoffs and Smith wasn't taking the Bears to the playoffs-thats why he got canned.

How does Hue Jackson make this list so soon after his debacle at Oakland?

There are many people in the Bay Area who believe that Hue Jackson did a great job in Oakland under very adverse circumstances.

GR reported that at the Whisenhunt interview, the Bills floated the idea of Alex Smith. Supposedly Ian Rapoport was reporting this.

My concern is, if true, who would leak that and why?

Believe it or not, a lot of leaks are intentional and strategic. Teams are interested in getting feedback from potential decisions and this is one of the ways they do this.

Or as an old boss of mine used to say, "Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes."

I'm wondering if some of these interviews are maybe not for the HC job, but to guage interest in co-ordinators? Usually the coach picks his own guys, but maybe they are trying to get a feel on some of the possible co-ordinators that might be brought in by the guy they want as HC?

LOL. Yes that has been suggested.

Setting your sarcasm aside, from what I've been reading here and elsewhere, more people believe that Lovie's teams have overachieved than underachieved.

Would be crazy...

I just don't understand the attention the AZ staff is getting. They were a bad team, and the Bills are gonna pick the scraps off the Cardinals carcase? I don't see it going down like this.

Despite the self defense mechanism that is the attitude of WNY'ers, Buffalo has a lot to offer as an opportunity for a coach. Success here is forever, it is not fleeting save being a double murderer. Allegedly. The prophet, maybe Godlike status of former stars Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly speak to this.

The team has young dynamic players at many skill positions, and in the trenches. Shore up QB and LB, and make a few decent coaching desicions and the team can be good. The Bills need to make a run at a dynamic head coach to match.

Chip Kelly would, at the very least, a bold move. As would bringing in one of the Super Bowl winning coaches, minus Billick. He would be a prudent hire along with Lovie Smith, and I guess the 'hot' coordinators would be to. The rest of the recycled losing record coaches are uninspired at best and maddening.

Sometimes the teams play isn't all because of the coach, and sometimes the teams faults may have been because of other reasons. Arizona had some good parts to their team, the defence was pretty good but they were held back by the offence. Its possible that the Bills want Horton, but not as a HC, and if they hire Wiz as the HC he will bring horton over. They also probably feel that the situation in Arizona was not all on Wiz, but with the bills he would do a better job.

You aren't going to get Top tier experienced coaches with proven track records available right now, those guys very rarely get fired. Its usually teams with bad records that fire their coaches and coaching staffs. The problem with going after a co-ordinator with no HC experience or a college guy is that they are High Risk/potential High Reward guys. You have no idea how they would do as a HC in the NFL, and although they have the possibility to become the next Lombardi, odds are better they may just be a great co-ordinator (Wade, Williams, etc.) or better in College.

Didn't the Bills ask for an interview with Grimm 3 years ago? ... and got a "thanks-but-no-thanks" reply from him?

If he wasn't interested then, why should the Bills be interested in him now? Don't think the Cardinals have done anything particularly noteworthy over the past 3 years to warrant giving him another shot .....

Lovie Smith should be target #1. Get a FA QB like Alex Smith and draft a QB in round 1 or 2 and focus the rest of the draft on defense. Maybe the AZ defensive coordinator for that side of the ball. Smith is a guy who has won more than he has lost. He's looking at us and would take the job. He has won with middle of the road QBs and a really inconsistent offensive line. We will be in the playoffs next year if we do this. I say Alex Smith because he does not turn the ball over and we could focus on running first. He would be an upgrade over what we have now and he has something to prove at this point in his career.

pretthy weak comparison considering that Collins was taking the Bulls to the playoffs and Smith wasn't taking the Bears to the playoffs-thats why he got canned.

He went 10-6 and missed the playoffs due to a tie breaker, lets not make it sound like they played meaningless football all December. Even Ditka said he thinks it was a bad move firing him because he missed the playoffs when they were so close

Lovie Smith should be target #1. Get a FA QB like Alex Smith and draft a QB in round 1 or 2 and focus the rest of the draft on defense. Maybe the AZ defensive coordinator for that side of the ball. Smith is a guy who has won more than he has lost. He's looking at us and would take the job. He has won with middle of the road QBs and a really inconsistent offensive line. We will be in the playoffs next year if we do this. I say Alex Smith because he does not turn the ball over and we could focus on running first. He would be an upgrade over what we have now and he has something to prove at this point in his career.

i would be very happy with alex smith- product of an excellent system- and a FA stop-gap makes sense based on the depth / skill level of this year's QB class.

heard on ESPN this morning that Smith's lack of success on offense takes him off of the A-List of available coaches.

thanks ESPN!

Didn't the Bills ask for an interview with Grimm 3 years ago? ... and got a "thanks-but-no-thanks" reply from him?

If he wasn't interested then, why should the Bills be interested in him now? Don't think the Cardinals have done anything particularly noteworthy over the past 3 years to warrant giving him another shot .....

becauae it was announced that the 90+ year old owner I no longer meddling in football decisions?

Most of the people here who are saying "hire Lovie" are doing so with the caveat that he bring with himself a proven OC.

understood- i was actually thanking ESPN (literally) for publicly downgrading Smith such that it could help the Bills hire him.