Hopefully some of you won't be fooled by another 3 year plan

yes teams are running to Brian Billick to be there coach all over the league his last year coaching was 2007, so out of football in 2008-2009-2010-2011-2012 hmm wonder why

I can't speak for why he hasn't returned to coaching. He currently has work with the NFL Network and Fox.

Do you honestly believe that he would not have been able to outperform Gailey's 3 year record. I say he obviously would have. I would take Brian Billick as our next coach right now. He's a competent professional and he's still very much in tune with the league through his Network assignments.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say if Buddy had at least tried...I mean at least one Draft Pick at QB in the 1st 3 Rounds over the past 3 Drafts...I would be a lot easier on him...But in this day and age of NFL Football to think you could get by with Fitz, and to not recognize you better bring in some stiff competition...That to me is inexcusable...It's the QB position dummy!!! :doh:

I totally agree. It seems that they thought that if you threw mid range to top money at Fitz he would become a top quarterback. Well, heck, if that works give the defense more money. When after 3 years of drafting, all they took a shot on was a 7th rounder from the NFL quarterback factory of Troy, you are correct, absolutely no excuses.

Then by your observation and holiday wish for us to not "bite on another 3 year plan"...there is no hope yes? Should we expect a 2 year plan? Maybe I have gone in the wrong direction and4 is the mark? Obviously, plans are made and more often than not, fail and do so quite spectacularly. I would consider Buddy's failure to be more of a fizzle - the only mark missed was his investment in Fitzpatrick. Either way, I am sure after the obligatory long off season, your belief in what is happening on One Bills Drive will be reinstilled by the arrival of Mike Vick and a highly touted draft choice. Until then, cue up The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and enjoy the Holidays...

The point is so many were completely convinced and excused terrible football because of Buddy' ridiculous plan. How bout a one year plan? No novel of an idea for ya? It seemed to work for 3 or 4 other teams this year.

To your second point, you cannot be serious. He brought in Chan right, his drafts have been bad, he passed on 4 or 5 QBs that will be in the playoffs this year right. And you say the only thing he;s done wrong is give FItz an extension? 15-32 sounds more like a men's airport bathroom than a fizzle.

INo improvement in year 3 of Nix's master plan. He said it himself, "show me the baby". Let me translate this hick's BS into english, "let me see the results!" 15-32

So spare me with "all of talent that he's brought in." Where are the impact players not named Spiller? You'd think in 3 years he would have picked or drafted more than one. Urbick, Chandler, Pears are nothing more than average and I some people act like he's bringing in All Pros. This is fans suffering from such a lack of talent for so long that a decent player is crowned a good player. It's sad. You want to see impact? Watch Seattle and watch KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. Those are guys that impact football games who weren't taken in the first round round and all are in their first or second years. Buddy brings Sheppard, Searcy, Williams, Bradham and Graham to fill spots and that's about all. No impact Buddy, your baby is a troll.

Quit giving Buddy a pass it's embarrassing.

I totally agree. It seems that they thought that if you threw mid range to top money at Fitz he would become a top quarterback. Well, heck, if that works give the defense more money. When after 3 years of drafting, all they took a shot on was a 7th rounder from the NFL quarterback factory of Troy, you are correct, absolutely no excuses.

Not to mention the Tavaris Jackson debacle. They trade a 7th round pick for a guy who was going to be released, pay him $3mil. and don't even allow him to dress. Brilliant!

Nix had no experience as a GM. Both fans and the media made it sound as if all of the good decisions that the team made while he was here in other capacities were all related to him, even if only implied. They're doing the same dam thing now w/ Whaley. What qualifies Whaley to be a GM?

Correct answer, nothing.

But there are many fans right here hoping for that. This cycle that the organization is in is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just like they say we get the government we deserve, so too we get the coaching and GM we deserve.

For the media, here's a clue, the next time a coach is hired, instead of talking about what a great fit he is for the organization, how about being overly critical and going back and finding all the flaws in that coach or GM's track record and talking about those openly, and then if those can be overcome with trust, then let's talk about what a great fit it is and all the good things that are expected.

How many times have Jack's three magic beans been sold over and over and over again to Bills fans. Next time the beanstalk's really gonna grow though don't ya know.

The whole thing is a black comedy.

As they say, if you can't laugh at yourself ...

Accept proven competence, nothing less.

This just in, but "hoping" or Bill-ieving doesn't accomplish anything, all it does is alter your expectations to include the unlikely and unreasonable.

You'd be surprised at who may bite when enough money is offered. No one wants to coach the Bills for what they pay. Instead of offering the farm to a player like Mario, or giving Fitz half of that, how about giving Fitz money to a coach and then see what happens.

Maybe all these players you see performing better after they leave the Bills might actually start doing it here in Buffalo. Call me crazy.

It was rumored that Cowher was offered 10 million a year. He still said NO.

It seems a lot of people just put "football man" with any post about Buddy and that would make them immune from criticism of him. His Spiller draft is just that, Spiller and some backups. He drafted into strength at RB just like we always have. He spent high picks on corners and runningbacks, just like we always have. He slept through the first years of free agency. He traded a pro-bowl runningback for a backup OT. His defenders will say "oh Lynch wasn't happy here, might be suspended, etc." Well one team wasn't afraid about Lynch and a suspension, gave him an extension and will be in the playoffs and Lynch has rewarded them with 1000 yard/10TD plus seasons. Probably got the least impact guy at the top of the Dareus draft.

Some more of his lowlights:

Has not improved this team 1 game....one single game, in 3 years.

Hired Chan Gailey

Drafted for 3-4 then went back to a 4-3

Extended Chris Kelsay

Hasnt improved the QB position

Has tried to improve the WR corps with street FAs and few mid round picks

Passed on local products Gronk and Mike Williams. This from a guy who said it isnt easy bringing people to Buffalo. You know who may want to play here Buddy, guys from the Buffalo area.

Has card into the podium before any offers are discussed or offered.

And on and on....

If kool-aid drinkers could consistently defend disasters like Modrak(it was never his fault), they have no trouble defending Buddy despite overwhelming evidence of his failure.

Edited by billsfan714

Do they save money by keeping him inactive? What's the point of an insurance plan that would never be used?

What was the point period of giving up a draft pick for someone who has never been active on gameday and will be gone after this season? Are the Bills that good that they just give away draft picks for nothing? Or is our GM completely clueless? I go with the second option.

Do they save money by keeping him inactive? What's the point of an insurance plan that would never be used?

They (Nix/Whaley) had had their eye on him for a couple years, actively pursuing him with a quality contract before he went to Seattle. I think they just saw he was available for dirt cheap and went for it. I've never asked what Chan's opinion is on the matter so I don't know if there is a disconnect there.

The question I have at this point, is do the Bill earn a compensatory pick if he leaves as a FA? Did they trade away a 7th rnd pick with the knowledge that they would receive it back the next offseason? If so, it's hard to give them too much grief for acquiring a player they liked at virtually no cost.

They (Nix/Whaley) had had their eye on him for a couple years, actively pursuing him with a quality contract before he went to Seattle. I think they just saw he was available for dirt cheap and went for it. I've never asked what Chan's opinion is on the matter so I don't know if there is a disconnect there.

The question I have at this point, is do the Bill earn a compensatory pick if he leaves as a FA? Did they trade away a 7th rnd pick with the knowledge that they would receive it back the next offseason? If so, it's hard to give them too much grief for acquiring a player they liked at virtually no cost.

Don't know, but I want to comment on the whole TJ thing. I've come around to the side of firing both Nix/Gailey, but I don't hold the inactivity of TJ against them. The fact is, as the poster notes, they followed his career and liked what they saw. Took a flier on him for a low pick. Maybe - just maybe - now that they have him practicing with the team they see that he's worthless, regressed, and it was a waste of a pick. So what? It happens sometimes to the best of GM's. But if that's the case, then they should do exactly what they've been doing, which is forget about it, move on, and cut him in the off-season if he doesn't turn it around in practice. If they've decided he's worse then Thigpen, then starting him just to "see what they've got" will do nothing but waste another game day. At least with Fitz you can work on the offense and have a chance of getting something clicking with the recievers. Playing a guy you've believe simply can't get it done, just to prove it to the fans, would be a bigger mistake than having signed him in the first place.

This is such a joke. If we simply drafted Gronk over Troup and Russel Wilson instead of TJ drops-a-lot we would likely in the playoffs THIS YEAR.

The Bengals made the playoffs by taking AJ Green and Dalton - two guys we passed on.

Heck, JJ Watt or Aldon Smith over Darius may have been enough to totally change our D and make the playoffs this year.

Nix cant draft. Its not only the guys he has taken that have sucked but the guys he has passed on, specifically at QB, have been great.

Its a joke, a big fat total joke.

I don't mind Nix, and I don't think he's done worse than half the GM's in the NFL. However, I do think he has a fatal flaw, or lacks a certain mentality that exists in the Great Coaches of the NFL. I believe Nix could win us a Super Bowl with the right coach, a coach that possesses that mind-set. However, some of the more sought after H.C.ing candidates want to run the team AND coach. When Nix took over he told the fanbase, as much as they didn't want to hear it, that doing the right job would take time, but that they would build it the right way, through the draft.

You see, by admitting, right from the start, that it will likely take time, what you're doing is giving yourself permission to fail, permission to lose right away. When does this permission end? How long until winning is necessary? I mean, when you start out by saying, this is going to take time, you can still say, at the end of the third year, we're not there yet.

Compare that mentality to a guy like Harbaugh, for instance, or the guys in Indy, or Seattle - coaches that go in and say, "Just because no one considers us as one of the better teams, that has no bearing on what we really are. We have the talent to win right now - but we all have to be accountable and we all have to do our jobs!" If you aren't thinking this way - that the team you go into the season with is good enough to win with, then you are not qualified for the NFL. There are enough F.A.'s, and rookies and guys out there to fill up a roster with the right kind of talent to win with. It's just that the really good NFL GM's and coaches know exactly what type of player they want, they know exactly how they want their team to play, and so they can identify the right players when they see them. Contrast that with Nix's switch fromt the 3-4 to the 4-3. He didn't know what he was looking for, necessarily.

What Buffalo needs more than anything is the kind of guy who is smart enough to actually compete with the better coaches in the NFL, and one who has the mentality I referred to above. The right coach and QB could be here this offseason, and the Buffalo Bills could be back!

I think a three year plan is possible only when the most important piece of the plan is in place: The QB. As much as I love Fitzy, he's just not the guy. He doesnt have the consistency to be a starting QB in the NFL.

The rest of the team has some talent. Now, all they have to do is find a starter at the most critical position: QB.

I'm not defending the current staff, because it's clear they need to move on, but if it were as simple as "just" getting a quality starter at QB, every team would be doing it. At this point, it might be better for the team to "reach" for a QB in the draft rather than bring in a free agent. The fish supposedly "reached" for Tannehill, and as of now it looks like it's working out for them.

So the question is: Who do we reach for?

When Buddy came in here and talked about how it's gonna take 3 years to build this team. I couldn't believe the buy in from so many fans on this board. Never mind that so many teams have proven that it can be done in an offseason. That big mouthed dope convinced the Die-hards that, "We are gonna do it through he draft!" and we "aren't gonna sacrifice our future for some instant gratification". Well Buddy, you went from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3, spent a a billion on FAs and now you are ready to trade up for a QB and your third year ain't even up!

So what happened to the "build through the draft" philosophy? The best players on the team besides Spiller were all here!!!

Here's my point, there should be no "set" plan. One philosophy doesn't fit all and great teams do everything well, not just the draft (Which Buddy has shown to be below average at).

The amazing thing about Buddy the failure is that he was so busy "sticking to his guns" that he ignored the two most important things in modern day football; get a QB and bring in a great coach. He hired Chan and doubled down on Fitz. There is no defending this clown anymore. He has failed miserably.

Next.

The point is so many were completely convinced and excused terrible football because of Buddy' ridiculous plan. How bout a one year plan? No novel of an idea for ya? It seemed to work for 3 or 4 other teams this year.

To your second point, you cannot be serious. He brought in Chan right, his drafts have been bad, he passed on 4 or 5 QBs that will be in the playoffs this year right. And you say the only thing he;s done wrong is give FItz an extension? 15-32 sounds more like a men's airport bathroom than a fizzle.

INo improvement in year 3 of Nix's master plan. He said it himself, "show me the baby". Let me translate this hick's BS into english, "let me see the results!" 15-32

So spare me with "all of talent that he's brought in." Where are the impact players not named Spiller? You'd think in 3 years he would have picked or drafted more than one. Urbick, Chandler, Pears are nothing more than average and I some people act like he's bringing in All Pros. This is fans suffering from such a lack of talent for so long that a decent player is crowned a good player. It's sad. You want to see impact? Watch Seattle and watch KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. Those are guys that impact football games who weren't taken in the first round round and all are in their first or second years. Buddy brings Sheppard, Searcy, Williams, Bradham and Graham to fill spots and that's about all. No impact Buddy, your baby is a troll.

I don't want Nix retained even as a janitor in the draft war room. His picks have been horrible.

What was the point period of giving up a draft pick for someone who has never been active on gameday and will be gone after this season? Are the Bills that good that they just give away draft picks for nothing? Or is our GM completely clueless? I go with the second option.

Not to mention that TJ collected 1.75 million. I'd love to hear his honest opinion of Chan Gailey.

Thats why I would support a hot College HC. A three year plan in college? LOL. How about one year!

This is such a joke. If we simply drafted Gronk over Troup and Russel Wilson instead of TJ drops-a-lot we would likely in the playoffs THIS YEAR.

The Bengals made the playoffs by taking AJ Green and Dalton - two guys we passed on.

Heck, JJ Watt or Aldon Smith over Darius may have been enough to totally change our D and make the playoffs this year.

Nix cant draft. Its not only the guys he has taken that have sucked but the guys he has passed on, specifically at QB, have been great.

Its a joke, a big fat total joke.

Agree 100%...The record is simply not good enough, and Nix's 3 years have been littered with mistakes... B-)

When Buddy came in here and talked about how it's gonna take 3 years to build this team. I couldn't believe the buy in from so many fans on this board. Never mind that so many teams have proven that it can be done in an offseason. That big mouthed dope convinced the Die-hards that, "We are gonna do it through he draft!" and we "aren't gonna sacrifice our future for some instant gratification". Well Buddy, you went from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3, spent a a billion on FAs and now you are ready to trade up for a QB and your third year ain't even up!

So what happened to the "build through the draft" philosophy? The best players on the team besides Spiller were all here!!!

Here's my point, there should be no "set" plan. One philosophy doesn't fit all and great teams do everything well, not just the draft (Which Buddy has shown to be below average at).

The amazing thing about Buddy the failure is that he was so busy "sticking to his guns" that he ignored the two most important things in modern day football; get a QB and bring in a great coach. He hired Chan and doubled down on Fitz. There is no defending this clown anymore. He has failed miserably.

Next.

Your right.

The fact that the Bills thought that Fitz was the guy to get them to the playoffs set this organization back . It shows the lack of talent in the scouting department as well as Chan's ability to measure talent.

First he started Trent when everybody knew he sucked. Then he sticks to Fitz even though he sucks worse than Trent did. They bring in VY who had a better record than Fitz and in my eyes never gave him a thought. Then he keep Thigpen who is worse than VY. They bring in T. Jackson and don't even make him second string even though he's better than Thigpen. They hang on to Merriman even though he is just stealing checks .

I dont get it for the life of me.

PS I do give Buddy credit for bringing CJ here. He is one of the best backs in the league. But our dumb head coach refuses to use him correctly.

But Buddy has missed on some picks as well and poor drafting has hurt this team more than anything.

Edited by Bufcomments