Gailey staying?

thewildrabbit

I have said it many times before here the last few weeks, Chan is done. I don't see him being fired, but he will most likely step down and retire. Just listening to him he is broken and beaten, and sounds like someone who will retire and move on.

I have said this many times myself. Coach Gailey looks like a beat, whipped, worn out old man. I just hope he does quit. I put the odds at 40/60 that he wil though.

give 'Stache the HC position and he hires replacement co-ordinators for O and D.

Please no. While Gailey looks beat and worn out, Wannstedt looks like he doesn't care. Wannstedt only took the job to "help out a friend." Friend's gone and so is he I suspect.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to John Clayton of ESPN, he thinks its a better then 50% chance the Bills keep Gailey as HC.

"In the AFC East, disappointing seasons by Rex Ryan with the New York Jets and Chan Gailey of the Buffalo Bills could cost them their jobs, but there is better than 50 percent chance they will stay."

http://espn.go.com/n...oaching-changes

Lets not forget that Buddy Nix stated Chan is his HC for 2013 and perhaps longer, so if Nix stays, then so does Chan.

All these posts speculating who the new HC or GM might be could be moot unless Ralph Wilson makes a decision after the NY Jets game. The fans that want change need to make a statement and stay away from this game or wear paper bags :bag: Let Ralph Wilson know you are NOT happy and will not be buying season tickets unless changes are made.

If Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix signed 5 year contracts it could be difficult for this owner to make a change after this season! 2 more years of this .... :doh:

PS TT tweet about "its on like a mofo" might be about something other then a HC / GM change.

you'll all be back come July. Bills fans are Bills fans. Season tickets may fall a little, but the season ticket base isn't a huge % of the stadium in the first place. In real NFL franchises , the whole f ing stadium is season tickets no matter what the product is.

Im sorry, I have been a Bills fan since a kid, yikes, I remember like it was yesterday. I'm close to death now at 55. I have always blindly stuck with the Bills , it defined who I was. If chan gailey has a 2% chance of staying with this team them my seats on the 40 yd line are gone. Its a sad day when you get to the end of the line and see there isn't any light there, just more darkness. Please God help this team, let a real coach come to Buffalo.

Agreed, we do need a real coach. But hey, don't speak so negatively. A 25 year old could be closer to the end than you. None of us know what the future holds.

YE OLE has always felt like The Chanimal was a better coach than Jauron. He seems like he is... it just feels like he has a better handle on things. But, at the end of the day, for as much criticism as Jauron was dealt (rightfully so), he went 7-9 every year with less talent.

I was actually one of the few who was immediately pleased with the Gailey hiring. I really thought he would do well. But you are right. DJ at least went 7-9 with comparable talent - maybe less talent. I don't see any progress in 3 years of Nix/Gailey. I'm not sure if Gailey and his coaches are poor at dissecting film, poor at running practices, poor at building teamwork, poor at inspiring peak performance, or poor at something else. But this team is underperforming unacceptably. I find the talk from Gailey and Fitz about progress is ludicrous. Football is about winning and we're winning fewer games now than we did in the DJ era.

I get what Nix says about the insanity of changing coaches every three years. If there had been some progress made, I'd be willing to be patient with Gailey. But we may actually be regressing. If I were Nix, I'd fire Gailey. If I were Brandon, I'd be very tempted to fire Nix too.

I was actually one of the few who was immediately pleased with the Gailey hiring. I really thought he would do well. But you are right. DJ at least went 7-9 with comparable talent - maybe less talent. I don't see any progress in 3 years of Nix/Gailey. I'm not sure if Gailey and his coaches are poor at dissecting film, poor at running practices, poor at building teamwork, poor at inspiring peak performance, or poor at something else. But this team is underperforming unacceptably. I find the talk from Gailey and Fitz about progress is ludicrous. Football is about winning and we're winning fewer games now than we did in the DJ era.

I get what Nix says about the insanity of changing coaches every three years. If there had been some progress made, I'd be willing to be patient with Gailey. But we may actually be regressing. If I were Nix, I'd fire Gailey. If I were Brandon, I'd be very tempted to fire Nix too.

Its only insanity if you keep making the wrong choices...

Ralph Wilson stated he wanted a head coach with NFL experience, and Buddy Nix was given that option to find one. The thing is, the Bills stealth interviewed both Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan before Nix was hired. Now I understand why Shanahan turned down the Bills job because he had a prior commitment with the Redskins, but was willing to listen to other offers. Nobody ever said what happened with Bill Cowher tho

I can only suspect that Cowher was dealing with family issues at that point in time, his girls were still in college. His wife passed in July 2010 and all his girls are now out of college.

I suspect that if Ralph Wilson offered Cowher the HCing job and complete autonomy over the football side of operations along with making him the highest paid HC in the NFL. It would then be enough to being the "chin" out of retirement.

Shanahan and Belichick both make around 7mill per, Jeff Fisher makes 5.75. Andy Reid makes 5.5. Pete Carroll 33 mill over 5 years and complete control over the football operations. Cowher should make 8 mill per.

If Super Mario is just a DE and got 100 mill, then the next Bills HC should be the highest paid HC, and an ex SB winner. Cowher-Gruden-Billick

Stop screwing around Ralph, hire the best and win a SB. Your fans have been faithful for so long, they deserve a SB championship.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/04/patriots-redskins-seahawks-business-sports-nfl-highest-paid-coaches.html

my gut tells me the team hires a real OC in the offseason, Gailey is kept on, but on a very short leash...if he isn't 4-2 or better to start the year, he's gone...i know everyone is mocking the continuity angle, but i think having an OC that is being groomed to take over is the way the team will go....either way, Gailey is gone in '14. Just my thoughts..

Chan is even worse as head coach then he is as OC so what would be the point of that?

And please don't give me the he would be better just concentrating on being the head coach line

You don't go into a season with the thought of firing the head coach after 6 games

Edited by Max997

Maybe...But Schwartz has 3 years remaining on his deal...And I'm sure McKenzie and Allen have at least a couple...They were only hired a year ago...Not sure either Team wants to eat that kind of cash... B-)

I think OAK might keep the GM and can the coach because it's Mark Davis and well it's Mark Davis. I say DET with Schwartz because he's taken heavy critiscism for the undisciplined, inconsistent play of the team on numerious occassions and its considerable regression this year.

I agree both would be unlikely.

According to Sports Illustrated, the Bills are expected to fire coach Chan Gailey.

However, GM Buddy Nix's fate is apparently uncertain. Working in concert, Gailey and Nix have guided the Bills to a 15-31 record since taking over in 2010, and have had trouble finding viable assistant coaches. Nix has made it known he intends to find quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's successor this offseason, so whether or not owner Ralph Wilson trusts him to find one could play into his future. From his misuse of C.J. Spiller to blind faith in Fitzpatrick, Gailey will have worked hard to earn his walking papers if he's indeed fired. Source: Sports Illustrated Dec 27 - 5:46 PM

Joe F is renewing his season tickets based on the stadium lease renewal (see above...somewhere....). That rationale arabesque simply escapes me. Joe, do you just want to sit in the stadium and know you may be able to return for the next several years? You do know the Shuffalo Bills may be playing there, don't you? And you're paying $ for that....?

Wanna know whats maddening? A single voice in the wilderness screaming about whats wrong, why isn't anyone else taking notice of all the mistakes and stupid moves. Constantly reading excuse after excuse for the reasons from fans as to why when they make no sense and are just excuses. This was after the first off season, pre season, 0-8 of 2010.

Now I know why this owner didn't make a move back then. His total commitment to the GM he had hired, thinking he would have a team like the 2005 SD Chargers very soon. Plus the fact that he signed both the GM and HC to a 5 year deal.

The mistakes and miscues over the last 3 years have almost been unbelievable. Bad draft choices, wrong personnel moves, cutting the wrong players. bad schemes, wrong assistants hired. Why does it take 3 years and 112 million dollars to find a pass rusher or two. No QB's drafted before the 7th round. 3 years to find a fill in LT. Letting talented players leave via trade and getting almost nothing for them. Both Lynch and Whitner in the pro bowl. Geez, ya think the Bills could have used Poz at all since they let him walk. Two #1s, and a #2 wasted and gone.

This 3 year regime has been a joke / disaster from top to bottom. Marv Levy was never a GM and he did better. But! who will they get to replace the GM & HC...?

Hopefully someone young with an abundance of energy and the ability to study film, and actually understand what they are watching. Someone who can evaluate and grade the players at every position on the roster properly. Someone who knows both defense and offense well enough to hire the right assistants that can do their jobs properly.

My first choice would be to throw the bank at Bill Cowher and give him autonomy of football operations, the man knows talent, he knows assistant coaches, he knows schemes,and most importantly he knows how to win! Bills in the playoffs within 2 years.

Mike Zimmer, Bengals DC ..Dom Capers Packers DC..Bruce Arians OC. Colts..Mike MCcoy OC of the Broncos, you know, the man who got Tim Tebow to win a playoff game against the Steelers.

Bill Cowher (149-90) Jon Gruden(95-81), Tony Dungy(139-69), Brian Billick (80-64)are all out there and have won a SB.

If money is the issue then hire Mike McCoy to get the offense to work properly, Mike Zimmer to get the most out of the defense. Colts OC Bruce Arians ran that team fine for Chuck Pagano. Obviously interview them all hire the best choice. Need someone who knows everything to know about building a top team? Hire GM Thomas Dimitroff away from Atlanta and make him president of football operations.That is if Cowher turns the job down.

None of those men want to interview? BS, I know Brian Billick wanted the Bills HCing job back in 2010, so did Marty S. Because Wilson didn't feel "comfortable" the bills are 15-32 :sick: .325%, 3 years wasted

If Bills fans are forced to endure another 2 years of this mess because there is not enough money to make changes, or this owner doesn't want to make a move just yet. Well then, GL on selling season seats.

P.S. A darn shame this owner didn't have a handful of sons to take over the team like Bill Bidill,or just one like Robert Irsay. P.P.S. Would have posted this in a different thread, but that one was closed due to an exorbitant amount of tears falling

If they keep Chan Gailey, good luck selling out any home games next season. However, Ralph is still paying Dick Jauron. I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph decides that he is not going to pay two coaches not to coach the Buffalo Bills. In spite of the time left on Chan's Contract, I still think he gets fired on Monday because the Bills don't have anything to sell next year.

If they keep Chan Gailey, good luck selling out any home games next season. However, Ralph is still paying Dick Jauron. I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph decides that he is not going to pay two coaches not to coach the Buffalo Bills. In spite of the time left on Chan's Contract, I still think he gets fired on Monday because the Bills don't have anything to sell next year.

Enter Jim Kelly.

Joe F is renewing his season tickets based on the stadium lease renewal (see above...somewhere....). That rationale arabesque simply escapes me. Joe, do you just want to sit in the stadium and know you may be able to return for the next several years? You do know the Shuffalo Bills may be playing there, don't you? And you're paying $ for that....?

It goes beyond the team K. Its loyalty to a region and a city that provided me an upbringing to which I attribute a lot of my professional success in life. Its a place I hold dear and the Bills are a very integral part of that place. I end up giving most of the tickets to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Erie County and use 2 or 3 games a year (some have accused me of being a child abuser for this act :-) ).

The Bills are more than just a product on the field -- sans about 15 years of the 52 -- they have been horrible or also rans -- but they represent Buffalo more than any other person, thing or product. The area will truly take yet another death blow if the Bills were to leave and I don't want to be even a small part of making that happen. Its $1500 bucks a year -- I would piss it away on something far less worthy anyway.

It goes way beyond football. I know its hard to get past the product on the field and believe me I hate that aspect of what is going on just as much as anyone, it goes to loyalty to a region that I feel desparately needs this team.

Edited by JoeF

If Gailey had a good qb and a strong DC he would be successful. I would keep him only if he fires the stache and removed himself from playcalling. He has to either turn it over to Modkins or bring in someone else. He needs to replace Fitz with a new starter and get more involved with the Defence and special teams. If he is not willing to do all of these than he can resign(quit).

If Gailey had a good qb and a strong DC he would be successful. I would keep him only if he fires the stache and removed himself from playcalling. He has to either turn it over to Modkins or bring in someone else. He needs to replace Fitz with a new starter and get more involved with the Defence and special teams. If he is not willing to do all of these than he can resign(quit).

How many HCs get to hire 3 DCs in 4 yrs because the D stinks?

Why? Seen enough of this loser

Why? Seen enough of this loser

If he had all those, he still wouldn't