Hire this man now! Doug Whaley as GM

mellaman101

Are you freakin serious? What coach that's been a HC in Buffalo in the past 12 years got a HC gig anywhere else in the league? (Phillips is an exception... he was HC only in title... Jerry Jones was/is the coach). Buffalo is only a temporary destination for a coach that would not possibly be hired by another NFL team. They take the Buffalo job only so they can say they were a HC in the NFL. It might land them an assistant coaching job.... or college HC.... but once they've been to Buffalo as an HC, the word is out... you are an ass kissing lemming that doesn't have a clue what it takes to win in this league.

What coach worth 2 S#its would come to Buffalo under the current circumstances? You watch... the next owner is going to totally purge this organization when the keys change hands.

If the team still remains here with the new owner. And you might be right but obviously, I won't want you to do the sales pitch. The Bilsl got Mario when no one thought we could. Hopefully, the guys in the FO can sell the Bills better than you can.

+1000000000000

Ralph needs to go before this team becomes anything other than the worst run football organization in the NFL.

Honestly, what do you think 94 yo Ralph does at this point? He opened the bank this offseason. If anything, he's spend too much money (Fitz, Jauron, etc.). This team's #1 FA target should be a young upcoming coach (David Shaw, Chip Kelly, Doug Marone). Bring they here and take them to Tempo.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the basis for assuming Whaley will be good?

Yeah, we don't know if he will be good...but the fact that most of our realistic alternatives are guys who failed, or are inexperienced, makes Whaley a more attractive option, in my book. The fact that he is younger, and came up with a strong franchise only sweetens things for me. And, for as young as he is, he has been around a while. If you believe what you read, the Steelers were pretty high on him. I just think this franchise needs an infusion of youth, and maybe some excitement, from the top. I am just trying to be realistic...sure, I would prefer a proven, vetran guy, but they just don't seem likely to come to Buffalo. Whaley, you would hope, would bring some energy, and would be out to prove himself... remember Bill Polian?

+1000000000000

Ralph needs to go before this team becomes anything other than the worst run football organization in the NFL.

While I hear what you are saying, Mr Wilson has experienced a few short periods where dumb luck has put the team on the precipise of good things...I am pulling for the Bills, win or lose, whether I like it or not...so I would prefer not to pin all my hopes on the death of the owner...when that time comes, we can talk..but until then, it appears he is the decision maker for this franchise.

Edited by Buftex

I like some of Nix's moves, and his honesty in interviews. He built the big boy lines on both sides of ball as well as anybody else has in the league, and got a few skill position guys along the way like CJ, Gilmore, Chandler etc.

He missed on a few draft picks for sure, but so does every team.

I also would have stayed with Chan this season, and don't think a mid-season firing helps the team at all.

The biggest question that must be asked before you switch GM's is What did my guy do wrong that a new guy like Whaley wouldn't have done?

Is it drafting? Pitt has definitely done that well (tied w Balt for most pro bowlers drafted in the last five years) Was that Doug Whaley's doing? Is he a talent evaluator type GM or a re-build/executive type guy.

Our problem is QB and coaching/game management right now. Would a guy like Whaley have recognized earlier that Fitz was no good and gone after a Moore or a Dalton or Kapernick or Russel Wilson or RG3? Would he have fired Gailey by now?

If Nix fires Gailey after this season, (I would offer him the OC job but I doubt he'd stay for it), then I would say i agree with most everything he's done so far since he's been here.

Nobody with a legitimately bright future in the league is coming to Buffalo (edit: or otherwise gunning to lead this franchise).

The list of reasons is a mile long, but we could probably start with: the ownership situation, the lack of a franchise QB, the size of the market, no #1 overall pick, etc.

It's both painfully clear and completely heartbreaking.

That said, we're still an NFL franchise, and that's still enough prestige to attract plenty of candidates, just none that anyone else likely wants.

The Bills need the first 10 Picks in this Years draft to turn it around. They've been bad soo long the NFL should just give us the first 10 players available. I can see that being the only way to turn this thing around....

I only pointed out my theory of a succession plan being in place because of my sincere belief that this team cannot be a contender while Ralph is still the owner. Nothing we haven't heard before, I know. But the bottom line is that the man has made one good decision in over 50 years of ownership - Bill Polian. And that decision had nothing to do with any foresight. He completely backed into it. Anything positive that happens while Ralph is still at the helm will be accidental. I say all of this hoping I'm wrong, but there's too much evidence to ignore.

Honestly, what do you think 94 yo Ralph does at this point? He opened the bank this offseason. If anything, he's spend too much money (Fitz, Jauron, etc.). This team's #1 FA target should be a young upcoming coach (David Shaw, Chip Kelly, Doug Marone). Bring they here and take them to Tempo.

Opening the wallet isn't the issue. It's the piss poor management and planning for the franchise that has doomed Ralph and us fans to this shitshow. The man has an ego the size of Detroit and has refused to let football people run his team since he bought 'em. That comes back to haunt you.

This team is a joke and it's Ralph's fault. The buck stops at the top and until there's a change there, there won't be a change in terms of the Bills' championship hopes.

While I hear what you are saying, Mr Wilson has experienced a few short periods where dumb luck has put the team on the precipise of good things...I am pulling for the Bills, win or lose, whether I like it or not...so I would prefer not to pin all my hopes on the death of the owner...when that time comes, we can talk..but until then, it appears he is the decision maker for this franchise.

I'm not pinning hopes on Ralph dying. I'm (shockingly) not that morbid. But the fact remains that nothing will change until he goes. Ralph is ultimately responsible for the product on the field. And, he is responsible for the 13 plus seasons of playoff-less football in Buffalo.

Ralph has gotten in his own way more often than not. His ineptitude as an owner according to the only stat that counts -- titles -- has been on full display the past 13 years. In terms of building a brand, making money from the region he has been a phenomenal success as an owner.

Giving a guy a pass because he's 94 is as lame as wishing he would die. I don't wish he would die, I wish he would give up control of the team. But since he won't, then I'm done getting my hopes up until there is an ownership change. This team will not win with Ralph at the helm, doesn't matter what you do with the window dressing in terms of QB, coaches or GM.

Opening the wallet isn't the issue. It's the piss poor management and planning for the franchise that has doomed Ralph and us fans to this shitshow. The man has an ego the size of Detroit and has refused to let football people run his team since he bought 'em. That comes back to haunt you.

This team is a joke and it's Ralph's fault. The buck stops at the top and until there's a change there, there won't be a change in terms of the Bills' championship hopes.

I'm not pinning hopes on Ralph dying. I'm (shockingly) not that morbid. But the fact remains that nothing will change until he goes. Ralph is ultimately responsible for the product on the field. And, he is responsible for the 13 plus seasons of playoff-less football in Buffalo.

Ralph has gotten in his own way more often than not. His ineptitude as an owner according to the only stat that counts -- titles -- has been on full display the past 13 years. In terms of building a brand, making money from the region he has been a phenomenal success as an owner.

And if you want more proof, look how Gailey now sounds like Jauron, who sounded like the 20-odd guys that preceded him. Only three guys bucked the trend and quit when they realized they were in Wilson's quicksand - Saban, Knox and (laughingly) Mularkey.

Yeah, we don't know if he will be good...but the fact that most of our realistic alternatives are guys who failed, or are inexperienced, makes Whaley a more attractive option, in my book. The fact that he is younger, and came up with a strong franchise only sweetens things for me. And, for as young as he is, he has been around a while. If you believe what you read, the Steelers were pretty high on him. I just think this franchise needs an infusion of youth, and maybe some excitement, from the top. I am just trying to be realistic...sure, I would prefer a proven, vetran guy, but they just don't seem likely to come to Buffalo. Whaley, you would hope, would bring some energy, and would be out to prove himself... remember Bill Polian?

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with Whaley being our next GM. I was just curious what all the urgency and excitement was all about.

If Whaley takes over he will hire somone from Pitt or that has connections to Pitt.

Bruce Arians, Ray Horton, are possibilitys

Why would Arians leave Indy and coaching Andrew Luck for the next decade to come here? I wouldn't... And why this love affair for someone with no experience as a GM???

I would trust a Bill Polian even at his age to choose our next QB a hell of a lot more than Whaley...

Nix and Chan must go...

. Yeh stc, I am pretty much with you on this one. We might be in a minority though

I think it's clear Whaley is the successor.

I also am hanging my hat on him.

This guy is our future and that's a good thing imho. Buddy did a nice job in picking him and last years draft really showed Doug is taking the reins. to me anyway.

Buddy moves up. Whaley to gm. Chan Fired. Works for me

Fired or demoted to OC where he belonged. depends on how season plays out.

If he has lost the team he will have to leave. and he knows this

Edited by 3rdand12

I think it's clear Whaley is the successor.

I also am hanging my hat on him.

This guy is our future and that's a good thing imho. Buddy did a nice job in picking him and last years draft really showed Doug is taking the reins. to me anyway.

Fired or demoted to OC where he belonged. depends on how season plays out.

If he has lost the team he will have to leave. and he knows this

A new HC will probably want his own staff.

Even if Nix retires (he won't be fired) and Whaley takes the GM gig, there's debate about who's running the team on behalf of RW. Is it Littman, Brandon, or Overdorf? Anyone who thinks RW is doing it day to day is kidding themselves.

There isn't a weaker team in the entire league at the 4 critical positions: Owner, GM, HC, and QB. You just can't name a worse combination and changing the GM won't significantly improve this team's fortunes without the other 3 being upgraded.

Let me guess... and Cowher will be the new coach?

If Whaley becomes GM, expect Bruce Arians to be the front runner for the HC job. Bruce was the Offensive Coordinator in Pittsburgh during Whaley's time. I however hope they do not change this defense back from 4-3 to 3-4.