Prediction - Kirk Cousins lights it up today

ACor58

That was a perfect throw.

As much as I think trading for Cousins is stupid, that throw was perfectly placed.

Didn't see the throw but from what I've heard - it sounds like its a case of a perfect throw still being lucky too. The type a young guy that doesn't know better tosses up that you don't really want your guy trying every week either because the odds are stacked against it.

You pose an interesting question. What is it about Mallett that made teams shy away from him until the third round? Many analysts acknowledged that he had a strong (impressive) arm, was accurate and arguably the best passer of his draft class. Was it character concerns? Is he not mentally sharp? I suspect his lack of mobility was a factor in diminishing his appeal.

I remember when he had the ESPN Gruden qb quiz session. I was impressed with Mallett's knowledge of the game and I thought he came off as a good kid. The clips of his passes were stunning. If you have some answers then let me know. If you want I will gladly put him the expanding category of Nix's missed qb opportunities. Sometimes hectoring does work!!! LOL

sidenote: If you get a chance watch some qb Mike Glennon youtube clips. There are some size and throwing similarities. Let me know what you think?

There were drug rumors about Mallett, and he had a drunk/disorderly arrest if I recall. He was a risk for sure, but if arm strength is your thing, he was the one to watch. I will go out on a limb and say that his arm is as strong as Cam Newton's.

There were drug rumors about Mallett, and he had a drunk/disorderly arrest if I recall. He was a risk for sure, but if arm strength is your thing, he was the one to watch. I will go out on a limb and say that his arm is as strong as Cam Newton's.

That's no limb - it is stronger. But it was drugs (even admitted, to what we don't know), maturity/leadership, and boneheaded plays in big moments.... I liked him as a midrounder though.

Edited by NoSaint

Didn't see the throw but from what I've heard - it sounds like its a case of a perfect throw still being lucky too. The type a young guy that doesn't know better tosses up that you don't really want your guy trying every week either because the odds are stacked against it.

I just saw it. It was as you described it, except it seemed just a little wobbly.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Bill, The drug use was more than rumors, he admitted to usage. Arm strength certainly is a factor when considering a qb prospect but maturity and a passion for the game are even more critical traits that should be considered. I understand why he was passed by Buddy. You probably believe that he was worth the risk as a third round selection but I also understand why the Bills would be reluctant to build their franchise around him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/668629-nfl-draft-rumors-whats-the-latest-buzz-from-around-the-web/entry/65494-nfl-draft-rumors-reports-surface-that-ryan-mallett-admitted-to-drug-use

Bill, The drug use was more than rumors, he admitted to usage. Arm strength certainly is a factor when considering a qb prospect but maturity and a passion for the game are even more critical traits that should be considered. I understand why he was passed by Buddy. You probably believe that he was worth the risk as a third round selection but I also understand why the Bills would be reluctant to build their franchise around him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/668629-nfl-draft-rumors-whats-the-latest-buzz-from-around-the-web/entry/65494-nfl-draft-rumors-reports-surface-that-ryan-mallett-admitted-to-drug-use

Agreed. I was real torn on him....

I understand why he was passed by Buddy. You probably believe that he was worth the risk as a third round selection but I also understand why the Bills would be reluctant to build their franchise around him.

I cannot. A 3rd round pick? If he would have bombed, so be it. How is Aaron Williams looking with the second pick of round 2? John, his potential is unlimited. Nick Saban said that only a couple of people on earth could ever throw a ball like him, and he was in college. I saw him throw a flat footed, 50 yard post pattern that was never 20 feet high, or so it seemed. This btw is all but impossible. He threw 40 yard out patterns with more zip than Fitz has on a 20 yard passes over the middle to Jones.

I know.....other teams also passed. But lots of them already had qbs. And he went to the right place. Bellichick would fire him in 2 seconds if he screws ip. He has Brady. But I will go out on another limb and predict that if Brady gets hurt, Mallett will advance that football team in the playoffs.

First off - it amazes me how angry people are on this board, especially some of the newer posters.

The point of my post was not that Cousins is the second coming of Tom Brady, but here are a few facts.

- The Bills had Cousins in for multiple visits, more than any other team.

- When the Bills took Nigel Bradham, Buddy cam right out and said that the guy the thought would be there wasn't - i.e. Cousins.

So here we are, 3rd year of ChaNix and we don't have a QB. Not a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd stringer.

First off - it amazes me how angry people are on this board, especially some of the newer posters.

The point of my post was not that Cousins is the second coming of Tom Brady, but here are a few facts.

- When the Bills took Nigel Bradham, Buddy cam right out and said that the guy the thought would be there wasn't - i.e. Cousins.

So here we are, 3rd year of ChaNix and we don't have a QB. Not a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd stringer.

1) are we allowed multiple visits? I thought there was a cap. We may have seen him at the combine, his proday, etc.... But I thought we only got so many visits?

2) just cause the guy they wanted was gone (don't remember that quote, but certainly possible) doesn't mean that was for sure the guy (though also very possible)

The T.Jax situation is the most telling, not to mention publicly embarrassing indictment of incompetence of this staff. Clean house. Blow it up.

Edited by benderbender

The T.Jax situation is the most telling, not to mention publicly embarrassing indictment of incompetence of this staff. Clean house. Blow it up.

It's also, by far, the most fan exaggerated issue around. It's really nowhere near the issue you think it is. Clearly not ideal, but you don't have to be a drama queen over it either.

Edited by NoSaint

I have no confidence in Nix to find us a QB this draft. WTF. They passed on 5 great QBs just this year. THey took Williams over Dalton. WTF!!!!!

Nix is not qualified to find us a QQB this draft

You really think there were 5 greats passed on this year? Or just 5 guys that probably wouldn't be worse than fitz? Are we counting luck and RG3 in this great list, or is it foles?

Edited by NoSaint

I have no confidence in Nix to find us a QB this draft. WTF. They passed on 5 great QBs just this year. THey took Williams over Dalton. WTF!!!!!

Please enlighten us.

GO BILLS!!!

I cannot. A 3rd round pick? If he would have bombed, so be it. How is Aaron Williams looking with the second pick of round 2? John, his potential is unlimited. Nick Saban said that only a couple of people on earth could ever throw a ball like him, and he was in college. I saw him throw a flat footed, 50 yard post pattern that was never 20 feet high, or so it seemed. This btw is all but impossible. He threw 40 yard out patterns with more zip than Fitz has on a 20 yard passes over the middle to Jones.

I know.....other teams also passed. But lots of them already had qbs. And he went to the right place. Bellichick would fire him in 2 seconds if he screws ip. He has Brady. But I will go out on another limb and predict that if Brady gets hurt, Mallett will advance that football team in the playoffs.

Bill, The best thing that happened to him is that he got drafted by the Pats and not the Bills. The Pats are one of the best, if not the best, organization from top to bottom. They have a terrific owner, a stable front office and one of the best coaching staffs in the league. Compare that to the Bills whose owner is a buffoon, now virtually incapacited due to his age, a GM whose thinking about assembling a roster is more than a generation behind the times. Add in a HC who is nothing more than a retread HC who would not be hired for the HC job by any organization other than this looney organization. While most organization strive for excellence the the Wilson franchise functions on a year to year basis thinking up ways to hoodwink the gullible clientele.

If you believe in Mallett's talent then you would not want him playing in western NY. His talent would be squandered. I feel sorry for players such as Kyle Williams and Spiller who through no fault of their own get stuck in this garbage organization. When you watch the Bills and then compare them to teams that are really good you realize that this hack franchise doesn't stand a chance of being a serious franchise. Nothing is really going to change until there is a new owner and the slate is wiped clean.

When Al Davis was running the Raiders it was evident that this bizaare man made odd decisions on behalf of his team. Everyone who had a penny worth of football knowledge knew that that once proud franchise never stood a chance until he left the scene and the organization started from scratch with some normal people making intelligent decisions. He put his very faded franchise in such a hole that it is going to take years to get back into being average. I feel the same way with the Bills. It's sad and embarrassing. The local fans deserve better.

The Bills are an irrelevant franchise not because of any inherent disadvantages that have to do with the limitations of the region. That is the myth that Wilson has been promoting for a long time to justify the financial raping of the region. The owner is the person who hired Levy to replace Donahoe. Then Levy was replaced with the marketing person, Brandon, who then was replaced by Nix, a 70 yr old scout, who would not be able to garner an interview let alone secure a GM position with any other franchise in the league.

In Nix's short three year tenure he has made a number of crippling dumb draft decisions that have set this franchise back by years. Just to cite a couple of opportunities that he was blind to a couple of years ago he passed on Kaepernick and Dalton to draft Aaron Williams in the second round. In last year's draft he passed on Cousins and Russell Wilson in the third round. How much confidence are you going to have in him making the decisions to get the franchise on track when he is one of the primary reasons why the team is currently off track?

What is amazing is how a GM and HC who are instrumental in their team's record of 15-31 have some staunch support? I guess when standards are so low you end up getting what you deserve. It's pathetic, so pathetic!

I love how everyone points out the "great" QBs we passed on but no one ever mentions the awful ones we also passed on.

I love how everyone points out the "great" QBs we passed on but no one ever mentions the awful ones we also passed on.

That's only because they were too busy making decisions about awful veteran QBs (Edwards, Fitz, Thigpen, Young) to focus their attention on making decisions about awful QBs in the draft.

You really think there were 5 greats passed on this year? Or just 5 guys that probably wouldn't be worse than fitz? Are we counting luck and RG3 in this great list, or is it foles?

Please enlighten us.

GO BILLS!!!

Luck RG3 Wilson Cousins and Foles have all played great this year (great is a relative term). Would you not agree?

You could say we had no chance at Luck, but we did have a chance at RG3 - we could have traded for that pick. Why didn't Buddy draft one of those 4 QBs?

PS: How many drops did Graham have today?

Why would we mention those ones? That makes no sense. Nix is paid millions of dollars to draft good players, particularly the QB we have needed since JK retired. We point out all the ones he wasn't good enough to identify.

Edited by peterpan

Luck RG3 Wilson Cousins and Foles have all played great this year (great is a relative term). Would you not agree?

You could say we had no chance at Luck, but we did have a chance at RG3 - we could have traded for that pick. Why didn't Buddy draft one of those 4 QBs?

PS: How many drops did Graham have today?

Why would we mention those ones? That makes no sense. Nix is paid millions of dollars to draft good players, particularly the QB we have needed since JK retired. We point out all the ones he wasn't good enough to identify.

I only count three in Wilson, Cousins, and Foles. I don't see what good it does to make stuff up about getting RG3. But if you need to imagine Buddy phucked that up, too, then go right ahead.

GO BILLS!!!

I love how you just can't let go of the fact this organization has absolutely botched the QB position for a decade plus. Of course people are going to call them out. I don't understand why you defend them.

I love how you just can't let go of the fact this organization has absolutely botched the QB position for a decade plus. Of course people are going to call them out. I don't understand why you defend them.

The good mini-run they had with Fitz seems to have evaporated completely. He's not getting better. He's bottoming out.

The good mini-run they had with Fitz seems to have evaporated completely. He's not getting better. He's bottoming out.

Back a few years ago when the arguments were going on about Fitz there were many Bills Fans, right here (not you Sisyphean), that felt Fitz would continue to get better and follow the Drew Brees career arc...I was asking two simple questions...What if he does not get better? And what if he gets worse?

I'm telling you, this thing could be seen from a million miles away...Fitz was what he was and what he will always be...And somehow he managed to cloud the minds of two guys (Nix and Gailey) who have been around the NFL and Football for a long time...It boggles the mind... B-)

Back a few years ago when the arguments were going on about Fitz there were many Bills Fans, right here (not you Sisyphean), that felt Fitz would continue to get better and follow the Drew Brees career arc...I was asking two simple questions...What if he does not get better? And what if he gets worse?

I'm telling you, this thing could be seen from a million miles away...Fitz was what he was and what he will always be...And somehow he managed to cloud the minds of two guys (Nix and Gailey) who have been around the NFL and Football for a long time...It boggles the mind... B-)

Even to that point the career arcs were wildly different.