NFL Black Monday for coaches and GMs

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago's back 7 is significantly better than the Bills.

LB Briggs > LB Barnett

LB Urlacher > LB Shepperd

LB Roach > LM Whoever (And I'd say only slightly here. He's not an elite player by any means)

CB Jennings > CB Williams/McKelvin

CB Tillman = CB Gilmore

SS Wright = SS Wilson/Searcy

FS Conte < FS Byrd

Do you agree with this? I would say linebacker is the only significant area that they are better. I think Gilmore is actually a better corner than Tillman. Tillman has a ton of turnover this year but I think that is a product of the defense. Gilmore's cover skills can be elite while Tilmman has avearge cover skills. Jennings is better than any other corner we have but Byrd (especially in that defense) is a major upgrade to any of their safeties.

In retrospect I should have said Byrd >Wright, Conte=Wilson/Searcy but i wouldn't say we're far off from them. A couple linebackers and a CB away, not a complete rebuild.

Edited by FutureBillsGM

I realize it's probably a non-issue because Whaley would be in the mix, but does the Rooney Rule apply for GM positions as well?

Good question - since 2009 it supposedly applies to ALL senior football operations positions, but I can't recall the Bills last (or any othe team's recent) GM search involving any minority candidates.

I personally would be on the phone now trying to get an interview with Lovie Smith. He is a decent coach who hasn't had a great offence, but really good defences. Well the offence here already has some pretty good pieces here already (this would be one of the best offensive lines hes had) and has pieces for a good defence too. He also fills the Rooney rule and will probably be one of the hottest former coach candidates out there this offseason (assuming Reid is going to SD). he took a Bears team with Cutler at QB to 10-6, and only missed the playoffs because of tie breakers

I personally would be on the phone now trying to get an interview with Lovie Smith. He is a decent coach who hasn't had a great offence, but really good defences. Well the offence here already has some pretty good pieces here already (this would be one of the best offensive lines hes had) and has pieces for a good defence too. He also fills the Rooney rule and will probably be one of the hottest former coach candidates out there this offseason (assuming Reid is going to SD). he took a Bears team with Cutler at QB to 10-6, and only missed the playoffs because of tie breakers

Made a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman, That's saying something.

LB Briggs > LB Barnett

LB Urlacher > LB Shepperd

LB Roach > LM Whoever (And I'd say only slightly here. He's not an elite player by any means)

CB Jennings > CB Williams/McKelvin

CB Tillman = CB Gilmore

SS Wright = SS Wilson/Searcy

FS Conte < FS Byrd

Do you agree with this? I would say linebacker is the only significant area that they are better. I think Gilmore is actually a better corner than Tillman. Tillman has a ton of turnover this year but I think that is a product of the defense. Gilmore's cover skills can be elite while Tilmman has avearge cover skills. Jennings is better than any other corner we have but Byrd (especially in that defense) is a major upgrade to any of their safeties.

In retrospect I should have said Byrd >Wright, Conte=Wilson/Searcy but i wouldn't say we're far off from them. A couple linebackers and a CB away, not a complete rebuild.

except tillman is better than gilmore, hands down, at this point.

except tillman is better than gilmore, hands down, at this point.

No doubt. I wasn't too impressed with the Bills safety play this season either. I can excuse it a bit due to Wannstedt's involvement, but I stick with the original statement. The Bears back 7 is better. Also, while the Bills front 4 is great on paper, it rarely played that way and far too often played like garbage.

Ian Rappaport of NFL Network thinks the Bills job is an intriguing and attractive opportunity given the talent and newly signed lease.

the only draw back now really is nix being on a potentially short leash, and not being the most attractive GM. for a guy that cant just call his own shots though, it could be a VERY attractive job. especially when compared to 3 years ago.

No doubt. I wasn't too impressed with the Bills safety play this season either. I can excuse it a bit due to Wannstedt's involvement, but I stick with the original statement. The Bears back 7 is better. Also, while the Bills front 4 is great on paper, it rarely played that way and far too often played like garbage.

No disagreement from me on any of that.

First thing though, we won't know who's going to be hiring the new HC until Nix's deal is settled. Does he stay or does he go. If he goes, does Whaley stay or do they clean house completely yet again. I hope that's not the case, because we'll have another GM with three year contracts and a five year game plan to turn things around.

I don't know if Nix is really on that short of a leash, and if he is, the most likely candidate to take over is Whaley, whos already on the staff and would probably be in on the decision to sign the new coach

I can almost see Nix "retiring" before training camp this year, or staying on til the draft then stepping down to give the job over to Whaley after the draft. He gets the QB he said he would and decides to step down from teh GM position leaving the Bills in what he feels a better position

No disagreement from me on any of that.

First thing though, we won't know who's going to be hiring the new HC until Nix's deal is settled. Does he stay or does he go. If he goes, does Whaley stay or do they clean house completely yet again. I hope that's not the case, because we'll have another GM with three year contracts and a five year game plan to turn things around.

Funny thing about the "Five year plan"

Last night, during the Skins/Cowboys game, they mentioned that Shanahan had gone into the owners office when he first got the job and told him that it was gonna take about 5 years to re-build, lucky for him things fell into place much sooner