Obama issues Executive Order Pay Raise

/dev/null

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-orders-raise-biden-members-congress-federal-workers_692223.html

Giving a raise to Uncle Joe, Boner, Pelosi, Reid, McConnell, and all the Senators and Congress Critters and Federal judges because they deserve it in this booming economy

Kind of curious from a Constitutional standpoint how this jives with the 27th Amendment. Not that Obama's Imperial Edicts have really taken the Constitution into account

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop in the bucket when you think about the amount of money that is being spent on the raises. But I'm pissed that I've had to forgo a raise twice in the past 5 years due to the economy and I was taking on more and more responsibility. Yet these guys act like little kids most of the time. Haven't come up with a fix for the fiscal cliff. And they get a raise.

Thanks you Mr. President for rewarding childish behavior from our nations leaders.

Drop in the bucket when you think about the amount of money that is being spent on the raises. But I'm pissed that I've had to forgo a raise twice in the past 5 years due to the economy and I was taking on more and more responsibility. Yet these guys act like little kids most of the time. Haven't come up with a fix for the fiscal cliff. And they get a raise.

Thanks you Mr. President for rewarding childish behavior from our nations leaders.

Nothing is going to change until everyone, and I mean everyone, looks at something like this and stops referring to it as a "drop in the bucket."

From an email I got today (I haven't verified the figures but it doesn't change reality even if they're off a bit)

I've gotten this as an email two times now. I have shown it to several people. They all react the same, "OMG. We need to do something."

I tried to verify on Snopes and FactorFiction.com, but I couldn't find it on either. So I just checked the figures stated myself by Googling. The stated figures are all very close to the amounts I found.

It's very interesting so I thought I would pass it along so everyone will be able to realize what we are facing.

Why S&P Downgraded the US:

U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000

Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000

New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000

National debt: $14,271,000,000,000

Recent [April] budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:

Annual family income: $21,700

Money the family spent: $38,200

New debt on the credit card: $16,500

Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

Budget cuts: $385

From an email I got today (I haven't verified the figures but it doesn't change reality even if they're off a bit)

I've gotten this as an email two times now. I have shown it to several people. They all react the same, "OMG. We need to do something."

I tried to verify on Snopes and FactorFiction.com, but I couldn't find it on either. So I just checked the figures stated myself by Googling. The stated figures are all very close to the amounts I found.

It's very interesting so I thought I would pass it along so everyone will be able to realize what we are facing.

Why S&P Downgraded the US:

U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000

Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000

New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000

National debt: $14,271,000,000,000

Recent [April] budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Perfect, absolutely perfect. I look at family budgets all the time in my work. If I saw that budget I would look at them, shake my head and tell them they are totally !@#$ed and to get the hell out of my office!

Nothing is going to change until everyone, and I mean everyone, looks at something like this and stops referring to it as a "drop in the bucket."

But when you really think about it, that's what it is. If these guys had come back to Washington, rolled up their sleeves, went in and locked the door until they came out with a compromise that both sides hated I wouldn't give three ***** about them getting a raise.

But for Obama to give them the raise after they go home for the Holidays and leave us hanging?

As I duck:

He also made an EO to make Christmas EVE a holiday too for this year only. Usually, just Christmas is. That said, a federal employee usually gets Christmas off (and joke all you want about the rest of the year)... BUT if one is on an essential mission, one gets paid 16 hours for working 8 on any holiday... Even if they are off and still have to work 5 days a week (instead of 4 w/holiday off).

So since this year I have to work Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year's Day. One works 24 and gets paid for 48. That is cool! They never hand out bonuses (for any reason to anybody), so I guess this holiday "double bubble" is a plus.

But that is okay... There has been a pay freeze on for 3 years and no COLA's were given out during that span. No COLA is a big issue with the employee share of health premiums they pay. Health premiums have been steadily rising for 10+ years now.

Speaking of health... That was beccoming a bind... In the last 10+ years, with the same insuance company (Humana)... My premium/share went from just around 100 dollars ever two weeks to 350 dollars every TWO WEEKS. Just last year alone, the gov't and myself have paid to Humana over 18k. The good news? Humana dumped my primary care provider and I was able to downgrade (to keep my primary care provider the same) during this past open season! So that is a plus!!

you cant really compare a standard family budget to that of the gubmint. unless a long lost rich uncle dies a family doesnt have the capability for a massive future income flux. virtually all budget problems are fixed by a booming economy. granted, this economy hasnt been booming for a long time and might not boom again for a while, but it can at least happen at some point. they certainly need to do something about the deficit but its not quite as simplistic as that little example would have us beleed

Twice in the last five years? Feds haven't seen a COLA in 3-4 years, each year... And that is usually a slight COLA... Mabe 1-2%.

And anyway... Once an employee, GS or WG (I am wage grade) schedule, "steps out"... They are done. COLA's become the only "raise."

WOW... Just wow!

I am gonna pull a Ron Paul... They should just tear it down to build it up, take their medicine!

Mass default. Flood the court systems.

The problem with the government ever getting back on stable footing is the amount of money they have been printing, and what that will do to inflation and interest rates down the line. Think what 10% interest rates on 16.5 trillion dollars will do. Not a pretty picture, eh?

And the obvious solutions are to spend MORE using the credit card and raise the credit card credit limit. :rolleyes:

I know the solution is to live within people's means... BUT can the economy handle that austerity. ??? Everywhere you turn, one sees: Feed the pig vs. Shop till you drop.

NOW... That many people are in this hole. What is the best course?

Severe austerity

Mass default

??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I know the solution is to live within people's means... BUT can the economy handle that austerity. ??? Everywhere you turn, one sees: Feed the pig vs. Shop till you drop.

NOW... That many people are in this hole. What is the best course?

Severe austerity

Mass default

??

You're only putting-off the inevitable.

Which inevitable road do we as "country" and as an "idividual" (the people in trouble) go down? Those are two distinct roads I listed. No?

How do you please the most and tick off the fewest?

Austerity will have to be implemented eventually. You can't pay-down a $16T debt when you continue to add to it.

you cant really compare a standard family budget to that of the gubmint. unless a long lost rich uncle dies a family doesnt have the capability for a massive future income flux. virtually all budget problems are fixed by a booming economy. granted, this economy hasnt been booming for a long time and might not boom again for a while, but it can at least happen at some point. they certainly need to do something about the deficit but its not quite as simplistic as that little example would have us beleed

Government is government, not family, and not business although more like a business than a family. Next time your CEO goes to the board and announces he paid off debt but lost money lets see how persuasive that is.

In any event we've been in debt basically every year for our 200 year existence, and still had good times and bad regardless...not many families I know are like that. Nor can they print their own money and then tax and demand the tax be paid in that currency. And of course if a family went the bank for a loan and showed that budget the bank would laugh at them...when the US and Japan (two of the countries with the worst debt) issue bonds they're among the most popular in the world...people almost pay us to hold their money.

We can't just say "!@#$ it" but we certainly should not say the government is a household and it's time to do whatever it takes to pay everything off. We can implement austerity that would stall growth... the best solution to our problems...and see how that works...if we want to be the CEO losing money. But that's probably not the best route. Hence, some new revenue (we're at a huge low), some plan to get things in order and provide some stability in the coming decade (real cuts of course), and IMO some smart stimulus now to get help us get moving. A little shot of caffeine to get us off the coach and some confidence in our ability to govern and whala...nobody is coming for to foreclose on the Capital Building.

It's really not the huge disaster some like to make it out to be, just a problem in need of a plan that is well within our reach.

Edited by SameOldBills

The government has printed trillions of dollars. At some point in time (most likely when the economy starts creating real job growth) inflation will hit us and interest rates will skyrocket. 10% x 16.5 trillion is interest of 1.65 trillion annually. Where is that money going to come from? Borrowing? More taxes?