Christmas dinner - eve or day?

mead107

We do Christmas eve at our house. Turkey this year, stuffing, snowy mashed potatoes, Green bean casserole, and roasted Butternut squash. pie for dessert.

Christmas day we will have dinner at my sister's house.

What do you do?

Tonight will be gathering of friends at neighbors house. Bout 4 families come usually. Very nice party. Only problem, I will see Charlie McFall there, who was Russell Wilson's high school coach. I know he will give me never ending chit on the Bills passing on him. All in good fun, he is a great guy!

Tomorrow dinner at our house, 13 total with 10 family and three friends. We do a tenderloin, some cheesy baked grits, and roasted root veggies. Start with French Onion soup..

Merry Christmas to all!

Christmas Eve at my aunt's house. Typical Polish wegelia (sp?) Everyone attending makes it now since my aunt is 95. Christmas Day at mom's. Beef on weck and shrimp along with lazy perogi, corn-flaked potatoes, shrimp noodle salad, etc. My dad was sick of turkey on both Thanksgiving and Christmas, so a year or two before he died (Day after the Denver game in 1990) he suggested the beef on weck and shrinp. We've had it ever since.

We always get together for a formal dinner on Christmas Eve and then split into our smaller family units on Christmas Day. Usually by the afternoon on Christmas Day I'm at the movie theater. Tonight for the first time ever the family gathering is at my house. Main course is turkey and pork shoulder along with too many side dishes and appetizers to list.

Roast duck is our tradition. My wife being from Hong Kong has never acquired a taste for turkey and even a turkey breast is too big for our family and that cuts out the best parts.

That's awesome. I am actually doing a smoked duck for New Years ..wifey all nervous as first time I have ever tried

Same tradition every year in our house...pork crown roast for Christmas Eve and salt-crusted prime rib for Christmas dinner.

What do you stuff it with.? This is another dish I have always said I would cook, but just never have.The crown roast that is

Edited by plenzmd1

Roast duck is our tradition. My wife being from Hong Kong has never acquired a taste for turkey and even a turkey breast is too big for our family and that cuts out the best parts.

Do you have a good method for this? I love duck, but have never made one at home.

My wifey was always enamored of my sister's (Italian by marriage) tradition of seafood. The last couple of years I've been doing Christmas Eve dinners.

Tonight we had Clam Chowder for lunch, Dinner: stuffed squid, shrimp sauteed with garlic and lemon, on a bed of cappellini pasta, main course - broiled lobster tails.

Now, I'm focused on getting a tooter on that will keep me asleep when Santa comes a-callin'.

Tomorrow, it's wifey's turn at bat. She was already setting up the main course today... Beef Wellington. It takes a day to prep. Kids won't settle for anything less. Can't blame them. It's to die for.

I am rereading this thread again. Maybe one year ill cook me up something good. Just too busy usually because I use the days to work

Left over spaghetti tonight, probably left over spaghetti again tomorrow.

I am rereading this thread again. Maybe one year ill cook me up something good. Just too busy usually because I use the days to work

Jeff, that's just sad man.

I used to hate Christmas when I was in my twenties.

My sisters had kids and were on to growing their own families and I was single and it seemed so pointless.

Then I got married and had kids of my own and Christmas was fun again.

Now the kids are grown and I'm nothing but worried for them.

Maybe you're right - Christmas sux.

Jeff, that's just sad man.

I used to hate Christmas when I was in my twenties.

My sisters had kids and were on to growing their own families and I was single and it seemed so pointless.

Then I got married and had kids of my own and Christmas was fun again.

Now the kids are grown and I'm nothing but worried for them.

Maybe you're right - Christmas sux.

It's not sad. It is just the way it is. My family is odder then most, no one is here in town except my parents and they keep to themselves - to say the least. I have this week off and a lot of work to do. Got up at 7 and started it, got done around 630-7. It is fencing work - it just wears you down - I work 60+ hours a week consistently.

The Holidays we get together in our family are usually Holloween the 4th, and Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is generally our biggest holiday - sister and her growing family (she's w/twins) is in Ohio, parents across the street, brother and his family are in Dallas. I am going back up to see her in the Spring, going to Dallas at least once by July 4th.

Oh, and I googled Beef Wellington (I had forgot what it was). My next harvest date is the 21st, so some time in February I am making myself some of that stuff!

Edited by jboyst62

Do you have a good method for this? I love duck, but have never made one at home.

Did this a whie back, turned out very nice..But time consuming

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ted-allen/crisp-tender-roast-duck-with-cherry-rosemary-sauce-recipe/index.html

BTW, I always order my duck from here

http://www.dartagnan.com/