Obama takes no action on gun control;

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there will be an attempt to shift the focus to "mental health" by the NRA and other pro-gun entities...and there is certainly some validity to that...but, we already live in a country where conservatives tend to think any sort of mental health diagnosis are just excuses for bad behavior, or bad parenting...we don't seem to have the desire to equip our education system to deal with kids who have mental health issues...so what do you do with them?

I am certainly not advocating taking everyones' guns away, but I think many, even those who have always had a very pro-gun stance issue are rightfully wondering if we haven't reached the point where a little more control is warrented. But any time it is mentioned, the extreme people on that side of the issue, frankly, flip out. They need and want their guns...

I doubt I could ever convince you of anything! :thumbsup:

Mandatory gun training is something that clearly has merit. Investigating the negative effects of psychiatric drugs should be on the table, but won't be, because the drug lobby is buying too many congressional votes for it to happen.

The mans penis can be used in the commission of a crime and infected ones have killed millions in Africa, should we ban them?

An out and out ban would be unconstitutional. Simply controlling the amount of ammunition allowed to be loaded at one time and outlawing them as a concealed weapon should do the trick. Further restrictions could include prohibiting their use on the Hershey Highway.

Mandatory gun training is something that clearly has merit. Investigating the negative effects of psychiatric drugs should be on the table, but won't be, because the drug lobby is buying too many congressional votes for it to happen.

Try bringing that up at a PTA meeting and see how well it's received.

As for the dug industry, they've probably prevented more slaughters from happening than unarmed teachers have. The government has pretty much abdicated responsibility for the public's mental health since the Carter years. What - you expect them to care about that issue? I'd wager that probably very few schizophrenics and sociopaths vote. It's not a constituency that many politicians embrace either. They're too busy collecting donations so they can get elected to donate public money to their donator's causes.

Try bringing that up at a PTA meeting and see how well it's received.

As for the dug industry, they've probably prevented more slaughters from happening than unarmed teachers have. The government has pretty much abdicated responsibility for the public's mental health since the Carter years. What - you expect them to care about that issue? I'd wager that probably very few schizophrenics and sociopaths vote. It's not a constituency that many politicians embrace either. They're too busy collecting donations so they can get elected to donate public money to their donator's causes.

I don't get the PTA reference, please elaborate.

Not just the government. I don't think enough people care about the mental health issue. That needs to change, very quickly. I do agree on the non-voting thing, completely. A lot of things about our government needs to change.

I don't recall gun control being a campaign issue. Why is Obama expected to act on it now?

Gun control was not a campaign issue because it would have been a loser for Obama. It is a long standing democrat issue that is ok to bring up now that Obama has been reelected. Of course they can't let a crisis go to waste either.

ignorance knows no bounds... and this guy is a professor???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amitai-etzioni/gun-free-homes-and-commun_b_2322773.html

Just as repugnant as the NRA press conference. Nobody cares about fixing the problem, they only care about winning the issue. That's what America is all about!

The President's hypocrisy:

ramirez-debt-children.jpg

I see no change from the previous President. Bet he can't wait to sign off on the NDAA. Notice how they distract us from that with the illusory fiscal cliff.........

Just as repugnant as the NRA press conference. Nobody cares about fixing the problem, they only care about winning the issue. That's what America is all about!

I thought the gentleman giving the NRA presentation made some very good points and by the way, my kids attended both a middle school and a high school that are protected every school day by an armed policeman. These schools are in a nice Chicago suburb where crime is quite low and the officers have been in the schools for more than a decade.

Edited by keepthefaith

I thought the gentleman giving the NRA presentation made some very good points and by the way, my kids attended both a middle school and a high school that are protected every school day by an armed policeman. These schools are in a nice Chicago suburb where crime is quite low and the officers have been in the schools for more than a decade.

Making minor changes either way as far as guns go, will not change things dramatically, from how they are now. Going too far either way, will make the gun violence issue dramatically worse, by either having guns only available to criminals or by having too many guns out there in circulation to people who don't know what they are doing. A lot of avenues need to be explored. You saying that, is far different from someone in the NRA saying that, as I feel you are a lot more sincere about the general well being.

That said, the NRA needs to make some changes, or they will hurt our ability to own them for our defense, in the long run. I hope that doesn't happen, because this issue, as was proven with prohibition, you can't take away something which is already out there.

What is a semi-automatic weapon?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/media-myths-on-assault-weapons-and-semiautomatic-firearms/article/2516156?utm_campaign=obinsite

Civilian-available AR-15s aren’t automatic weapons

First, the Times calls the AR-15 “the civilian version of the military’s M-16.” The M-16 is a machine gun, that throughout most of its history – and certainly in popular understanding – has been a fully-automatic weapon. When you squeeze the trigger on an automatic weapon, bullets keep firing out of it until you stop squeezing. The U.S. military has shied away from automatic firing, and the newest M-16s have other settings – three-shot burst (which, relative to the automatic setting, preserves ammo and inculcates more discipline among soldiers in combat) and semi-automatic.

AR-15s that are legal to buy do not have the three-shot burst that the military’s current M-16s have. They also don’t have the automatic-fire option that most people associate with the M-16. [update: I should have made it clearer that the M-16s the U.S. military buys today do not have the automatic option.]