Why is everyone so high in Whaley?

theesir

I mean, besides being young and from the Pittsburgh org, what are the credentials that make home such a no brainier pick to many of you? Wasn't he part of this mess for the past 3 years?

As fans, from the outside looking in, we have no way to evaluate or give an objective opinion on Whaley. There's just no way for fans to definitely determine if he would be a good GM or even one that is qualified or not. It's really the people in the front offices that would have any indication on the guy. He is a wildcard.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

He's got respect already all around the league, that's a big part of it.

The more reading I do, the more I think you hit it on the head. He is respected around the league and is already "in-house".

One part of the theory is that Whaley is viewed as having more of a role in their FA and other pro personnel moves, and less on their draft choices.

IF (and that's not a certaintly) that is true, it speaks well for him - the Bills have had very few bad FA plays and a lot of extremely good pick-ups (Chandler and Urbik come to mind).

Again - I am not saying I know what, if anything, he was more or less responsible for, but that story has been out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only question with the brass right now regarding the GM position is whether to promote Whaley to the top job, not necessarily to fire and replace Nix with an outside candidate.

Tim Graham tweeted earlier that his gut feeling is that Nix will remain with the organization in some capacity but step aside as GM. Many of us have expected this all along.

Edited by Punch

It was kind of funny when it happened:

When the Bills hired Nix, there was fairly widespread criticism that they didn't even consider hiring Whaley for the GM job.

Then Nix hired Whaley as his assistant.

Good point