Spiller is effing rediculous

CJ is the best open field running back in the league right now. questionable whether he is an every down back.While not tiny at 5 11(generous) and 200(generous)he doesnt play like a guy who can run it into the line and control the game.Fred is still(altho slightly over the hill) superior in this aspect.

Comparisons to OJ.....OJ was extremely strong and could carry the ball 30 times a game. Barry...well--thats a better comparison..lets see how that developes.Barry ran a lot more----and I always thought it was lose 2 or 3 or gain 60 fotr barry.that wasnt as productive for the Lions offense as it coulda been.

CJ 18 runs/game, Freddie 13-18 depending on the type of game it is.

CJ is in his prime.Use him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if anything this proves how valuable Fred Jackson is. Spiller went from averaging 7.3 ypc to 4.1 ypc in this game. Yes, Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. But when Fred pounds the defense and then Spiller comes in for a change of pace, the defenses can't react to the change of speed and a fresh Spiller. Our running game is much more effective when both guys are healthy.

Or when you give a back short yardage carries, his ypc obviously drops?

I thin everyone is getting carried away. Spiller is very good but he still has some limitations. He won't finish his runs strong, he has lots of negative yardage plays, he still hasn't shown that he can handle 25+ touches or more on a consistent basis and he has shown a tendency to fumble. Spiller may solve some or maybe even all of these problems and really become like Barry Sanders but he isn't there yet.

I think the team clearly missed Jackson vs Miami and the combination of Jackson and Spiller is still far more effective than Spiller alone.

Spiller is one of the five best players in the NFL right now. We haven't had a blue chipper like him since Bruce Smith, and before Bruce, O.J. He's that rare.

Very good point.

I hope he stays healthy. He is so fun to watch. My current favorite player.

For the people dissin him. He played a 5th run defense. He's not going to get 300 yards vs a run stop defense.

I thin everyone is getting carried away. Spiller is very good but he still has some limitations. He won't finish his runs strong, he has lots of negative yardage plays, he still hasn't shown that he can handle 25+ touches or more on a consistent basis and he has shown a tendency to fumble. Spiller may solve some or maybe even all of these problems and really become like Barry Sanders but he isn't there yet.

I think the team clearly missed Jackson vs Miami and the combination of Jackson and Spiller is still far more effective than Spiller alone.

He won't finish his runs strong? I disagree. While he doesn't finish every run likes its his last, I don't mind in the least. When he's in the pile, he's finishing strong. Sure, he dips out of bounds in some situations where he doesn't see himself getting many more yards, but its usually 5-20 yards past the 1st down marker with a defender bearing down on him. Taking less punishment and avoiding possible injury >> than getting a possible 1-2 yards extra when the 1st down has already been reached. He's going to have some negative plays. It's a given when he's he's consistently gaining extra yards when the plays are sniffed out by the D. He can't get away every time. He hasn't proved that he can be a 25 touch guy on a consistent basis because we have Fred. When Fred is hurt, IMO, he has proven he can carry the load. He's a stud. A superstar RB. He's not Barry Sanders, but he's damn good. We did miss Fred, but that's got nothing to do with spiller. That's on Choice.

CJ's got the quickest feet in the league, and he does remind me of Barry Sanders the way he can dances & make cuts. He's learned to be patient looking for holes to open up which makes him so effective. If he can stay injury free, sky is the limit. What a weapon.

He reminds me of Sanders too. Sanders was a bit shorter and stumpier with thicker legs but otherwise they are very similar. They're also similar in that both runners are dancers and have a relatively high percentage of negative plays (strikeouts?) mixed in with their home runs.

Watching CJ run in the fourth was so frustrating. Literally a drive killer on multiple occasions

He's becoming a better, more patient runner but he's not their yet… and he might never get there. That's alright though because he's already plenty good enough.

On another note, it's ridiculous how many times the word ridiculous is misspelled. ;)

The improper spelling of the word "ridiculous" is becoming the "dominate" spelling.

I think if anything this proves how valuable Fred Jackson is. Spiller went from averaging 7.3 ypc to 4.1 ypc in this game. Yes, Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. But when Fred pounds the defense and then Spiller comes in for a change of pace, the defenses can't react to the change of speed and a fresh Spiller. Our running game is much more effective when both guys are healthy.

To the bolded, Exactly.

A LOT of people don't seem to understand the benefits of style contrasts and the concept of change of pace.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

When you have a boxer who's an inside fighter and an outside fighter, he's much more effective than a one-dimensional fighter. The same is true with a running game. Defenses often have trouble adjusting to changes in running backs who have different styles.

To me it's hard to tell since its been so long since I've seen any of the guys in about to compare him to. But, Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, and Ladanian Tomlinson all come to mind. He could be as good as all of them IF..... Chan would just feed him the damn ball.

I'm sure Chan will have some interview talking about how we need to keep finding ways for CJ to get involved yet then, just like tonight, he'll remove him from the field of play inside the 20s. It was absolutely criminal how Chan handled the run game by Spiller tonight.

:thumbsup::wallbash:

MarkinSanDiego

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

I would normally say it would be insane for considering drafting an RB first round.. but this Spiller kid looks like a stud.. and seemly can break a big one every time he touches the ball. Trade Lynch, draft Spiller and draft OT round 2.. look for one of the QB's round 3.. get a couple FA's in the door on the OL.. give Brohm a shot to complete for starter.

http://forums.twobil...spiller__st__40

Guess I was off on Brohm.. LOL

Edited by MarkinSanDiego

He reminds me of Sanders too. Sanders was a bit shorter and stumpier with thicker legs but otherwise they are very similar. They're also similar in that both runners are dancers and have a relatively high percentage of negative plays (strikeouts?) mixed in with their home runs.

In terms of style, I liken Spiller to a mixture of Sanders and Emmitt Smith.

Every back is obviously at his best with big openings. Smith hit the hole as fast as anyone, and his OL was SO good that he often wasn't touched at all until he had run 5 yds (not necessarily from scrimage). Think about Spiller running right when he has a big opening. Someone with his speed explodes through holes and into space, where he is at his best. Plus, he and Smith both could block some. And, Spiller is now clutching the ball to avoid fumbles.

Spiller has exceptional moves ala Sanders, but not quite as amazing. Only a few can be mentioned in the same breath as Sanders in terms of moves, to include Gale Sayers and yes, OJ.

Then, there are the long striding speedsters. This would describe Dickerson and Peterson.

Let's not forget the bruisers with outside speed. Franco Harris and Chuck Muncie come to mind, as well as a young John Riggins.

The best at SEEING a hole and getting through it was our own Thurman Thomas. At his size and speed, he had no business putting up his numbes,but he did, because he could see creases to run through as they were developing.

Although he was before my time, I suppose Jim Brown was the best ever in terms of being able to do anything and everything.

Sorry to ramble, but in any event, Barry and Spiller are not quite the same style imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Stylistically the thing that I find similar about Spiller and Sanders is that they are both dancers. They both go to great lengths to avoid physical contact.

That is both their greatest strength and their greatest weakness.

On the other hand, I think Sanders will prove to be a more durable back than Spiller.

Sanders had 3414 career touches.

That's an average of 341 touches per season over a ten year career. I seriously doubt that Spiller will approach those numbers.

In that regard (durability), Sanders might prove closer to Emmitt Smith than Spiller.

Time will tell.

I think people are getting out of hand with these comparisons to all time great players like Sayers or Sanders. Spiller has a ways to go before he should be considered in their class, especially Sanders. He is definitely a weapon though.

I think people are getting out of hand with these comparisons to all time great players like Sayers or Sanders. Spiller has a ways to go before he should be considered in their class, especially Sanders. He is definitely a weapon though.

Well, a lot of people were calling him a bust after a season and a half too. This just in: sports fans completely overreact to everything.

Well, a lot of people were calling him a bust after a season and a half too. This just in: sports fans completely overreact to everything.

Yeah, especially when they construct an argument about a player based on one season or even more extreme, one game.

In fact we have people here who'll argue that one play proves their point.

Yeah, especially when they construct an argument about a player based on one season or even more extreme, one game.

In fact we have people here who'll argue that one play proves their point.

Exactly. Spiller is a very talented player who was top 10 talent. It can be argued that rbs shouldn't go that high unless they are special (Peterson). So we will see in the upcoming years if Spiller belongs in that category. IMO, if can avoid injury and get the touches, he will.