Obama takes no action on gun control;

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When people say things like “don’t let this moment pass without acting on gun control,” what they’re really saying is our arguments are so unpersuasive that they can only succeed when people aren’t thinking clearly.

Like it or not, this event will prove to be a tipping point. Tens of millions of parents who were willing to live and let live on gun issues changed their minds forever last Friday.

You are living in a bubble B-man.

That is not the case, sorry.

I'm out here meeting the public everyday in my job.

Certainly there will (and should be) lengthly discussions on how to prevent school shootings.

But the emphasis will eventually be towards mental health,

Not that there won't be some "gun control" legislation passed (the lifetime politicos have to prove they're doing something)

But this "tipping point" that is all the rage in media talking points today is just an invention.

Edited by B-Man

That is not the case, sorry.

I'm out here meeting the public everyday in my job.

Certainly there will (and should be) lengthly discussions on how to prevent school shootings.

But the emphasis will eventually be towards mental health,

Not that there won't be some "gun control" legislation passed (the lifetime politicos have to prove they're doing something)

But this "tipping point" that is all the rage in media talking points today is just an invention.

Yes, there will be an attempt to shift the focus to "mental health" by the NRA and other pro-gun entities...and there is certainly some validity to that...but, we already live in a country where conservatives tend to think any sort of mental health diagnosis are just excuses for bad behavior, or bad parenting...we don't seem to have the desire to equip our education system to deal with kids who have mental health issues...so what do you do with them?

I am certainly not advocating taking everyones' guns away, but I think many, even those who have always had a very pro-gun stance issue are rightfully wondering if we haven't reached the point where a little more control is warrented. But any time it is mentioned, the extreme people on that side of the issue, frankly, flip out. They need and want their guns...

You should clarify that, otherwise it isn't very convincing.

I doubt I could ever convince you of anything! :thumbsup:

Yes, there will be an attempt to shift the focus to "mental health" by the NRA and other pro-gun entities...and there is certainly some validity to that...but, we already live in a country where conservatives tend to think any sort of mental health diagnosis are just excuses for bad behavior, or bad parenting...we don't seem to have the desire to equip our education system to deal with kids who have mental health issues...so what do you do with them?

I am certainly not advocating taking everyones' guns away, but I think many, even those who have always had a very pro-gun stance issue are rightfully wondering if we haven't reached the point where a little more control is warrented. But any time it is mentioned, the extreme people on that side of the issue, frankly, flip out. They need and want their guns...

Do you really think that this incident should be linked to mental illness? Could it not just be that he was a bad person?

Do you really think that this incident should be linked to mental illness? Could it not just be that he was a bad person?

Not necessailly (though it sounds like there might be something there in this case), but that is how the NRA is going to try to shape this phase of the argument...its' not a "gun issue" its' a "mental health issue"....

And your response (not picking a fight, just that it illustrates my point) is that many will always deny that there is a mental health issue, that the perp is just a bad person. I can go along with that... but if we can't recognize mental health issues (and who would have faith that diagnosis/treatment will be correct), we can't treat mental health issues, and we can't change any laws as they pertain to gun accesss..then we are just stuck in the same place..and everyone will be sad when it happens again...but it will just keep happening, unless there is some modification made.

I won't pretend to believe that stricter gun laws will solve every problem, but it is a start... the whole silly argument always made that "cars kill thousands of people every year, so should we take everyones' cars away?" is just juvenile. And I suspect, people on the pro-gun side of the issue (for lack of better term) are hyper sensitive if anyone "politicizes" events like this, because they know, most every argument they make is going to sound silly.

"I guarantee you, Barak Obama ain't takin' my shotgun." Joe-the-gun-Collector Biden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcyLeOm6yGc

And Obama won't try to take Biden's berretta... the jump from tighter laws on gun access, and "taking my guns away" is pretty big.

Edited by Buftex

Not necessailly (though it sounds like there might be something there in this case), but that is how the NRA is going to try to shape this phase of the argument...its' not a "gun issue" its' a "mental health issue"....

And your response (not picking a fight, just that it illustrates my point) is that many will always deny that there is a mental health issue, that the perp is just a bad person. I can go along with that... but if we can't recognize mental health issues (and who would have faith that diagnosis/treatment will be correct), we can't treat mental health issues, and we can't change any laws as they pertain to gun accesss..then we are just stuck in the same place..and everyone will be sad when it happens again...but it will just keep happening, unless there is some modification made. I won't pretend to believe that stricter gun laws will solve every problem, but it is a start... the whole silly argument always made that "cars kill thousands of people every year, so should we take everyones' cars away?" is just juvenile.

From what I read yesterday, the NRA seems to be ready to accept gun legislation but we'll see what happens with that.

All I'm saying is that every time I open a newspaper or turn on a TV, they try to talk about what causes these kinds of incidents whether it be violent video games, movies and guns.

I call BS though I agree with you that using this approach risks the "nothing can be done".

Yes, there will be an attempt to shift the focus to "mental health" by the NRA and other pro-gun entities...

and there is certainly some validity to that...but, we already live in a country where conservatives tend to think any sort of mental health diagnosis are just excuses for bad behavior, or bad parenting...we don't seem to have the desire to equip our education system to deal with kids who have mental health issues...so what do you do with them?

Lol.........It was hard to take you seriously after that first sentence.............................."shift the blame to mental health" ? ?

as if a nut shooting up a school isn't 99% about mental health.

but its hard to get away from that NRA boogeyman for some.

Like everyone else, I want some action taken to prevent future shootings,

but the "unrealistic" mantra of "gun control" as the main action to take, as if that will successfully stop these horrible actions I will not join in on just to feel better, because it will not prevent Unlawful acts.

Look to your own Bubble sir.

Edited by B-Man

Lol.........It was hard to take you seriously after that first sentence.............................."shift the blame to mental health" ? ?

as if a nut shooting up a school isn't 99% about mental health.

but its hard to get away from that NRA boogeyman for some.

Like everyone else, I want some action taken to prevent future shootings,

but the "unrealistic" mantra of "gun control" as the main action to take, as if that will successfully stop these horrible actions I will not join in on just to feel better, because it will not prevent Unlawful acts.

Look to your own Bubble sir.

And you were so focused on the first sentence, you didn't read the rest...I don't think anyone is suggesting that tighter gun laws is going to eliminate ulawful acts...so we shouldn't do anything to make them less likely? And, yeah, you are right, it is hard to get away from the NRA boogeyman, because they are front in center lobbying to prevent restrictions....so if you want some action, what do you suggest? You seem sure about what won't help...what would help?

Edited by Buftex

But you went ahead and clarified it anyway, per my suggestion.