Marc Trestman is HC of Bears

kellysheroes

They were talking about the Bears search the other day on NFL radio. Basically said it is a run-away train and that the GM seems content to just interview everyone that can spell the word football.

The irony is that the Bears best option could have been argued to re-hire Lovie Smith!

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

You see the crawl at the bottom of the ESPN: "Sources report Lovie Smith to be hired as Bears Head Coach………"

Your line about spelling football reminded me of this (you HAVE TO click on the link, the photo is priceless):

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pittsburgh-school-district-leads-nation-in-ability,2861/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were talking about the Bears search the other day on NFL radio. Basically said it is a run-away train and that the GM seems content to just interview everyone that can spell the word football. It was concerning in that a good front office usually makes a change when they already have 3 or 4 names that they know they want to go after before they proceed down the road of firing people. The irony is that the Bears best option could have been argued to re-hire Lovie Smith!

Agreed. Shouldn't have been fired in the first place IMO.

So, If they were to rehire him, would he be a bad choice because he is a retread, fired from his last HC gig?

Trestmans name has come up many times almost every year in coaching searches. His team is usually one of the best in the CFL every year, he would ahve been a good pick for them I think

I think so too. He was made a scapegoat. A huge trade for Cutler and not many resources into protecting him. Rumor is that Emery and Co. are using this as an opportunity to poll coordinators about Cutler's abilities and whether his problems originate from within himself or the surrounding cast. This is not a good reputation to have, if true. I think the Bears FO is flailing right now and don't appear to have any direction or strategy to their search.

So, If they were to rehire him, would he be a bad choice because he is a retread, fired from his last HC gig?

Trestmans name has come up many times almost every year in coaching searches. His team is usually one of the best in the CFL every year, he would ahve been a good pick for them I think

:lol: Great question!

Amazingly Jacksonville just fired Mularkey yesterday. They have yet to hire a coach.

Again, there's no assurance that being the early bird will get the fattest worm but it sure does help.

For context:

Gailey was hired on January 19th.

Marrone was hired on January 6th.

Today is January 11th.

Depends on the situation. Maybe someone can refresh my memory from 3 years ago, but I don't think there were that many vacancies in 2010. I don't think it's a secret that Gailey wasn't the Bills' first choice, either. From what I recall, a lot of us weren't happy that the search "took so long".

But considering the high-profile nature of the coaching searches this year (i.e., how much media coverage they had), the Bills looked good to hire a guy that several teams had on their radar and do it quickly while other teams were screwing themselves by thinking Chip Kelly would actually coach in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Amazingly Jacksonville just fired Mularkey yesterday. They have yet to hire a coach.

Again, there's no assurance that being the early bird will get the fattest worm but it sure does help.

For context:

Gailey was hired on January 19th.

Marrone was hired on January 6th.

Today is January 11th.

Depends on the situation. Maybe someone can refresh my memory from 3 years ago, but I don't think there were that many vacancies in 2010. I don't think it's a secret that Gailey wasn't the Bills' first choice, either. From what I recall, a lot of us weren't happy that the search "took so long".

But considering the high-profile nature of the coaching searches this year (i.e., how much media coverage they had), the Bills looked good to hire a guy that several teams had on their radar and do it quickly while other teams were screwing themselves by thinking Chip Kelly would actually coach in the NFL.

If anything it's more important to act first when the market is crowded as it is this year.

When Gailey was hired in 2010 there were 2 other coaching vacancies (if my info is correct).

The Redskins hired Shanny on January 5th.

The Seahawks hired Pete Carroll on January 11th.

If you look back on other years, Gailey's January 19th hire was late by any measure.

There were 3 teams: the Bills, Redskins, and Seahawks. The Seahawks targeted PC and he was their guy all along. The Redskins targeted Shanahan and had to do a little more negotiating. The only really open search was the Bills. Buddy fielded thousands of calls a day and pulled Chan's name. ;)

Could be that he has turned down offers to stay in Montreal, or that teams are leery of bringing in a guy from the CFL?

Also, he's had a nomadic football life, even by the nomadic standards set by football coaches.

And another thing I've pointed out is the question of who he would hire for his staff.

A great football coach isn't very attractive if he can't hire a strong staff who the team and it's fans can feel comfortable with.

Head Coach is like CEO of the football team. He has to delegate.

Whatever happens with the Bears, Cleveland, Jax and others, I feel great that the Bills for once are leading the pack. We had our pick of coordinators while other teams play catch up. Pettine would have been a hot commodity but we snapped him up. Kudos to RB for moving quickly and decisively to remake this team.

I hear that, it looks for once like every one else is the old Bills.

Also, he's had a nomadic football life, even by the nomadic standards set by football coaches.

And another thing I've pointed out is the question of who he would hire for his staff.

A great football coach isn't very attractive if he can't hire a strong staff who the team and it's fans can feel comfortable with.

Head Coach is like CEO of the football team. He has to delegate.

yea - i think the two main things are who does he hire and does a gm want to answer "are you joking - you couldnt even hire an nfl coach you had to go to canada?!?!" from the fan base (especially if he comes out of the gate anything short of on fire winning).

yea - i think the two main things are who does he hire and does a gm want to answer "are you joking - you couldnt even hire an nfl coach you had to go to canada?!?!" from the fan base (especially if he comes out of the gate anything short of on fire winning).

This makes a lot of sense. It may not be fair to this unheralded genius, but he needs another run as OC, or as a major college coach, before he ends up in the NFL.

They were talking about the Bears search the other day on NFL radio. Basically said it is a run-away train and that the GM seems content to just interview everyone that can spell the word football. It was concerning in that a good front office usually makes a change when they already have 3 or 4 names that they know they want to go after before they proceed down the road of firing people. The irony is that the Bears best option could have been argued to re-hire Lovie Smith!

There are two things to keep in mind about the Bears search though:

A) It's a two interview process.

B) They are looking at playoff teams coordinators as well. Tom Clements-GB, Rick Dennison-HOU, Mike McCoy-DEN, Darrell Bevell-SEA, and Bruce Arians who was just released from the hospital.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0113-bears-coach-chicago--20130113,0,5919829.story