NFL Black Monday for coaches and GMs

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting that "day late and a buck short" feeling again with candidates......

what the F are we awaiting for? Make a move!!!!!!!

The Bills are operating in a carrier pigeon manner in the information age. It's Ralph's way and it obviously doesn't help the Franchise.

Every coach has a shelf life.

And while I think Andy Reid is an excellent ball coach there's just so much stuff that has gone on over there that Reid's departure is as good for him as it is for the Eagles.

It is sad, too. I do not think anything would have been different if he would have left 4 or 5 years ago but his personal life has been tragic in the last so many years. I think it's two sons dead one self inflicted suicide, and another overdosed.

Reid needs to take some time off of football and come back in a booth.

If Nix is gone I wouldn't mind bringing in Tom Heckert, who was whitewashed by the Browns. I think he's done a good job of bringing some solid talent in there. I'm sure his quarterback choices were dictated to a large extent by Holmgren, though I can't believe Weeden is being condemned after one year as a rookie. I think the Browns will be down for another 3 years. We'll see...

Heckert's drafts:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/tom_heckerts_draft_picks_as_cl.html

Um, guys, it's 10 a.m.

Do you really think it makes a difference if they fire everyone at 8 a.m. or 5 p.m.?

Whaley has a contract here, and if the Bills want him as their next GM, they'll get him. Likewise, nobody is going to hire any coaches for a few days at least (remember, Rooney Rule etc. has to be fulfilled in earnest).

Let's just let the next few hours/days unfold before we have a collective meltdown.

I have zero problem with the organization going through this process. Most of the top coordinators who are candidates for head coaching postions aren't even available yet for interviews as they are in the playoffs! And if there is a big name coach out there willing to get back into it, he is not going to jump into a new job without checking out the market first unless he is already set on a particular team. I know it is asking a lot in this instant gratification society, but be patient and let the process work.

Um, guys, it's 10 a.m.

Do you really think it makes a difference if they fire everyone at 8 a.m. or 5 p.m.?

Whaley has a contract here, and if the Bills want him as their next GM, they'll get him. Likewise, nobody is going to hire any coaches for a few days at least (remember, Rooney Rule etc. has to be fulfilled in earnest).

Let's just let the next few hours/days unfold before we have a collective meltdown.

If another teams offers Whaley a GM job and the Bills keep Buddy, Whaley is free to leave for a promotion.

we have followed pretty much the same exact formula annually for quite some time now.

coach breaks down the last game, everyone flies out to detroit on monday, every 3rd year the flight back is a little less crowded.

Not really. Things might be different this year because there are so many coaching and GM vacancies and the Bills have to move fast. I can't remember the last time in recent history Ralph Wilson fired a coach on a Monday, let alone the day after the football season.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Well, the Rooney Rule doesn't state, as far as I know, that you have to interview a minority candidate AFTER your current coach has been fired so time is of the essense. I think it was Mark Kelso on the pregame yesterday who confirmed rumors that there were coacheS in town recently but would't say who nor for what reason, he stated it could have been to pick their brains and discuss other candidates. DIdn't make a lot of sense but the confirmation of these rumors was interesting.

The man chose the NFL over more time with his family. With 2 sons gone what would be the incentive NOT to keep coaching. Taking time off for him with tragedy as the excuse would be inconsistent with his history. It's conceivable that the loss of Jim Johnson is the main reason for Andy's current career trajectory. I wish him luck.

If another teams offers Whaley a GM job and the Bills keep Buddy, Whaley is free to leave for a promotion.

Correct, which is why I said "if the Bills want Whaley as their next GM". Presumably, if that's the direction they're going to go, then that decision has already been made and Whaley would be aware of it.

Correct, which is why I said "if the Bills want Whaley as their next GM". Presumably, if that's the direction they're going to go, then that decision has already been made and Whaley would be aware of it.

Got it, just saying they better not be too deliberate in their evaluation process.