Here is how I assess this coach and gm

PNW_Bills_Fan

When Chan and Buddy inherited this team it was a mess. There was very little talent. Buddy has done a good job getting talent and depth. We are not where we need to be yet but we are much better off from 3 years with Buddy than we were with any GM between Butler and Buddy. Now we are missing a couple pieces. We need to keep signing our home grown talent and get the franchise QB we need. In my opinion Chan has half of next year to show me that we are not going to keep this losing cycle. I don't think you change after this year. This is my 2 cents have fun telling me I am wrong.

When Chan and Buddy inherited this team it was a mess. There was very little talent. Buddy has done a good job getting talent and depth. We are not where we need to be yet but we are much better off from 3 years with Buddy than we were with any GM between Butler and Buddy. Now we are missing a couple pieces. We need to keep signing our home grown talent and get the franchise QB we need. In my opinion Chan has half of next year to show me that we are not going to keep this losing cycle. I don't think you change after this year. This is my 2 cents have fun telling me I am wrong.

Dick did amazing things to win 7 games every year with such a mess of a team

Posters make the leap that the talent was bad because Nix dumped lot of it.

But in retrospect, it turns out Buddy and Chan don't know what talent is - and wasted a lot of it and a lot of time in gutting teh roster and converting to 3-4 and back to a 4-3.

The team still has no LBs 3 years into a re-build

For being talent experts, how could Chan and Buddy hitch their wagon to Trent Edwards and invest all of the off-season and camp in him, only to cut him outright 2 games into the season.

Somebody screwed the pooch n talent evaluation, and Buddy is his name

I think you are too close to the building to see how tall it is.

The Bills are not a talented team. Nix has drafted D linemen in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round AND spent about $150 million on big name FAs. What will they draft in April? Probably a D-lineman. In addition:

QB - Huge need

ORT - Huge need

WR - Need

RDE - Huge need

LB- HUGEST need

LB - see above

This team is no better than at any point in the last 10 years.

Another sign of a bad organization: Missed draft picks. Can you say, for sure, that Nix has hit on even 1 draft pick? From any year, any round. For me the jury is still out and that's not a good sign.

This is a bad football team, led by a fading journeyman who duped a desperate franchise into a big contract with the 5 game stretch of his life.

The cupboard isn't bare due to the O-line and D-line investments. But this team has a long way to go.

They are 5-9. I'd hate to see their record if Nix hadn't done such a fine job. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

If OBD continues the current football personnel they send a message that almost, just missed, and we know what we have to do are valid responses to poor results year after year. Not good enough in my opinion. Replace those who do not produce positive results, concentrate on building a winning atmosphere, give incoming staff three years to produce...or else; tell them that up front--fear is a hell of a motivator. Mediocrity isn't an acceptable benchmark.

Maybe our politicians are ineffective because we continue to send the incumbents back to Congress, to do the same thing they did during their last term, with the same results--or, in this case, non-results.

Coaches, elected officials--same deal: Produce or get out of the way for someone who can produce the desired results. DEMAND IT!

Chan is 3 and 13 in divisional games thus far.

That is so far below mediocre it's pathetic.

Forget about the talent level of the team. It's obvious this guy is a lousy coach.

Maybe the game has evolved beyond him or perhaps his age is getting the better of him.

One thing is for sure you can't ever win your division if you don't beat any divisional teams.

Even if we luck into a franchise quarterback his talents will likely be wasted on this team.

Ralph Wilson is holding my fandom hostage with this pathetic front office and coaches.

I think you are too close to the building to see how tall it is.

The Bills are not a talented team. Nix has drafted D linemen in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round AND spent about $150 million on big name FAs. What will they draft in April? Probably a D-lineman. In addition:

QB - Huge need

ORT - Huge need

WR - Need

RDE - Huge need

LB- HUGEST need

LB - see above

This team is no better than at any point in the last 10 years.

Another sign of a bad organization: Missed draft picks. Can you say, for sure, that Nix has hit on even 1 draft pick? From any year, any round. For me the jury is still out and that's not a good sign.

This is a bad football team, led by a fading journeyman who duped a desperate franchise into a big contract with the 5 game stretch of his life.

The cupboard isn't bare due to the O-line and D-line investments. But this team has a long way to go.

Add CB and SS to the "huge need" pile, but I certainly agree with your point that Nix has done an absolutely awful job. It's funny to see Bills fans talk about how he and Gailey deserve another year. These are the same people who couldn't get rid of Jauron fast enough during his tenure. As bad as Jauron was - and he was certainly putrid - Nix and Gailey are a whole new level of horrible. The results speak for themselves, as do the amount of holes on the roster and inability to beat anyone but the dregs of the NFL. This is Year 3 of the amazing "rebuild," and this is not a good team right now; moreover, it doesn't appear on the path to being one anytime soon. Progress is nonexistent. But by all means, give these guys more time! Ridiculous.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

i agree with the op

the talent on the team chuddy inherited was close to all time bills franchise bad. id say only the 2-12 teams had more total crap players. so really seasons 1&2 had close to no chance of being good

i do think they underachieved badly this season, but really they still only had borderline playoff talent as it is. im troubled by how badly things have gone downhill but really once they lost to the colts it was a super longshot to make the playoffs so crashing and burning the rest of the way doesnt really matter

its quite possible that with one more round of drafting, free agency, and team maturation that they could turn the corner. its disappointing we have to wait another year to see the baby but i think its a better option than starting over when the ralph situation is so up in the air

if they arent at least 4-4 at next seasons halfway point i would cut at least chan loose if not buddy too. but they deserve that last chance imo

Actually, I think you make a decent point; I believe Jauron was a better head coach than his record indicated, but had a team with poor talent (look at our QBs from that era; they are more Skelton than Fitzpatrick). Next year will be interesting if, and only if, we have a new coaching staff in place.

Wow we are not more talented than when DJ was here????? Really. I agree we need a qb and wr. I also agree we need LB's other than that I think we have talent. We have a strong D line and our o line is not good when healthy. I think one of the reasons for the red zone woes is the loss of David Nelson. He had great chemistry with Fitz. I don't think has the arm we need. I wouldn't be surprised if T-Jack battles with a draftee or two with Fitz for the starting job. I think the reason Chan went with Trent in the beginning because he practiced well but it didn't take long in game situations for Trent to be gone. If we all could do a better job than Buddy and Chan we need to change jobs because we could be making a whole lot more money.

Your wrong.

Horsepoop...these are all common misconceptions by most fans.

Let me ask some questions here. How many players on the roster were changed from 2009-2010 in Buddy and Chans first off season / year? Allow me to answer because you are so misinformed.

The Bills changed around 8 players from 09-10 and 2 starters

Offense:

Starting QB 2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick- 2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick...brought in under Jauron / Levy. Gailey gave all pre season reps to Trent Edwards only to cut him after 2 games. Big reason why the team went 0-8, 4-12

Starting RB 2009 Fred Jackson - 2010 same...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting WR 2009 Lee Evans -2010 same ...brough in under Donahoe / Mularkey

Starting WR 2009 Terrell Owens**- 2010 Stevie Johnson ...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting TE 2009 Shawn Nelson- 2010 David Martin ...Buddy Nix...very little impact player 7 catches for 43 yards

Starting FB 2009 Corey McIntyre- 2010 same...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting LT 2998 Demetress Bell- 2010-same...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting LG 2009 Andy Levitre-2010-same....Brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting C 2009 Geoff Hangartner-2010-same...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting RT 2009 Eric Wood-2010-same...brought in under Jauron / Levy

Starting RT 2009 Kirk Chambers-2010 Cornell Green 2 mill dollar FA, Buddy Nix (cut after 5 games) Mansfield Wrotto ...very little impact. Erik Pears brought in halfway thru the season as a waiver wire pickup. Still starting

RT was a clusterfuk in 2010 and a very strong reason the team started 0-8 and finished 4-12. Buddy Nix really screwed up this position.

Defense: switched from 4-3 to 3-4

LDE 2009 Chris Kelsay- Marcus Stroud 2010 ...both brought in under Jauron Levy

LDT 2009 Marcus Stroud...brought in under Jauron / Levy

............................................NT 2010 Kyle Williams Brought in under Jauron / levy

RDT 2009 Kyle Williams...brought in under Jauron / Levy

RDE 2009 Aaron Schobel - 2010 Dwan Edwards** Both here under Jauron / levy

LLB Keith Ellison 2009 Jauron / levy

MLB Paul Posluszny 2009 Jauron / Levy

RLB Kawika Mitchel 2009 Jauron / Levy

LOLB Chris Kelsay already here

LILB Aikin Ayodele 2010 FA Buddy Nix...where is this scrub now?

RILB Paul Posluszny already here

ROLB Reggie Tobor 2010 FA Buddy Nix ...where is this scrub now?

LCB Terrance McGee... 2010 Leodis McKelvin both brought in under Jauron / Levy

RCB Drayton Florance...2010 same Jauron / Levy

SS George Wilson...2010 Donte Whitner both brought in under Jauron / levy

FS Jairus Byrd 2010 same brought in under Jauron / levy

K same

P same

KR 2009 Fred Jackson-2010 CJ Spiller

PR 2009 Roscoe Parrish - 2010 CJ Spiller

Players changed in 2010

TE David Martin

RT Cornell Green- Mansfield Wrotto- Erik Pears

LILB Aikin Ayodele

ROLB Reggie Tobor

KR CJ Spiller

In 2010 the the Bills were absolutely desperate for help at several positions. ROT & LOT, DE & LB pass rusher (because Aaron Schoble retired) / run stoppers, all most notable, and Buddy Nix missed on all those positions.

It took 3 years to finally draft a LT, 3 years and 100 million dollars to finally find a pass rushing DE. After 3 years the Bills STILL don't have a franchise QB on the roster, and they haven't even tried to draft one

The Bills STILL have no depth at many positions, and still lack talent at many positions.

Bottom Line, Buddy Nix was a disaster as GM. His choice for HC was a disaster, the HC's choice for DC's in George Edwards and Dave Wannstedt were the biggest disasters of all

You could not have possibly have watched last weeks game and make this statement!

I am not a talent evaluator...but I can judge coaching and this team is poorly coached, schemed and motivated.

Sticking with Fitz for our offense has told them the coach does not want to win...

Wannstadt has taken decent talent and been out coached almost every week.

Horsepoop...these are all common misconceptions by most fans.

Let me ask some questions here. How many players on the roster were changed from 2009-2010 in Buddy and Chans first off season / year? Allow me to answer because you are so misinformed.

Bottom Line, Buddy Nix was a disaster as GM. His choice for HC was a disaster, the HC's choice for DC's in George Edwards and Dave Wannstedt were the biggest disasters of all

Excellent diagnosis. Can't argue with any of the questions you have posed.