DraftTek 3 Round Mock

Astrobot

JohnC makes a good point.

By setting things up in a linear/sequential curve it arguably takes longer for the team to reach playoff caliber.

The other way is to build the team with the young QB all at the same time. This was the case with Jim Kelly, Joe Montana and others. In other words the stocking of the roster and the selection of the franchise quarterback doesn't have to be an "A then B" situation.

Looking through the first two rounds, it seems to me a lot of players are being very underrated. Speaking specifically of Bills players, I think it's doubtful that either of those guys are available at those picks. Teo is a top 5 talent. He may drop a few slots lower due to position, but I can't see him falling out of the top 10. Personally I think that position for Jones is about right (maybe a little low), but QB's go early. Barkley will likely go early in the first round, Landry in the middle/to back half.

Mock drafts with 6 regular season weeks to go are an even larger waste of time than mock drafts after the season ends.

I like them because even though their predictive value is nill, it's interesting to see what different people's perceptions of the players & team needs are & how they evolve through the season & in the run up to the draft.

Looking through the first two rounds, it seems to me a lot of players are being very underrated. Speaking specifically of Bills players, I think it's doubtful that either of those guys are available at those picks. Teo is a top 5 talent. He may drop a few slots lower due to position, but I can't see him falling out of the top 10. Personally I think that position for Jones is about right (maybe a little low), but QB's go early. Barkley will likely go early in the first round, Landry in the middle/to back half.

I'd be surprised if Jones makes it out of the first, too.

A bit Unrealistic to think teo slips that far, but I like the pick if it were to play out that way. Jones in the 2nd is solid, he has a very desirable skill set, but I wouldn't expect him to start from day 1, probably half way thru the season if not the following year. 3rd rd is where I got lost, I understand the need for more pass rushers, even with the big investments we made this past year, however, I think a receiver, specifically a bigger 6'3" or taller with speed guy would be better for us.

Back to JOnes vs. Wilson, I have come to the conclusion, in part due to past history, that wilson is very much a by product of Petrinos system, looking at last yrs #'s and performances vs. this yr, it gives me pause. I can't help but remember Brohm, Lefors, and cantwell and think maybe wilson falls closer to that group.

http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Let me know what you think of the results of our Positional Ranking changes!!!

:thumbsup:

Astro

I realize Teo is an awesome prospect, but I think that if our defense plays like it is supposed to, Sheppard will do just fine. I think we have more important needs to fill with our first pick, depending on how free agency shakes out.

The QBs arent going to fall that far. Berkley goes in the first round. I see Jones also going in the first round.

I see Buffalo drafting 18-24 range. Any inside top notch ILB will not be available. I still could see them drafting a LB and QB in the first and 2nd.

What I would see them doing is to trade down to lower part of the first then move up in the second round with what they acquired. Doesnt matter which order but one will be QB and the other LB.

Bjoern Werner is going to be a super stud.... JJ Watt-esque in my opinion.

I'd be ok with the Bills picks you have, but would rather take a chance on Mike Glennon at QB. Think he will be a solid pro.

pass rushers over LBs every time :thumbsup:

No matter how we draft if we don't get a legitimate qb prospect in the first or second round the draft is a failure, at least for me. I would be willing to give up a third round pick to move higher in the second round to get one of the lower first to second round rated qbs. The way Astro set the draft is fine with me. If there is a qb that Buddy is comfortable with as a prospect I would prefer him taking that position in the first round, even if there are higher rated players at other positions.

Buddy passed on picking Dalton when he was available for us near the top of the second round a couple of years ago. That was a lost opportunity for us and a fulfilled opportunity for the Bengals. Even if a qb selected in the draft doesn't play much in his rookie year at least someone is in the pipeline to be prepared to take over when the time comes.

or Kaepernick but Jones will solve our QB issues

He looks to be one of the QBs teams will blitz all day and get him rattled. He looks like a deer in headlights with people in his face.

Guess you haven't seen any games this year.

I'd rather see a CB or another LB in RD 3. I think the D-line is set especially at D-End.

Not really, We hope Moore progresses and Mario has always been inconsistent his whole career. The Giants are always drafting D-Line and if we want to be a front four rush team we need more rushers bc none of ours are elite.

I would have agreed with you, but I looked up DE43 on ProFootballFocus.com, and they rank our DE's at #19, 32, 58, 87, and 99.

The computer picked Cornelius Carradine based on BPA given TBD's Positional Rankings.

19 Kyle Moore
32 Mario Williams					
58 Shawne Merriman		
87 Chris Kelsay					
99 Mark Anderson

Ahh stats to show our Ends stink, thanks Astro :thumbsup:

I cannot see Bray and Manuel dropping to the third round.

I seriously doubt Bray is coming out and no thanks Manuel.

or Kaepernick but Jones will solve our QB issues

You seem to be enamored with Jones. Would you rank him higher than Barkely or Wilson? I watched a good chunk of the Sooner/Irish game. I got the sense that Jones was the type of qb whose individual skills, especially throwing ability, doesn't match his production.

As I have already stated not taking Dalton or Kaepernick was a mistake that has set this franchise back. If either one of those qbs would have been added to the roster each of them could have been on the field almost right away, especially with Dalton, because a good running game would have helped them play effectively while learning on the job.

Odds are that unless Nix makes an uncharacteristic move of trading up to get the best qb that we could be the third team or so to pick from the qb pool. If KC takes Barkley, whose stock is moving slightly down, then Landry Jones or Wilson will be on the board for us. If Nix doesn't take the qb plunge with the first pick then he is risking having another team behind us maneuvering to get one of the qbs we desperately need.

Edited by JohnC

Why would Jacksonville be drafting another qb already? Is Gabbert that hopeless ?

That's what I'm hearing. Never draft a Blaine.

One stat about Landry Jones that interests me is that his YPA (yards per attempt) is higher than all of the QB's not including Geno and Barkley. And higher than all 32 starting NFL QB's.

Edited by Astrobot

Good Job Astro.

Much better than the last two mocks.

This would be a dream come true.

What are the contract details on Moore and Merriman? I doubt they're signed for 2013. So taking a nice young DE in the 3rd is a good policy.

As I said before I expect Barkley, Smith, Wilson, and probably Jones all to go in the first round. In the new NFL draft it is much more likely a team takes a chance on them early if they think they are the man.

Also Te'O' is going top 10. He is a more impactful Luke Kulkey so yeah if he fell to the Bills everyone would spooge in their pants. As much as I would love Te'O falling to the Bills its not going to happen.

A boy can dream . . .

Edited by Why So Serious?

Just out of curiosity what do you have against EJ Manuel

Has had two years to impress in the super weak ACC.

Hasn't done anything to impress.

Looks great on paper not during the game.

He is worth a 3rd day, late round flyer but not much more.

You seem to be enamored with Jones. Would you rank him higher than Barkely or Wilson? I watched a good chunk of the Sooner/Irish game. I got the sense that Jones was the type of qb whose individual skills, especially throwing ability, doesn't match his production.

As I have already stated not taking Dalton or Kaepernick was a mistake that has set this franchise back. If either one of those qbs would have been added to the roster each of them could have been on the field almost right away, especially with Dalton, because a good running game would have helped them play effectively while learning on the job.

Odds are that unless Nix makes an uncharacteristic move of trading up to get the best qb that we could be the third team or so to pick from the qb pool. If KC takes Barkley, whose stock is moving slightly down, then Landry Jones or Wilson will be on the board for us. If Nix doesn't take the qb plunge with the first pick then he is risking having another team behind us maneuvering to get one of the qbs we desperately need.

He miles better than Barkely and better than Wilson, I thought he played a great game against ND who has the best D in the country and if it wasn't for his coach putting Bell in all the time and his center hiking the ball into the endzone OU would have won that game. His coach tried that Bell crap in the WVU game and when that didn't work Jones won the game for them.

He is also better than Dalton and doesn't have they physical talent of KPNK but he will be a franchise QB like a Matt Ryan type.

Just out of curiosity what do you have against EJ Manuel

He's just another guy

Has had two years to impress in the super weak ACC.

Hasn't done anything to impress.

Looks great on paper not during the game.

He is worth a 3rd day, late round flyer but not much more.

What he said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.