Realistically, how many years of rebuilding do we have left?

Buffalos#1Fan

So, we haven't even been close to making the playoffs for several years now. Close meaning, there are a few games left in the season that control whether we make the playoffs. We have had 4-6 wins for the 4th straight season.

I think it's going to take at least 3 more years until we see the playoffs, what do you guys think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we haven't even been close to making the playoffs for several years now. Close meaning, there are a few games left in the season that control whether we make the playoffs. We have had 4-6 wins for the 4th straight season.

I think it's going to take at least 3 more years until we see the playoffs, what do you guys think?

3 years sounds reasonable. There is not as much talent on this team as some claim. The coaching is a mess, and no viable QB. The drafting on defense has been horrible. The receiving corps can't even be called mediocre. They used to have a decent punter though. yea, 3 years and maybe with luck they could even win a playoff game. Edited by Best Player Available

We could push it to seven more years. That will tie us for the record of consecitve years missing the playoffs. The Bills won't make the playoffs until they get a real QB. I hope we draft one this year, but the crop of college QB's is underwhelming.

We are in year 8 (soon to be 9) of our 3 year rebuilding plan.

Fill in some holes with decent drafting. Get a good QB and a couple of good WRs and a coach that can play to our strengths and get a new DC and we're at least playing meaningful games after Pearl Harbor Day next year.

The fans who buy season tickets gotta make a stand or this owner will keep hiring crap coaches and GM's.

Wilson knows who to hire, he just refuses to hire the best unless he is forced to spend more money then he wants to spend.

The problem appears to be that so many fans just attend games to party with their friends and don't care if the team wins or not.

A grateful owner laughs all the way to the bank...smiling, while thinking to himself, drunken idiots :beer:

Edited by FeartheLosing

two processes always going on

1. getting more talented through the draft, free agency, and the development of young players

2. getting less talented through age, injury, bad personal decisions, and free agency

you're only rebuilding if the former is moving in a faster pace then the later- Jackson, Wilson, Barnett to name a few all have declined and could go into an even steeper decline next year- so while I'd like to think to think of us rebuilding next year it's just as likely that we will lose overall talent next year.

They've gotta luck into a coach and a quarterback. Until then, they'll keep wandering down a dead-end road.

Ironic that you mention luck because that's what RW referenced in a press conference he gave to introduce Nix 3 year ago. Now, I realize that yes, luck is involved, but it's nothing you fall back on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/highlights-from-nixs-press-conference/

Finally, Bills owner Ralph Wilson seemed to appeal for a change in mojo in Buffalo:

“Number one, we’ve got be lucky,” Wilson said. “That’s my philosophy. That’s with anything you’re doing.”

2017 Will be the year the Bills make the playoffs.

Losing players such as Whitner and having to keep filling those voids is what ends up hurting this team the most. Players like Winfield, Bannon, Leonhard, Lynch, McGahee, Poz, Pat Williams......Having to redraft to keep filling the positions destroys a team. Every time the Bills do not step up to pay a player above OR draft one with talent but "questionable" character only to find out "he does not fit on the Bills" sets us back. The Bills are then forced to redraft the position and hope the player they are drafting is going to pan out. Not to mention that it wastes a pick that could have been used to fill another position.

Watch, it is about to happen all over again with Byrd and Levitre....mark my words, the Bills have already resigned the lineman they plan on keeping in Urbik.

If the current regime stays in place, that depends on how soon we get our franchise QB and inseret him into the starting lineup.

I'm probably the minority voice here but with the right coach and a new QB, some key draft picks and a couple smart free agent pickups I think this team can compete for a playoff spot next year. Probably a total of 5 new starters needed. Picking up either Manti Te'o or Jarvis Jones to shore up the LB's in the first round and taking a QB with the second pick (most 'top' QB's should still be on the board) would be a good start. A free agent WR to complement Johnson along with a veteran QB and a veteran LB are on my wish list.

Looking at this year's team a competent coaching staff should have been able to wring out another 4 wins with this group and the favorable schedule. That would have put them at 9-6 with a shot at one of the 2 wildcard spots (assuming one of those extra wins was against the Colts which is a game they should have won).

If everything goes right for us for just once it could be 1 year or 2 at most..