The team is not out of Playoff Hunt

djp14150

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are most welcome :D

After all, its not every year that the Bills defense sets NFL records for being bad.

We set NFL records for bad Defense this year? I missed that, I assumed they waiting until the season was over before they handed out those awards. Is it a general "being bad" award or are there specific categories that we were chosen for?

We set NFL records for bad Defense this year? I missed that, I assumed they waiting until the season was over before they handed out those awards. Is it a general "being bad" award or are there specific categories that we were chosen for?

No really, we set NFL records for bad defense this year. How did you miss this: first team to give up 550 yards in consecutive games since the 1950 NY Yanks. OK, technically not a record, but cmon, who are the NY Yanks??

the fan base has been beat up by a brutal schedule and a 2 bad losses (NE, TItans) not that anyone thought we could beat the Patriots but before you realized it the game was right there to take and then the horrible Titans loss. Fact is we have a real chance to win all six and make the playoffs but we as fans don't understand how thats possible based on earlier games

We also had a chance to beat the Texans.

Add to that the epic nature of the 49s loss and it's no surprise us fans are demoralized.

I'm also seeing a shift in Chan's vibe, he was brimming with confidence and hope for two years and now he's just kinda there. He actually said something like "it's hard to win in the NFL" after the Miami win and a spit up in my mouth.

But, there's nothing like winning to cure losing . . . the Indy game will define the rest of the season, IMO. I don't like our chances, but if we find a way to win on the road against a good team, anything can happen. Go Bills!

Here is my prediction for the next 5 weeks. The Bills go 4-1, getting themselves to 8-7 and a likely crucial matchup vs the Jets in Week 17. Despite the Jets playing Tim Tebow and starting some backups in a desperate move to evaluate their depth heading into 2013, the Jets absolutely crap all over the Bills, who are then eliminated from playoff contention.

Edited by JM57

Think of it as wanting the Jets to lose.

If the NYETS win and the Putrids lose to SF and Houston, which is VERY likely, all Buffalo needs to take the division is a sweep of the next 6.

Miami has won against the Putirds and Jax nearly broke Houston last week.

Unlikely but feasible.

With the NYETS win this past Sunday ... Tebow is out of the equation for a few more weeks..

No really, we set NFL records for bad defense this year. How did you miss this: first team to give up 550 yards in consecutive games since the 1950 NY Yanks. OK, technically not a record, but cmon, who are the NY Yanks??

Remind us what the Defense rankings were for GB and NO when they went to the Championship(s) ... IIRC they were near to or last in the NFL Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's come up in the past, and this thread brings the idea to mind... During the Dick Jauron era, there was a thread where some posters considered a season a great beacon of successful things to come because the Bills weren't actually eliminated from the playoffs until after 14 games (IIRC). So, a couple of questions: 1) Should we still feel that way? and 2) Where is this magic "happy to have been in it" point exactly? The last time the Bills had their best playoff chance, they got eliminated in the last week of the season by the Steelers backups, but that seemed to have left a bad taste in fans' mouths instead of the Jauron effect that I'm thinking of...

I feel like this team is better, talent wise, than the Jauron era teams. Probably for good reason. There was no Marcell Dareus (sophomore slump aside)-Kyle Williams-Mario Williams trio on the D line. There was no hope for keeping young, promising players like Gilmore, Byrd, Levitre, or Stevie past their entry contract because of "the market". And I surely didn't feel like the team was only 4 or 5 starters away from true wild card contention during the Jauron era. But I do feel that way now.

I am not a huge Fitz fan, but I think this team COULD make the playoffs with him at QB with a few more upgrades. I don't remember the exact rankings, but I believe the offense is around 15th in the league right now. If the defense could be in the same area, this team would be in contention this year. With a top 10 defense, they are definitely in even with average QB play.

Two LBs are needed. I hope this comes down to one as Sheppard makes a big step in his 3rd year in the league. Not everyone can be Patrick Willis or Demeco Ryans and dominate as an MLB right off the bat unfortunately.

A veteran CB to play opposite Gilmore would also be nice. Someone calm and steady. doesn't need to be all-pro, but not washed up either. An upgrade at SS over Wilson, whether that is Searcy or a FA would also be nice. Add another year together, even in Wannstedt's vanilla scheme, and you might have a talented D that jels as a unit and really plays well.

As of today: Sportsclubstats.com, http://www.sportsclu...om/NFL/AFC.html, gives us a 7.4% chance of making it. :lol:

Edit: Crap, I thought I was doing hockey.... :lol: No matter, with a few changes, the point is still the same.

The upside? :lol: Statistically, we do not have to win out in order to make it in. Actually we can lose 1 game and still be in relatively good shape. See here: http://www.sportsclu...st/Buffalo.html

Scroll down to "What If", and see that 9-7 virtually guarantees a spot. (The numbers at 9 wins add up to 88.something...%, rounded up. The 0 at the 10 spot is less than .5%. Get it?) If you want details, just click on the "explain" links, it's fairly thorough. The thing to remember is, we don't play in a vacuum. The other teams have to win out, or just win games, as well. Their chances of that, given who they play, aren't very good.

You can mouse over the HOME TIE AWAY above the graphs to see the swings.

However, this thing has us mostly likely going 7-9(see the Count column in What If, 2.9 mil outcomes is largest #), and the Colts going 8-8 to get in. So, yeah, next game is a must-win. The entire forecast changes dramatically in that event.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Remind us what the Defense rankings were for GB and NO when they went to the Championship(s) ... IIRC they were near to or last in the NFL

Green Bay had the 5th ranked D during their SB year and allowed 15 ppg (good for 2nd in the league.)

New Orleans, on the other hand, was ranked 25th in yardage and allowed 21.3 ppg (good for 20th in the league.) It should be noted though that this Saints D also caused 39 turnovers (2nd in league) which gave the NO offense short field after short field. The were turnover machines that year.

So despite people's claims that an elite QB can do it all by himself it's simply not true. Football is, and will continue to be, a team game.

They have lost 5 of the last 6 and they are going to win out?

I'm sorry, but losing is both a product on the field and a mentality. We are a losing team.

Agreed, maybe 1 or 2 more wins. They'll find ways to lose games...

Edited by mattsox

The Bills had a brutal first half, Texans, Pats twice, 49ers. with 3 of those on the road.

You figure they would lose all 4 , and they did.

But looking at the rest of the schedule its not impossible. They fed CJ and play D like they did vs Miami anything can happen.

Got to get back to 6-6 first. Think if they do that they win gain some confidence.

The loss that is killer is the Titans home loss. Win that game we 5-5 and in business still.

OK I mis remembered I was thinking of GB and NE last season

NFL Team Total Defense Statistics - 2011

GB 32 and NE 31

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/year/2011

and I was thinking of New Orleans 25th ranked D.

Bills lose this week. THEN win the last 5. Get eliminated in a tie breaker scenario with everyone. 9-7. Chan stays. Buddy gets his qb. Get a new D cord. D looks great next year. Bills in the playoffs next season.

The Colts are still green with Luck,

Try this link someone posted - The playoffs are a posibility.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Try this link someone posted - The playoffs are a posibility.

http://espn.go.com/n...layoffs/machine

I prefer this one.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL/AFC/AFCEast/Buffalo.html

It shows that if the Bills go 5-1 they have a 67% chance of making the playoffs.

However at 4-2 they fall off a cliff at a 9% chance.

With the exception of maybe Jax, none of the remaining games are a lock. But none are a lock for a loss either.

I have a hard time seeing 5-1 with the remaining schedule, but they hold their destiny in their own hands.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I prefer this one.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL/AFC/AFCEast/Buffalo.html

It shows that if the Bills go 5-1 they have a 67% chance of making the playoffs.

However at 4-2 they fall off a cliff at a 9% chance.

With the exception of maybe Jax, none of the remaining games are a lock. But none are a lock for a loss either.

I have a hard time seeing 5-1 with the remaining schedule, but they hold their destiny in their own hands.

If they're going to lose, the best game to lose would be Seattle. The second best would be St. Louis. Keep that conference record as good as possible. The absolute worst loss would be this week against Indy. You're likely going to have to beat them in a tiebreaker.

If they're going to lose, the best game to lose would be Seattle. The second best would be St. Louis. Keep that conference record as good as possible. The absolute worst loss would be this week against Indy. You're likely going to have to beat them in a tiebreaker.

Agree. While we can beat them, Seattle is prob are hardest game yet and if that's the only one we lose then I still like our chances