Brandon Meets w/Ralph, No Nix Announcement Until 1/1/13

Chilly

The coaching's been so bad that I can't begin to evaluate any of these drafts. How can anyone say whether we have talent or not? Look at the standings. If these players turn out to be the same quality of the Nix coaches, we're really in trouble!

Did anyone notice how hard NIx's boy "Lights Out' played yesterday? Oh I see. His contract is up, option year warrior! and Nix spent a ton of money on him. couldn't afford playmaker like super bowl winner Jabari Greer though. Even Drayton Florence could have helped our young DBs, oh couldn't afford him either.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

two big reasons IMHO to move on from Nix:

1) luring a respectable (preferably big-time) name HC to Buffalo becomes exponentially more difficult with Nix staying on as GM; it is difficult enough with RW as owner to land that big fish as HC. Nix represents the multiple failures already cited in this thread, and a top-notch HC needs to have the confidence that he can hitch his wagon to a progressive, forward-thinking GM. The dynamics of the NFL have proven themselves to change again with dynamic young QBs like RG3 & R Wilson, and these dynamics seem to be unrecognized by Nix.

2) scores of empty seats galore for the last 4 home games; it's no coincidence at all that it was Brandon who met with Ralph, not Nix. I am betting Russ sold Ralph on the idea that the fans have spoken with their absence, and he cannot make lemonade out of lemons, hence selling Ralph on the wholesale change required as a byproduct of pure economics, plain & simple.

Excellent post.

Gruden and Cowher are like hollywood starlets. You can approach them and try to get something going, but in reality, they choose you, not the other way around. And they have better options than you.

No need to get personal.

When have I ever been mean to you?

you can start contacting people in loose terms today to see what their schedules will be etc... and by the end of the night have stuff set up, one way or the other.

its not unheard of to hire a coach before a GM even (not a great practice but ive even heard it batted around by a few of the teams with openings today.

Marv Levy was the Bills' coach and then recommended hiring of Polian.

Saying you want every QB coming out doesn't make you a talent evaluator. Last year was a rare year a lot of good QBs were available. Most years you're lucky to have one. Nix had made good picks. Spiller, Glenn. But he's missed a few too.

PTR

Huh? Yes, last year was in fact a rare year in which a lot of good QBs were available in the draft. And your boy Buddy didn't bother to draft one, even though the Bills desperately needed one! The fact that he had a few good picks (actually, it's hard to find any) means nothing. Anyone on this board could have done just as well, if not better. Do you doubt that?

Polian was hired as GM Dec '85. Marv wasn't hired until mid-season '86

My bad!! LOL!! I remembered Marv recommending Polian for a job per his book "Where else would you rather be?" It was for the Chicago Blitz of the USFL.

I most likely missed it, but I don't understand why there isn't more discussion regarding Kyle Shanahan for HC...? Look at what he's done with that Redskins offense and he molded the offense to meet the demands and talents of his young QB, something the BILLS should be looking to do in the near future...and if he hired a good, respectable DC, that might be a really good fit. Cutting edge, young with good NFL genes and a good resume of his own, up and coming....something the BILLS haven't had in many years, if at all.....not the "solution", just a thought, and one I haven't seen bantered about much on this board....

Personally, I would love to see a Holmgren / Reid combo for this team, but that's a wet dream....

I most likely missed it, but I don't understand why there isn't more discussion regarding Kyle Shanahan for HC...? Look at what he's done with that Redskins offense and he molded the offense to meet the demands and talents of his young QB, something the BILLS should be looking to do in the near future...and if he hired a good, respectable DC, that might be a really good fit. Cutting edge, young with good NFL genes and a good resume of his own, up and coming....something the BILLS haven't had in many years, if at all.....not the "solution", just a thought, and one I haven't seen bantered about much on this board....

Personally, I would love to see a Holmgren / Reid combo for this team, but that's a wet dream....

Sounds like you have a West Coast Offense fetish.

:nana:

Nix is a 72 year old good southern guy who likes to smirk and be coy and whatnot. He's made a lot of miscalculations in the draft. Drafting Aaron Williams last year was viewed as smart by the media at the time. Troup was an idiotic choice. I think TJ Graham was a stupid choice too. If the guy was very good, he'd have had a bunch more catches this year, especially considering all the injuries. You can waste your time and trace my pre-draft posts, but I was pushing for Russell Wilson to be taken in the 2nd round. I'd watched him play a bunch for Wisconsin, and thought he would be a perfect pick. Turns out I know more than Buddy!!

He's got to go. He has not improved this team in 3 years. They only won 6 games. Granted, they EASILY could have won 9 games, and Chan would still have a job. Chan's incompetent coaching cost him his job. And Nix's suppport of Chan should get him the heave-ho.

Happy New Year.

i mean... am i the only one that thinks TG should be held to a bit higher standard than:

"buddys meeting with ralph" pause - a few minutes later "actually brandons meeting with ralph - someones about to get canned"

he is an actual reporter after all.

he writes a blog

if you had the time ,you could do it too

The coaching's been so bad that I can't begin to evaluate any of these drafts. How can anyone say whether we have talent or not? Look at the standings. If these players turn out to be the same quality of the Nix coaches, we're really in trouble!

Did anyone notice how hard NIx's boy "Lights Out' played yesterday? Oh I see. His contract is up, option year warrior! and Nix spent a ton of money on him. couldn't afford playmaker like super bowl winner Jabari Greer though. Even Drayton Florence could have helped our young DBs, oh couldn't afford him either.

Very true.

Quite inaccurate. Merriman was not signed for a lot of money, and even less so when he was re-signed at the middle of the season. Drayton Florence WAS re-signed and then was cut. Greer left mid-2009, Nix was hired last day of 2009.

Kyle Shanahan is another coach who, while perhaps very forward thinking, suffered in years the Redskins didn't have a QB, 2010-11. Now that they took one and he and his dad built an offense around him, the coaching staff look geniuses. Same can be said for John Fox going from Carolina to Denver and getting Peyton Manning. It's a credit to them they didn't try to fit Griffin III into a more traditional NFL offense.

FWIW, Ed Kilgore made the point about Fox and a few others in a recent article. Get the QB and many (not all) things fall into place. If you don't have one, it's mighty hard to succeed. It's this simple concept that Nix apparently decided to eschew and while I understand he wanted to build lines first, that mentality is out of the 1980s/early 1990s. There are too many pass/QB friendly rules that facilitate success for a QB out of the gate.

This is why Nix must go. He never devised a plan and if he did, I'm struggling to understand what it was. There is little depth across the roster, the QB position remains a disaster, drafts weren't "top 5 talent evaluator" worthy, defensively they're about as bad as they were in 2010, and he's going on to his second coach if he gets to stay. That's a lot of bad in only 3 seasons.