DraftTek 3 Round Mock

Astrobot

No matter how we draft if we don't get a legitimate qb prospect in the first or second round the draft is a failure, at least for me. I would be willing to give up a third round pick to move higher in the second round to get one of the lower first to second round rated qbs. The way Astro set the draft is fine with me. If there is a qb that Buddy is comfortable with as a prospect I would prefer him taking that position in the first round, even if there are higher rated players at other positions.

Buddy passed on picking Dalton when he was available for us near the top of the second round a couple of years ago. That was a lost opportunity for us and a fulfilled opportunity for the Bengals. Even if a qb selected in the draft doesn't play much in his rookie year at least someone is in the pipeline to be prepared to take over when the time comes.

Edited by JohnC

No matter how we draft if we don't get a legitimate qb prospect in the first or second round the draft is a failure, at least for me. I would be willing to give up a third round pick to move higher in the second round to get one of the lower first to second round rated qbs. The way Astro set the draft is fine with me. If there is a qb that Buddy is comfortable with as a prospect I would prefer him taking that position in the first round, even if there are higher rated players at other positions.

Buddy passed on picking Dalton when he was available for us near the top of the second round a couple of years ago. That was a lost opportunity for us and a fulfilled opportunity for the Bengals. Even if a qb selected in the draft doesn't play much in his rookie year at least someone is in the pipeline to be prepared to take over when the time comes.

What if this draft class is graded similarly to 2010's? With Bradford/Smith going first, and then the rest of the prospects looking like Tebow, McCoy and Claussen?

I agree that addressing the QB spot should be top priority. However, it is not always easy to do if you don't have the #1 overall pick. For as large of a need as it is, I dont want the team reaching for a position and leaving talent on the board. Especially since drafted QBs come with different "rules" than other players, where teams will stick with them for at least a few years before moving on.

Yes, we must address the QB position. But let's not forget about the drawbacks of being too hasty or desperate.

I can't envision a draft in which Te'o falls to us. I'd be happy if we got him, but I think it's a pipe dream and he's a lock for top 8 (and we'll be picking in the 10-18 range). I can't stand Jones, but I think he's got a better upside than Fitz, so I'd deal with it and hope he pans out. He looks to be one of the QBs teams will blitz all day and get him rattled. He looks like a deer in headlights with people in his face.

What if this draft class is graded similarly to 2010's? With Bradford/Smith going first, and then the rest of the prospects looking like Tebow, McCoy and Claussen?

I agree that addressing the QB spot should be top priority. However, it is not always easy to do if you don't have the #1 overall pick. For as large of a need as it is, I dont want the team reaching for a position and leaving talent on the board. Especially since drafted QBs come with different "rules" than other players, where teams will stick with them for at least a few years before moving on.

Yes, we must address the QB position. But let's not forget about the drawbacks of being too hasty or desperate.

Agreed. If the coaches/FO isn't sold on a QB in the first couple rounds, best bet might be to take a flyer on a guy later on. While I'm sick of Fitz and am a big believer that having a top flight QB is the most important ingredient in a SB team, you can't suck blood from a stone. Ugh.

Let me clarify my position. I'm only talking about drafting a legitimate franchise qb prospect. If there are no reasonable prospects who have the potential to start in this league on the board then I wouldn't be for drafting a qb for the sake of drafting for a need.

There are no Luck's or RG III caliber of prospects on the board this year. That doesn't mean that there isn't a Dalton type caliber of qb in the pool who would be a good prospect and upgrade the position for us. Is Kaepernick a legitimate franchise prospect? I would say yes. We let him also pass by for another CB in the second round. Are Mallett and Wilson legitimate starting prospects? That is a judgment that our scouts have to make.

If the Bills draft a prospect as they did with Losman and it doesn't work out, then so what? You can't freeze or be too timid to try again because a prospect doesn't make the grade. You make the same claim for every position on the field. How has Troup worked out or so far Aaron Williams?

The qb position is a position that usually takes time to for a player to learn. Nix had opportunities to get a solid prospect in the pipeline and he declined to do so. Belatedly, when it gets done it will set the offense back because the learning curve will still come into play.

I'd be thrilled with this draft (although I prefer Wilson to Jones).

Yes, I would also much prefer Tyler Wilson over Landry Jones. I doubt Wilson lasts until the second round, however, after the senior bowl, pro-day workouts, combine, etc... In my opinion, Tyler Wilson is a more complete prospect than Jones....or Barkley for that matter. Tyler has all the tools...just plays on a REALLY crappy Arkansas team.

I'd rather see a CB or another LB in RD 3. I think the D-line is set especially at D-End.

Agreed....I'd prefer the best LB available, or even a safety over a 4-3 DE. I think we're pretty set at that position.

Only 1 QB taken in rd 1? Seems highly unrealistic. Has that ever happened before ?

Bills chiefs jags raiders cardinals eagles jets all couldbe looking, and who knows if the right guy is there someone with an aging vet with question marks like chargers could snag one too

But I agree you nailed Bills 2 vital needs : QB and MLB

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'd rather see a CB or another LB in RD 3. I think the D-line is set especially at D-End.

I would have agreed with you, but I looked up DE43 on ProFootballFocus.com, and they rank our DE's at #19, 32, 58, 87, and 99.

The computer picked Cornelius Carradine based on BPA given TBD's Positional Rankings.

19 Kyle Moore
32 Mario Williams					
58 Shawne Merriman		
87 Chris Kelsay					
99 Mark Anderson

Edited by Astrobot

The qb position is a position that usually takes time to for a player to learn. Nix had opportunities to get a solid prospect in the pipeline and he declined to do so. Belatedly, when it gets done it will set the offense back because the learning curve will still come into play.

Per the bolded, I believe you will see Fitz for the foreseeable future, at least while Chan is around. Chan has said he can with with him and that seems to be why Buddy has not picked a qb up to this point and thereby attempted to fill other holes. So the learning curve should be hidden until the new qb is ready, barring injury. Similar scenario as freddie/cj, which I think is the way it should happen.

I hope they take two qb prospects in this coming draft. We should have the roster space so you might as well try and hit on somone to groom as a future qb.

I think teo would be a good pickup in the first because judging by draftek there don't seem to be many 4-3 lbs in the first couple rounds this year. Given that scarcity, I wouldn't be suprised if he gets taken pretty high.

Per the bolded, I believe you will see Fitz for the foreseeable future, at least while Chan is around. Chan has said he can with with him and that seems to be why Buddy has not picked a qb up to this point and thereby attempted to fill other holes. So the learning curve should be hidden until the new qb is ready, barring injury. Similar scenario as freddie/cj, which I think is the way it should happen.

Where I have a slightly different take is that the learning curve can't be hidden. For the most part you learn by playing. That doesn't mean that you can't work with a prospect in practice and better prepare the young qb when he does get on the field.

I have been critical of Nix for not addressing this issue sooner rather than later. His position is that he either wasn't in position to draft the caliber of qb he really wanted or that he didn't believe there was a qb on the board who he felt he wanted to be his franchise qb. In my view Dalton was a reasonable prospect he was in position to take who would have been a legitimate franchise qb. Clealry, he felt otherwise. Dalton is the starting qb for the Bengals and is playing fairly well. If he would have been drafted by Nix Dalton would now be our starting qb.

Both Nix and Gailey felt that Fitz would be an adequate starting qb for us to buy time until the organization was in position to draft a replacement. Fitz always had limitations with respect to his accuracy and arm strength. That has not changed and will never change. In my view both Gailey and Nix miscalculated on the qb issue and set this franchise back.

I think teo would be a good pickup in the first because judging by draftek there don't seem to be many 4-3 lbs in the first couple rounds this year. Given that scarcity, I wouldn't be suprised if he gets taken pretty high.

There is no doubt that Teo would be an excellent prospect. But if there is a legitimate franchise qb available when we pick we have to take the plunge and get that qb prospect in the fold sooner rather than later. If Nix concludes that there isn't a quality qb prospect in this draft then don't reach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.