Why is everyone so high in Whaley?

theesir

because every refutable source boasts how he is "widely respected around the league", because he was sought after for GM positions by Colts and Chiefs, because he was with Pittsburgh and learned from the best, because the plan all along has been for Buddy to be the GM bridge to Whaley, because I dont think that this "regime" (including Nix and Whaley) has been terrible what so ever....we havent had any Mike Williams or JP Losmans, we have more talent on this roster than when Nix/Whaley arrived - especially via the FA side of things that Whaley was supposedly in charge of

Not every GM/regime is going to hit on 100 percent of their draft picks, there is NO ONE (not even the legendary Bill Polian for some of you) who has ever, or will ever do that...the idea is, you do your due diligence, and pick the best player at the time when your name comes up....I firmly believe we have done that - the worst draft by Nix/Whaley was when we drafted to try and fill 3-4 switch needs...and even then it looks like they may have "hit" on Carrington....yes we have not drafted our QB but that has more to do with Chan's love for Fitz and Buddys love for Chan...all of which are gone....

Im more than excited to have "more of the same" from the personnel people at OBD....

I mean, besides being young and from the Pittsburgh org, what are the credentials that make home such a no brainier pick to many of you? Wasn't he part of this mess for the past 3 years?

The fact that several other teams are rumored to be targeting him as their GM must mean he is pretty well regarded inside NFL circles as an up and coming talent...

because every refutable source boasts how he is "widely respected around the league", because he was sought after for GM positions by Colts and Chiefs, because he was with Pittsburgh and learned from the best, because the plan all along has been for Buddy to be the GM bridge to Whaley, because I dont think that this "regime" (including Nix and Whaley) has been terrible what so ever....we havent had any Mike Williams or JP Losmans, we have more talent on this roster than when Nix/Whaley arrived - especially via the FA side of things that Whaley was supposedly in charge of

Not every GM/regime is going to hit on 100 percent of their draft picks, there is NO ONE (not even the legendary Bill Polian for some of you) who has ever, or will ever do that...the idea is, you do your due diligence, and pick the best player at the time when your name comes up....I firmly believe we have done that - the worst draft by Nix/Whaley was when we drafted to try and fill 3-4 switch needs...and even then it looks like they may have "hit" on Carrington....yes we have not drafted our QB but that has more to do with Chan's love for Fitz and Buddys love for Chan...all of which are gone....

Im more than excited to have "more of the same" from the personnel people at OBD....

You're saying he turned down the GM job in Indy to come to Buffalo.....to be Buddy's lieutenant?

You're saying he turned down the GM job in Indy to come to Buffalo.....to be Buddy's lieutenant?

no im saying he interviewed for that job, not saying it was offered to him, just that he was a "finalist"

and as Buddy just said in the press conference when asked, "why are you confident Whaley will stick around if hes offered a GM job", Buddy said "well im confident because he has turned them down before"

ya know the saying, where there is smoke, there is fire? seems like lots of people talk about and like Whaley, and im guessing its not because he has a firm hand shake and a nice hair cut...

I mean, besides being young and from the Pittsburgh org, what are the credentials that make home such a no brainier pick to many of you? Wasn't he part of this mess for the past 3 years?

The same reason why people were excited about Buddy Nix. Because Wikipedia says he's a good talent evaluator.

Back when we were about to hire Nix, there was an article (I believe it was on SI, still searching) about up and coming young GMs working for winning franchises. One of those names was Doug Whaley. Take it FWIW.