Don Banks - great quote about Nix and why he should go

dave mcbride

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a5

Buffalo -- The Bills are expected to end the three-year Chan Gailey coaching era following this season's major disappointment, but the mystery in Buffalo is whether general manager Buddy Nix is also on his way out. Team CEO Russ Brandon is thought to be in favor of a full house-cleaning, but no one I talked to within the league had a great handle on whether Bills owner Ralph Wilson agrees.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas dropped a cryptic hint of changes to come within the organization via Twitter the other day, but no one seems quite sure what form a potential GM move would take. One option would be elevating assistant GM/director of player personnel Doug Whaley to the top job and commencing a coaching search after that change was made.

Get ur done, Buddy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, sometimes when you have talent it doesn't work out...look at the Lions this year. They're a bigger disappointment than the Bills are.

My opinion is that when you own the title of having the longest NFL playoff drought, YOU'RE the biggest disappointment... The Bills never suck enough to land a number 1 overall pick yet we haven't made the playoffs longer than any other team which means we don't draft well, trade well, play well, sign free agents well, coach well, etc... WE'RE the biggest disappointment...

Dave Caldwell SHOULD be the guy.

He was at INDY with Polian. He was there and watched how Polian built the Colts from a loser into a perennial winner.

Then when Dimitrof got hired in ATL one of his first moves was to bring Caldwell onto his staff.

Dave Caldwell has watched and been a part of changing the culture of two franchise. Helping build them from losers into winners!!

I know Dave and have spoken with him about the Bills job back when Nix got it. At that point timing was not right for him. Dave needed more time. Dimitrof has been helping him learn and i think now is the time to give a good young guy his shot!! He is also a Buffalo boy and would love nothing more then to bring a winner back to the Bills!!! Trust me this is exactly the kind of guy we should be hoping to land.

He was at INDY with Polian. He was there and watched how Polian built the Colts from a loser into a perennial winner.

Then when Dimitrof got hired in ATL one of his first moves was to bring Caldwell onto his staff.

Dave Caldwell has watched and been a part of changing the culture of two franchise. Helping build them from losers into winners!!

I know Dave and have spoken with him about the Bills job back when Nix got it. At that point timing was not right for him. Dave needed more time. Dimitrof has been helping him learn and i think now is the time to give a good young guy his shot!! He is also a Buffalo boy and would love nothing more then to bring a winner back to the Bills!!! Trust me this is exactly the kind of guy we should be hoping to land.

Thanks - that's an interesting perspective. Atlanta has definitely built a good roster, and they did it methodically. They focused on the QB first and then filled in the pieces, getting a couple of very good FA vets along the way when the opportunity presented itself (Gonzalez, Abraham, Michael Turner). All three have been extremely productive.

Care to share more? Not often we get someone that knows a "candidate" personally

How many teams go out and fire everyone associated with the teams front office (President, CEO, Marketing Guy, Financial Guy/Accountant, etc?)

House cleaning #1 would have been when tehy cleaned house to bring in Donahoe

#2 - Firing Donahoe to bring in Levy and staff

#3 - When Nix and Gailey were brought in

Those are the 3 if you want to get technical because it involved new GM and headcoaches, a typical Sports team "Full House cleaning". If you go by some, a typical housecleaning is when they fire the HC and his entire staff and replace with a new staff.

The difference here being we all know the amount of power Littman and Brandon have are more than your typical front office members. But setting that aside, I find it hard to call a full house cleaning bringing in a former coach as GM first, then a former scout as GM second. Its not like they were an entirely new set of eyes. They already knew the power structure of the organization and how badly it was run.

Why do we keep ending up with a coach that the players love? Every single coach we had, the players loved, but we couldn't win big games with. Why not hire a brilliant !@#$ instead? I don't want the players to like the guy, I want them to play for him and be wary of keeping their job. Enough of the "family environment" as long as they play honest, no cheating or dirty plays.

What scares me the most is that every other team on that list has potential or identified coaching candidates to fill the vacancies...except for Buffalo.

Don't want Whaley either. You and I know nothing about him except that he carries the stink of losing on him. That's enough to bring in fresh minds at GM, Coach and QB.

Total CLEAN house. No stink left.

Whaley was hired from Pittsburgh a few years ago. He' s not the typical OBD insider, so it's not fair to label him as such.

Nix was a reluctant hire as GM. Never a long term answer. Whaley clearly was brought in to be groomed to replace him. I think Nix will resign rather than fire his friend Chan. I hope Whaley has a list of those he would want to contact about the HC job. Change of culture is needed. Prune out those who have gotten comfortable in a losing environment...both on the field and in the front office. Get the fan bas excited by bold moves and decisive action.

And Leaf was seen as a top 2 pick, Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith were both seen as #1 overall picks

He still gave up alot to move up and take a chance on someone who has never played a down in the NFL before and had a 50/50 chance of being either the next Vick, or the next Newton

13 years of futility has been through 3-4 house cleanings already, How have those worked out?

So .... don't clean up the crap on the floor 'cuz the next guy might crap again. He had his chance. His faith in Fitzpatrick is enough reason to get rid of him. Very bad decision at the most important position. We need a new coach, a rookie QB with a more QB friendly scheme and we need Nix, Gailey, and most of all Fitzpatrick, rode out on a rail Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY