Hopefully some of you won't be fooled by another 3 year plan

When Buddy came in here and talked about how it's gonna take 3 years to build this team. I couldn't believe the buy in from so many fans on this board. Never mind that so many teams have proven that it can be done in an offseason. That big mouthed dope convinced the Die-hards that, "We are gonna do it through he draft!" and we "aren't gonna sacrifice our future for some instant gratification". Well Buddy, you went from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3, spent a a billion on FAs and now you are ready to trade up for a QB and your third year ain't even up!

So what happened to the "build through the draft" philosophy? The best players on the team besides Spiller were all here!!!

Here's my point, there should be no "set" plan. One philosophy doesn't fit all and great teams do everything well, not just the draft (Which Buddy has shown to be below average at).

The amazing thing about Buddy the failure is that he was so busy "sticking to his guns" that he ignored the two most important things in modern day football; get a QB and bring in a great coach. He hired Chan and doubled down on Fitz. There is no defending this clown anymore. He has failed miserably.

Next.

I can honestly say if Buddy had at least tried...I mean at least one Draft Pick at QB in the 1st 3 Rounds over the past 3 Drafts...I would be a lot easier on him...But in this day and age of NFL Football to think you could get by with Fitz, and to not recognize you better bring in some stiff competition...That to me is inexcusable...It's the QB position dummy!!! :doh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me a long time to realize, even longer than Daniel Snyder, but this season has convinced me. You need to have a top QB and a coaching staff first and foremost. You must sacrifice all else because none of it matters if you don't have a QB. People might have thought the Redskins gave up too much to get RG III, but now it looks like a bargain.

Can't argue that. But I'd qualify that season as "playoffs by attrition in the AFC West." Still, can't take anything away from Fox. With the right combination of factors, chiefly a strong defense, a rapid turnaround is possible.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes. With Tebow at QB Fox rode a great defense to the playoffs. Nix has tried to build that side of the ball up. I think most of us would say Fitz is better than Tebow. Team just hasn't produced and I would put that squarely on coaching.

I can honestly say if Buddy had at least tried...I mean at least one Draft Pick at QB in the 1st 3 Rounds over the past 3 Drafts...I would be a lot easier on him...But in this day and age of NFL Football to think you could get by with Fitz, and to not recognize you better bring in some stiff competition...That to me is inexcusable...It's the QB position dummy!!! :doh:

Who would you have wanted him to draft at QB that was a "definite" in his three drafts? If you say Dalton and Kaepernick you are just using 20/20 hindsight. Yes, they were good in college, but they weren't can't miss guys coming out of school like Newton or Luck or RGIII were considered.

When Buddy came in here and talked about how it's gonna take 3 years to build this team. I couldn't believe the buy in from so many fans on this board. Never mind that so many teams have proven that it can be done in an offseason. That big mouthed dope convinced the Die-hards that, "We are gonna do it through he draft!" and we "aren't gonna sacrifice our future for some instant gratification". Well Buddy, you went from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3, spent a a billion on FAs and now you are ready to trade up for a QB and your third year ain't even up!

So what happened to the "build through the draft" philosophy? The best players on the team besides Spiller were all here!!!

Here's my point, there should be no "set" plan. One philosophy doesn't fit all and great teams do everything well, not just the draft (Which Buddy has shown to be below average at).

The amazing thing about Buddy the failure is that he was so busy "sticking to his guns" that he ignored the two most important things in modern day football; get a QB and bring in a great coach. He hired Chan and doubled down on Fitz. There is no defending this clown anymore. He has failed miserably.

Next.

Then by your observation and holiday wish for us to not "bite on another 3 year plan"...there is no hope yes? Should we expect a 2 year plan? Maybe I have gone in the wrong direction and4 is the mark? Obviously, plans are made and more often than not, fail and do so quite spectacularly. I would consider Buddy's failure to be more of a fizzle - the only mark missed was his investment in Fitzpatrick. Either way, I am sure after the obligatory long off season, your belief in what is happening on One Bills Drive will be reinstilled by the arrival of Mike Vick and a highly touted draft choice. Until then, cue up The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and enjoy the Holidays...

Yes. With Tebow at QB Fox rode a great defense to the playoffs. Nix has tried to build that side of the ball up. I think most of us would say Fitz is better than Tebow. Team just hasn't produced and I would put that squarely on coaching.

There is a difference between trying and actually making progress. This defense is much worse now than when Nix took over. It's one of the worst run defenses ever put on a football field.

Next.

Nix had no experience as a GM. Both fans and the media made it sound as if all of the good decisions that the team made while he was here in other capacities were all related to him, even if only implied. They're doing the same dam thing now w/ Whaley. What qualifies Whaley to be a GM?

Correct answer, nothing.

But there are many fans right here hoping for that. This cycle that the organization is in is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just like they say we get the government we deserve, so too we get the coaching and GM we deserve.

For the media, here's a clue, the next time a coach is hired, instead of talking about what a great fit he is for the organization, how about being overly critical and going back and finding all the flaws in that coach or GM's track record and talking about those openly, and then if those can be overcome with trust, then let's talk about what a great fit it is and all the good things that are expected.

How many times have Jack's three magic beans been sold over and over and over again to Bills fans. Next time the beanstalk's really gonna grow though don't ya know.

The whole thing is a black comedy.

As they say, if you can't laugh at yourself ...

Then by your observation and holiday wish for us to not "bite on another 3 year plan"...there is no hope yes? Should we expect a 2 year plan? Maybe I have gone in the wrong direction and4 is the mark? Obviously, plans are made and more often than not, fail and do so quite spectacularly. I would consider Buddy's failure to be more of a fizzle - the only mark missed was his investment in Fitzpatrick. Either way, I am sure after the obligatory long off season, your belief in what is happening on One Bills Drive will be reinstilled by the arrival of Mike Vick and a highly touted draft choice. Until then, cue up The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and enjoy the Holidays...

Accept proven competence, nothing less.

This just in, but "hoping" or Bill-ieving doesn't accomplish anything, all it does is alter your expectations to include the unlikely and unreasonable.

What coach did you want him to hire?? Reportedly, Harbaugh, Gruden and Cowher were approached. Shanahan was approached. They all said NO. So then what? He hired the best of what was available to help with the issues they had at the time. Offense. Which that side of the ball had been downright anemic for all of Jauron's tenure. Chan wanted Fitz. And the rest of the team needed to be built up in some way because they were in bad shape. He's resigned Williams, Johnson, Chandler and Urbik and Freddy J. He raided other team's practice squads for Urbik and Rhinehart. He signed Williams and Anderson and Barnett. He signed David Nelson and Donald Jones (who is serviceable) as UFA's. Both lines have more talent now than when he arrived. He's not the coach. Obviously the team has not responded to Gailey for quite a while now. He's not a damn fortune teller. Draft picks from every team don't work out. Doesn't mean the reasoning for drafting that player wasn't sound.

You'd be surprised at who may bite when enough money is offered. No one wants to coach the Bills for what they pay. Instead of offering the farm to a player like Mario, or giving Fitz half of that, how about giving Fitz money to a coach and then see what happens.

Maybe all these players you see performing better after they leave the Bills might actually start doing it here in Buffalo. Call me crazy.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Colts 2-14 to playoffs. Bengals back-to-back playoffs. Seahawks 4 straight losing seasons to playoffs. Redskins 3 straight losing seasons to playoffs. Vikings 3-13 to 9-6 and possible playoffs. What have they all done????? DRAFTED A FREAKING QB early in the draft in the last two years!!!! Miami & Cleveland have to be more optimistic now that they have QB's. Buddy's philosophy and drafting have been an abject failure. Refusal to draft a QB and to give Shitz a contract extension are more than enough and should get him fired.

Edited by kasper13

The only mark? How about 7 wins?

Colts 2-14 to playoffs. Bengals back-to-back playoffs. Seahawks 4 straight losing seasons to playoffs. Redskins 3 straight losing seasons to playoffs. Vikings 3-13 to 9-6 and possible playoffs. What have they all done????? DRAFTED A FREAKING QB early in the draft in the last two years!!!! Miami & Cleveland have to be more optimistic now that they have QB's. Buddy's philosophy and drafting have been an abject failure. Refusal to draft a QB and to give Shitz a contract extension are more than enough and should get him fired.

Now they're probably going to reach for a QB in a QB bereft draft. Everything that they've done for over a decade is completely out of phase.

LOL

Edited by TaskersGhost

Is there a particular reason you've decided to throw my name around?

Did I suggest somewhere that having a QB isn't important? :huh:

Why do you get so angry so quick? I was hoping you read this because it's what I wanted to say in the other thread. The poster just said it perfectly. Did I say you said QB wasn't important?

Gosh man, "throwing your name around"?

There is a difference between trying and actually making progress. This defense is much worse now than when Nix took over. It's one of the worst run defenses ever put on a football field.

It was really bad against the run in Fewell's tenure as well. It may be worse, but MUCH worse is nearly impossible to achieve.

GO BILLS!!!

Unless Nix/Gailey end up staying we're in for another 3 year plan. The team simply doesn't seem to be able to seriously attract and sign 'top' candidates for the GM and HQ positions. And we have to settle on 2nd tier choices that put the team at a competitive disadvantage before they even take the field of play. There are several reasons for this and none of them have to do with the city of Buffalo or the state of the local economy or 'cheap' ticket prices or the stadium facility. The problem is the negative league-wide perception of ownership and the organization. There are many paths to success but until this perception changes we can debate and cite examples of other franchises until the end of time. The Mario signing gave us a brief time in the limelight but the poor showing of the team this season killed that good feeling. This situation will continue until either, or both, ownership or the organizational culture in place changes.

At some point in the off season press conference Mr. Wilson will announce changes and conclude correctly that the team simply doesn't have the talent in place to complete with the top teams. Something we've heard far too many times. Unfortunately he appears to be failing to look at the place where the talent is most deficient, in the front office organization and the coaching staff. Maybe doing something different at the top would start to change all that but I doubt that is what we're going to get this time around. The Bills version of Ground Hog Day continues..

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

The only mark? How about 7 wins?

And how many losses can we attribute to poor Quarterbacking and a void of field leadership? We have all seen this past year alone what a good QB and strong field general can do - miserable teams of 2011 are in the playoffs in 2012. We can piss on eachothers opinions, however, there is enough talent here to win now. The same could not be said 3 years ago.

Yes it is. But he is not coaching them. That's my point. The pedigree of the players on the defense is much better than the 2009 version top to bottom.

The coach has to get results out of them.

What coach did you want him to hire?? Reportedly, Harbaugh, Gruden and Cowher were approached. Shanahan was approached. They all said NO. So then what? He hired the best of what was available to help with the issues they had at the time. Offense. Which that side of the ball had been downright anemic for all of Jauron's tenure. Chan wanted Fitz. And the rest of the team needed to be built up in some way because they were in bad shape. He's resigned Williams, Johnson, Chandler and Urbik and Freddy J. He raided other team's practice squads for Urbik and Rhinehart. He signed Williams and Anderson and Barnett. He signed David Nelson and Donald Jones (who is serviceable) as UFA's. Both lines have more talent now than when he arrived. He's not the coach. Obviously the team has not responded to Gailey for quite a while now. He's not a damn fortune teller. Draft picks from every team don't work out. Doesn't mean the reasoning for drafting that player wasn't sound.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9525/billick-baffled-by-bills-lack-of-interest

Brian Billick wanted the job. Buddy wouldn't even interview him. I guarantee that Billick would have put Chan's record to shame and we would probably be playoff bound this season.

"I just wanted to make sure I was clear that [bills general manager Buddy Nix] had not called," Billick told reporter Aaron Saykin of Buffalo NBC affiliate WGRZ. "Why he had not called a coach with a Super Bowl ring, 10 wins a year for nine years, having orchestrated the highest-scoring offense and defense in the history of the league, is a question worth asking. But I never spoke with Mr. Nix."

You are entitled to your opinion. Wanny's D sucks in my opinion. Terrible against the run, dropping coverages, scored on in huge bunches, and not giving effort.

I don't remember where i read it, but there was an article on how under Gailey, the Bills have had 3 of the 5 worst defensive seasons in team history.

Bulls#it. Josh McDaniel tore the Broncos to pieces and in one season John Fox put them in the playoffs despiteTebow as his starter.

first that wasnt an overhaul they were 8-8 the year before and prior to that with Shannahan they were a playoff team.

total overhaul is not like the Colts this year- they were 11-5 in 2010 - not suprising they have a good team again.

Yes it is. But he is not coaching them. That's my point. The pedigree of the players on the defense is much better than the 2009 version top to bottom.

The coach has to get results out of them.

On paper, there is pedigree, I agree. But the results and eye test say this defense is horrific. Fewell may had plenty of bending, but this D is a total cluster.

http://espn.go.com/b...ack-of-interest

Brian Billick wanted the job. Buddy wouldn't even interview him. I guarantee that Billick would have put Chan's record to shame and we would probably be playoff bound this season.

"I just wanted to make sure I was clear that [bills general manager Buddy Nix] had not called," Billick told reporter Aaron Saykin of Buffalo NBC affiliate WGRZ. "Why he had not called a coach with a Super Bowl ring, 10 wins a year for nine years, having orchestrated the highest-scoring offense and defense in the history of the league, is a question worth asking. But I never spoke with Mr. Nix."

yes teams are running to Brian Billick to be there coach all over the league his last year coaching was 2007, so out of football in 2008-2009-2010-2011-2012 hmm wonder why