Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

One thing I will say and do like about the Rooney Rule is that even though a lot of the minority interviews are shams and the teams have no intention whatsoever of hiring the guy (with little to do with race), it's a good practice for these candidates to prepare for and take part in that could help them when they get legitimate interviews.

I think it also gives these guys an opportunity to meet and get to know influential people who wouldn't typically be within their social circle.

A sort of expansion of the Old Boys Network, if you will.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should interview Chuck Modkins right now before he leaves the building for the HC job just to get the Rooney Rule out of the way, even if they want to interview Lovie Smith or any other minority candidate.

Exactly. "Hey Curtis, come over here for a second. We have a couple questions for you".

Chan seemed like a nice guy. I wish him the best. Being a nice guy does not translate to winning however. Hitching himself to the EPIC loser Fitzpatrick proved to be too much.

Or allowing a DC like Dave Wannstooge / George Edwards as your DC is equally moronic.

I hope the Bills hire the biggest pr!ck on earth, just as long as he wins IDGAF.

I wish Chan Gailey well, he did his best.

It is a sad day.

I understand fans who are satisfied and relieved by this move.

I don't really relate to the elation though.

Me either. We still have to see who the GM is going to be - Nix, Whaley, or are they going to throw the entire thing into the crapper and, (here we go round and round) start all over from scratch... again?

He probably goes into retirement now. That's an emotional event for most people.

Interesting thought, and you may be right.

I actually appreciated his comment about Buffalo probably being the first place that fired him that he would be pulling for... It's like telling your girlfriend, listen it's not working out we need to part ways and she looks at you (instead of cursing and crying and yelling she says), well just know that I still love you and of all the other times I been dumped I'll still hope you find happiness (probably)... Classy in my book... He sounded emotional also... Good luck Chan...

Sure. As I said in another thread, the question was about the use of the adjective "classy" with respect to a tweet and not the press conference. That is not an indictment of Coach Gailey nor will a single tweet have any bearing on his future. With the context of the PC, the tweet probably wasn't really even intended as backhanded.

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches?

However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

I really expected the Bills to stand pat with Gailey.

But I guess at the end of the day someone had to get the axe and he was the logical one.

My big concern now is that with all the other HC firings that the good OC/DC candidates for a HC job are going to have a lot of choices, other than Buffalo, on where to go.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I've been a Bills fan for a long time so before anybody gets to carried away celebrating just remember

Marv is old and soft we can't do any worse

Wade is a fat dumb hick we can't do any worse

Greg is an arrogant blowhard we can't do any worse

Mike is emotional basket case we can't do any worse

Dick is an emotionless zombie we can't do any worse

Chan is (fill in the blank) we can't do any worse

Or allowing a DC like Dave Wannstooge / George Edwards as your DC is equally moronic.

I hope the Bills hire the biggest pr!ck on earth, just as long as he wins IDGAF.

I wish Chan Gailey well, he did his best.

I agree. How "good a guy" the coach is has no relevance to me personally. I want to see us win, period.

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches?

However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

you might keep the staff if there were qualified NFL caliber coaches on it -

but therein lies the problem

I've been a Bills fan for a long time so before anybody gets to carried away celebrating just remember

Marv is old and soft we can't do any worse

Wade is a fat dumb hick we can't do any worse

Greg is an arrogant blowhard we can't do any worse

Mike is emotional basket case we can't do any worse

Dick is an emotionless zombie we can't do any worse

Chan is (fill in the blank) we can't do any worse

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. I think it's our time to get that nut.

Up until a few games back, I was okay giving Chan another year as long as he was willing to move on from Fitz. However, over the past few games, watching the questionable clock management, players giving up, and overall non-use of TJax, it's time.

I've always like Chan personally and am sad to see him upset. It's a business move and nothing personal. As for Nix, I actually don't have an issue with him. Outside of Chan, who I believe he trusted to make coaching and qb decisions, he made most of the calls that most of us would have made.

With that, I would love to see a Coach brought in who uses his team. Not someone who both coaches the team and offense or defense. I want a head coach, an o and d coordinator who each do their own thing. And we need to stop getting players coaches. There needs to be some fear in this team

Just got done watching the Gailey statement. Wow, what a genuinely nice guy.

Sincerely, good luck to you Chan. We'll be rooting for you too.

Absolutely agree. I really wanted this guy to succeed. Unfortunately, it had become apparent that change was needed. Chan is a class act all the way.

I won't hate Gailey the way I hated Mularkey, Jauron or Williams. Not really sure why. Maybe it was the way he came in and how he conducted himself originally? But in the past year he's fallen off tremendously.

+1.. Gailey is the only coach I have actually liked the past 10 years.. Too bad he just isn't a good head coach. I wish him well.

I believe Chan is a good coach. he just keep on playing fitz that really hurt his job the most.. if chan had a QB that can throw deep and don't make poor throws, I believe chan still have his job right now..Like i said before. If fitz still QB for the bills, he going make this new HC look like crap

I feel like if Nix were safe he'd make a statement about Gailey already. I feel like he has or will be fired because of that. What's the delay for then? Any GM that just made such big move for his team would usually address the matter immediately or relatively quickly. But going on four hours later?

Also, I want Nix fired but I don't think now is the time. He's been scouting for months. If you fire him, you better make sure you replace him with a guy who has scouted college QBs as much as he probably has over the last few months (basically they'd need to look towards personnel guys from a team like Philly rather than Atlanta).

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches? However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

I actually had a conversation with Bruce DeHaven about this years ago.

In short, the assistant coaches know that in the vast majority of cases, that they will not be brought back by the new head coach.

In the meantime (in your scenario) they're hanging in limbo. Thus they can't start looking for new work (because they're under contract to the team) and can miss out on the hiring cycle. As a result some of these coaches won't be able to find new jobs while they're hanging in limbo.

This practice of retaining coaches under contract (it does happen) is generally deeply resented by assistant coaches and is considered to be a bad practice by NFL teams as far as making a statement about how they treat employees.