Roll Call: Jealous of the Colts for having Andrew Luck

Boludo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Colts fans even realize how blessed they are to get Luck. I mean think about it...Peyton Manning never misses a game...ever. Then one season in 2011, (the only season Andrew Luck will be available), Peyton has neck surgery...then more neck surgery. The Colts start out slow with a no nothing backup QB (which Polian failed to provide) and Peyton is shelved for the season. Now if Peyton played you know the Colts wouldv'e won 7-8 games regardless of how bad their defense played. They lost several close games in 2011. What are the chances that these events would take place in the one season for Indy when nothing like it had ever happened before in this era? If Peyon never had a neck injury he'd stillbe playing in Indy, they'd still be pretty good and Luck would be playing for Cleveland or whatever. Now Indy is set up for another 10-12 years of success. Am I jealous? you bet i am.

Yes Luck is awesome. So is Gabbert. Oh wait. No, he isn't. Remember the hype on him? How many folks wanted him here? Or how about Justin Blackmon? He's lighting up the NFL, ain't he? Another can't-miss blue chipper. <_<

For every Luck, there are 2-3 Gabberts, Losmans, and Blackmons. The draft is a gamble in any round.

PTR

So what is your point? Don't draft a qb or for any other position because there is a good possibility that the pick won't work out? When drafting there certainly are no guarantees of success. Sometimes you get lucky with your draft position and the odds of selecting an upper tier prospect such as Luck and RG III make it likely that your pick work out. And sometimes good scouting can get you a prospect at a lower round such as Wilson who may or may in the long run work out.

Not every high round qb pick in the draft is going to be an all-pro. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a reasonable supply of franchise qb prospects that will give your team a reasonable chance to compete. Two years ago Buddy Nix had the opportunity to draft Dalton in the second round. Instead, he bypassed him and took a CB, Aaron Williams, Is Dalton going to be a dominant qb? No. But in my view he is a legitimate franchise qb. Without a doubt he is a major upgrade from the qb we currently have. GMs who make good decisions and take some calculated risks in the draft are usually successful. Nix had an opportunity to address the qb need when Dalton was on the board. He didn't seize the opportunity; he set this franchise back.

The Bills are idiots ( so are many other teams, to be fair). Everyone had a chance to get Luck and we'd be set for the next 15 years. Instead we decided to go 6-10 instead. Idiots.

i guess your suggesting to intentionally lose.....which given the amount of coaching, front office and player jobs on the line and the money that goes with those jobs.....who would actually try to lose ?....that is near impossible....

do you think any of those colt players or coaches were trying to lose?...heck, they won 2 of their last 3 games....

do you think any of those colt players or coaches were trying to lose?...heck, they won 2 of their last 3 games....

They were absolutely trying to lose. They thought that Manning was done for his career and realized that they had a second chance at a once in a lifetime QB. They only won two of the last three games when they new that their draft positon was safe.

Andrew Luck is a once in a decade type player...a surefire can't miss QB....the likes of Peyton Manning and John Elway.

heck, no one knew Brady, Brees or Rodgers were gonna be elite.....

the fact that the Colts wind up with two of those is just plain Luck.

Edited by papazoid

1) Bill Polian is a genius. He built a one man team that went 2-14 without that one man and got in the position to draft the best QB prospect since Manning, who Polian got to draft with the #1 overall pick.

2) The new Colts is now a genius because he got to draft Andrew Luck.

3) Once again, it is better to be lucky than good in the NFL. The Bills have been bad drafters but most importantly, they haven't been lucky.

I don't recall anyone wanting Gabbert, other than Todd McShay.

Blackmon is good, but he can't throw himself the ball.

And that is why you don't draft a QB for the sake of saying you draft a QB. There was nothing special about Gabbert except he looked like he could play a QB in a movie.

I want a legit 1st round talent at QB badly. I also won't want to be stuck with guys like Losman, Sanchez, Ponder, or Gabbert for years because you can't give up on a 1st round QB too early.

i guess your suggesting to intentionally lose.....which given the amount of coaching, front office and player jobs on the line and the money that goes with those jobs.....who would actually try to lose ?....that is near impossible....

You don't have to have the coaches and players intentionally lose. You can just trade away a few key players for draft picks. For example, Fitz sucks but he's not as bad as Curtis Painter. Fitz is a 6-10 QB, which is basically the worst kind you can be. No high draft pick, no playoffs. The worst situation. We should've cut him or traded him away for a 7th-rounder (or whatever his value is) and then started at QB our version of Curtis Painter. Do the same with a few other key positions, and we probably have a 90% chance at Luck. Nothing is guaranteed in life (maybe out team of scrubs put together two wins despite all this) but we didn't even TRY to get Luck. Again, lots of other bad teams didn't try either, but I don't take any solace in not being another lemming.

You don't have to have the coaches and players intentionally lose. You can just trade away a few key players for draft picks. For example, Fitz sucks but he's not as bad as Curtis Painter. Fitz is a 6-10 QB, which is basically the worst kind you can be. No high draft pick, no playoffs. The worst situation. We should've cut him or traded him away for a 7th-rounder (or whatever his value is) and then started at QB our version of Curtis Painter. Do the same with a few other key positions, and we probably have a 90% chance at Luck. Nothing is guaranteed in life (maybe out team of scrubs put together two wins despite all this) but we didn't even TRY to get Luck. Again, lots of other bad teams didn't try either, but I don't take any solace in not being another lemming.

I'm not going to say Fitz sucks but you're right about him being just good enough to cost you a high draft pick. If only we would have kept Levi Brown or started Thigpen. We'd be watching Luck or RG3 play for us.

Andrew Luck is a once in a decade type player...a surefire can't miss QB....the likes of Peyton Manning and John Elway.

heck, no one knew Brady, Brees or Rodgers were gonna be elite.....

the fact that the Colts wind up with two of those is just plain Luck.

Actually they got all 3. Elway just refused to come to them. Maybe there is something to be said about that horseshoe on their helmet...

I still wish we went 0-16 last year. We would be so so so much closer to the playoffs with him on the roster. In fact, we would make them this year with Luck.

No way in hell Luck gets this Bills team to the playoffs this year. Have you seen the Bills D? Do people really think that a good young QB is the magical elixir to cure all ills?

That being said, yeah, I wish we had Luck too. Guy is going to be a stud. It's frustrating to see teams like Indy and GB go from having one great QB and immediately transitioning to having another while the Bills have floundered for 20 years trying to find Kelly's replacement.

snapback.pngsection122, on 09 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Actually they got all 3. Elway just refused to come to them. Maybe there is something to be said about that horseshoe on their helmet...

Just a matter of time before Luck ends up in Denver.

good stuff....

Yes Luck is awesome. So is Gabbert. Oh wait. No, he isn't. Remember the hype on him? How many folks wanted him here? Or how about Justin Blackmon? He's lighting up the NFL, ain't he? Another can't-miss blue chipper. <_<

For every Luck, there are 2-3 Gabberts, Losmans, and Blackmons. The draft is a gamble in any round.

PTR

I was one of the ones who really liked Gabbert. Wasn't that sold on Blackmon though.

Its starting to get disheartening when we have entire drafts that don't produce even ONE great QB. Watching guys like Cam Newton and Vince Young that look so dominant in college come to the NFL and lose their touch.

Then there are the guys like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees who are elite throwers and were there in the mid to late round to be scooped up.

There are a few historical exceptions, but if you have an average QB (or worse) you're not going to win a championship.

The Colts are so lucky to be in the position they're in.

Just a matter of time before Luck ends up in Denver.

:w00t:

I hadn't even thought of that! :beer:

No way in hell Luck gets this Bills team to the playoffs this year. Have you seen the Bills D? Do people really think that a good young QB is the magical elixir to cure all ills?

That being said, yeah, I wish we had Luck too. Guy is going to be a stud. It's frustrating to see teams like Indy and GB go from having one great QB and immediately transitioning to having another while the Bills have floundered for 20 years trying to find Kelly's replacement.

Actually I am in the class of a great QB can mask many deficiencies of a d. So yeah I think he would help out more than a little bit. The D would still be a mess but the O would control the ball and clock allowing less opportunities. Also don't discount the D being more hyped when they are hopeful that the O won't just go 3 and out. Teams need to feel like the other side of the ball has a chance of success to thrive.

So what is your point? Don't draft a qb or for any other position because there is a good possibility that the pick won't work out? When drafting there certainly are no guarantees of success. Sometimes you get lucky with your draft position and the odds of selecting an upper tier prospect such as Luck and RG III make it likely that your pick work out. And sometimes good scouting can get you a prospect at a lower round such as Wilson who may or may in the long run work out.

Not every high round qb pick in the draft is going to be an all-pro. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a reasonable supply of franchise qb prospects that will give your team a reasonable chance to compete. Two years ago Buddy Nix had the opportunity to draft Dalton in the second round. Instead, he bypassed him and took a CB, Aaron Williams, Is Dalton going to be a dominant qb? No. But in my view he is a legitimate franchise qb. Without a doubt he is a major upgrade from the qb we currently have. GMs who make good decisions and take some calculated risks in the draft are usually successful. Nix had an opportunity to address the qb need when Dalton was on the board. He didn't seize the opportunity; he set this franchise back.

Maybe the point is what he wrote:

One more thing, You wrote:

Two years ago Buddy Nix had the opportunity to draft Dalton in the second round. Instead, he bypassed him and took a CB, Aaron Williams, Is Dalton going to be a dominant qb? No.
Buddy has said repeatedly that he won't waste a high pick on a Qb that he doesn't see as an elite/dominant QB just to draft one( before someone asks,I don't have a link). Personally I'm ok with us not drafting Dalton. Now, this draft we should make any trade needed to get that QB within reason.

Dalton looks pretty good - I would MUCH rather have him that Fitz. I mean, by a WIDE WIDE margin.

Everyone knows that young QBs don't always work out - but also sometimes they DO work out!

All I want is a reason to have some hope and enthusiasm again.

You can jealous of the Colts all you want but our coaching staff would have ruined him.

This---^

Just like Juron ruined Trent

Just like Juron and Mularkey ruined JP

Just like Wade ruined RJ and then couldn't get it right with him and the Midget.