What Kind of QB Prospect Would You Pick?

BisonMan

Would you rather see the Bills draft a QB with a lower ceiling and higher floor or one with a higher ceiling and a lower floor?

That is to say, given that the draft is a bit of a crap shoot, should the Bills select a player that appears will be a steady and consistent NFL starter (think Matt Schaub) or one that may have very high potential (ala RGIII) and an equally low floor (ala Vince Young)?

My personal opinion is that teams don't win Super Bowls these days generally without a superstar QB (i.e. top 5ish). That's why I think the Texans won't win one anytime soon but they will be a consistent playoff contender. I do think the Redskins have a better shot even though they are probably several pieces still away from it.

I know almost zip about college QBs this year. Given my premise, which type of QB would you prefer at this point and which college QB best fits your choice?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you rather see the Bills draft a QB with a lower ceiling and higher floor or one with a higher ceiling and a lower floor?

That is to say, given that the draft is a bit of a crap shoot, should the Bills select a player that appears will be a steady and consistent NFL starter (think Matt Schaub) or one that may have very high potential (ala RGIII) and an equally low floor (ala Vince Young)?

My personal opinion is that teams don't win Super Bowls these days generally without a superstar QB (i.e. top 5ish). That's why I think the Texans won't win one anytime soon but they will be a consistent playoff contender. I do think the Redskins have a better shot even though they are probably several pieces still away from it.

I know almost zip about college QBs this year. Given my premise, which type of QB would you prefer at this point and which college QB best fits your choice?

The 2013 prospects have a wide range of upside, and downside...To me at least, Geno Smith looks more like the QB's of the future in the NFL...Guys who can pass it REAL well, stretch the field with their arms, then turn around and kill you with their running ability...It makes play calling SO much easier, especially when you have a weapon like CJ Spiller in the same backfield...If I'm going to get my preference, I want a kid like Smith...But there is only one Geno Smith in this Draft...So after that you just have to grab the next best guy and build around his skills... B-)

The 2013 prospects have a wide range of upside, and downside...To me at least, Geno Smith looks more like the QB's of the future in the NFL...Guys who can pass it REAL well, stretch the field with their arms, then turn around and kill you with their running ability...It makes play calling SO much easier, especially when you have a weapon like CJ Spiller in the same backfield...If I'm going to get my preference, I want a kid like Smith...But there is only one Geno Smith in this Draft...So after that you just have to grab the next best guy and build around his skills... B-)

I think our draft position wont allow us this option without making a move. That said, I agree it is nice to have that style of a QB. However, I don't want to waste a high draft pick on a role playing quarterback. I'd rather stick with fitz and beef up his supporting cast until a top tier QB is realistically available.

I'd settle for someone to throw the ball 20 yards + with accuracy, but I think it is essential they can move the pocket with their legs. At this point, we need consistent, better than average play from the position to have any chance at the playoffs. If that's a Schaub like player, so be it. (Though he throws too many INTs)

I think our draft position wont allow us this option without making a move. That said, I agree it is nice to have that style of a QB. However, I don't want to waste a high draft pick on a role playing quarterback. I'd rather stick with fitz and beef up his supporting cast until a top tier QB is realistically available.

I think your logic is flawed here because playing Fitz will never get us to the playoffs, yet he's good for 6 wins a season which never puts us in a situation to get a top tier QB. I do, however, agree with the premise we should not reach for a QB in the first. We have other needs (LB!) as well.

I think from what i've seen & read along with what Parcells says is the best formula to draft a good QB Tyler Wilson is one of my picks . From what high lights i've seen of him he is a better prospect than some others, has a good arm just needs some work as all rookies do.

Of course if we would have taken a low percentage chance on a 3rd round QB last year that all the "EXPERTS" said was to small to be a good NFL QB but had a college career that would rival any college QB career we would HAVE R Wilson sitting on our side line .

But don't take a chance on him b/c he's got great accuracy & has college stats & 5 years game experience & is a leader just pass on him b/c THE EXPERTS SAY !!!

I think from what i've seen & read along with what Parcells says is the best formula to draft a good QB Tyler Wilson is one of my picks . From what high lights i've seen of him he is a better prospect than some others, has a good arm just needs some work as all rookies do.

Of course if we would have taken a low percentage chance on a 3rd round QB last year that all the "EXPERTS" said was to small to be a good NFL QB but had a college career that would rival any college QB career we would HAVE R Wilson sitting on our side line .

But don't take a chance on him b/c he's got great accuracy & has college stats & 5 years game experience & is a leader just pass on him b/c THE EXPERTS SAY !!!

Tyler Wilson negatives:

Bobby Petrino system QB: How did Brian Brohm, Stefan Lefors and Hunter Cantwell do in the NFL?

Head injuries

Height

After looking at some video on glennon....his footwork in the pocket is superb....not extremely mobile but mobile enough....he is not a statue.....he will rise up the boards....I think this may be the guy to bills are targeting.... They targeted tj graham so I'm sure they watch a lot of nc state.

After looking at some video on glennon....his footwork in the pocket is superb....not extremely mobile but mobile enough....he is not a statue.....he will rise up the boards....I think this may be the guy to bills are targeting.... They targeted tj graham so I'm sure they watch a lot of nc state.

I agree with this assessment. He's not Bledsoe. The Flacco comparisons are pretty accurate; he isn't going to scramble for yards, but he has enough agility inside the pocket to prevent some sacks. His arm strength is off the charts.

The biggest negative for him is probably playing in the ACC and not dominating, but at the same time, take away TJ Graham and Russell Wilson, and I dare you to name me TWO NC State players since the Mario Williams era.

Also, this is the kid that made Tom O'Brien comfortable with letting Russell Wilson go from his scholarship with a year of eligibility remaining. That is noteworthy if you ask me.

I agree with this assessment. He's not Bledsoe. The Flacco comparisons are pretty accurate; he isn't going to scramble for yards, but he has enough agility inside the pocket to prevent some sacks. His arm strength is off the charts.

The biggest negative for him is probably playing in the ACC and not dominating, but at the same time, take away TJ Graham and Russell Wilson, and I dare you to name me TWO NC State players since the Mario Williams era.

Also, this is the kid that made Tom O'Brien comfortable with letting Russell Wilson go from his scholarship with a year of eligibility remaining. That is noteworthy if you ask me.

He did bring them back with a GW drive vs FSU, a trait we have lacked. He also hits receivers in stride, an important trait Fitz also lacks.

I watched Glennon play Florida State and anything he was throwing more than ten yards was inaccurate. In a situation with NFL caliber players his throws over the middle would have been picks. Most of big pickups were on short check downs. The play on 4th and 10 in the fourth quarter where he hit his receiver 6 yards short of the first was a complete lack of awareness. He had a couple good throws in the Miami game but wtf was up with that fourth quarter int? I'm also not sold on Tyler Wilson. He consistently gets he receivers KILLED. Its Geno or nothing in my opinion. And I'm not to crazy about him either. I like pocket passers that rely on awareness to find their receivers rather than their legs to get them out of trouble.

I guess I didn't ask this correctly. I'm not looking for a list of your preferred prospects. I'm asking if the Bills should be looking for a QB that's either a boom/bust player or a steady middling player. Given the Bills won't be able to draft RGIII, Luck or any of the other "sure thing" QBs, which kind should they look for? The Bills won't be picking #1 or #2 and likely will have to settle for a 2nd rounder. So, forget names of QBs. Do we go for high risk, high ceiling or low risk, middle of the pack type?

There are QB's in this draft that offer a chance of NFL quality play, and I'd say at least 5 and as many as 10 QB's that would be an upgrade over Fitz. Barkley, Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones, Taj Boyd, E.J. Manuel, and then that Alabama QB, if he were to come out. Out of that group, I think most will be gone by round 3. All have potential. Some will be very good QB's. It's for the Bills to figure it out this time, get the right one, and we'll be fine. I, too, wouldn't be opposed to getting 2, letting them compete and propel each other for years.