Bill Polian on what it takes to win

Why no mention of the other two items Polian listed? Your focus seems to be entirely on the aspect of a game-managing QB.

Fitz IS a game managing QB. No doubt about that. But I submit our defense and it's utter lack of being able to get off the field consistently, especially at critical junctures in games, gives Fitz ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Few QBs are good enough to have to operate with no room for error, let alone someone with marginal talent to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

You are a huge Fitz apologist in many of your posts. Stop it already..The guy STINKS, plain and simple..He can not, and will not throw the ball more than ten yards past the line of scrimmage. What QB throws a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 more than Fitz? Noone in the league..He is constantly throwing the underneath garbage. In today's NFL you have to stretch the field vertically to consistently move the chains and score points. Did you watch Matt Ryan last nite for the Falcons? Unless he is throwing a called screen pass, everything he throws is downfield at least 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. I can not understand a QB who does not WANT to throw down the field. That is supposed to be what QB's do. They air it out. (My 13 year old son who plays on a very strong 8th grade middle school team in the Atlanta area has better accuracy than Fitz on balls thrown 30-40 yards down the field. And his O line was pretty much garbage all year, but he threw DOWN FIELD every game.)

More than his inability to throw down the field is the lack of leadership and energy he is bringing to the team. He simply is not making plays that win games. Everyone is all excited about how he played against the Titans. He dumped off to CJ and Fred, and hit Stevie with several underneath passes, as he always does. Than late in the game, he brutally underthrows the ball down the rt sideline for I believe Donald Jones and it is picked, and we know what happened than. And after the Titans score, 1:03 left and TWO TIMEOUTS on our own 20. We just need a field goal to win. Fitzie could not even get a first down. That is ridiculous. My 13 year old would have given us a better chance to kick a field goal there. He just does not have the skills to win games at the NFL level against any team but the worst the NFL has to offer. When was the last two minute drive he led us to victory? I would rather have J P Losman than Fitz in the last two minutes. And look at his demeanor. When does he ever get excited? When is he in his teammates faces, or at least explaining what they need to be doing? He looks like a beaten man, who KNOWS he can't play. He is not the leader that this team needs to turn this mess of an organization around.

And sure our Defense has been very poor this year. But I submit that Fitzie has brought the D down. They all know he aint going to get it done. These guys are professionals. They know who has talent. And they know that Fitz does not have it. And he never will. We stopped the Texans on several occasions yesterday, only to have Fitz not get it done. His whole game right now is throwing passes to the sidelines parallel to the line of scrimmage. His game has gone drastically down hill since his first year starting. He is no longer a gunslinger. He has been muted into a cap gun.

Remember the Bills-Ravens game in 2010. He was a completely different QB. He was winging it everywhere. Sure he missed a few. But the guy at least was willing to let it rip. Now he looks totally unsure of what to do if the 5-8 yard slant or dump off is not there. On several occasions yesterday after escaping pressure, he would NOT throw the ball downfield. Instead he held on to the ball, tried to make a few yards, and got tackled. He is AFRAID to take a chance any longer. Everyone on the team knows that. He is DONE!! So stop saying it is not his fault. He is the QB..Sure, our D is terrible. But Fitz is equally as terrible, and has NO UP SIDE!! At least with somechanges on defense, including a new D Coordinator, we should improve. If not this year, than under a new regime..

This is all you need to know. With Fitzie starting the last 17 games, we are 4-13 with wins over Denver last Christmas Eve (Tebow turned it over 4 times, two for TD's) and horrible KC and Cleveland teams, and than over Arizona in a game that Fitz did absolutely nothing. Watch the NFL my friend...With as good an O line as we have, Fitz is a bad as it gets as a starting QB in the NFL.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a huge Fitz apologist in many of your posts. Stop it already..The guy STINKS, plain and simple..He can not, and will not throw the ball more than ten yards past the line of scrimmage. What QB throws a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 more than Fitz? Noone in the league..He is constantly throwing the underneath garbage. In today's NFL you have to stretch the field vertically to consistently move the chains and score points. Did you watch Matt Ryan last nite for the Falcons? Unless he is throwing a called screen pass, everything he throws is downfield at least 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. I can not understand a QB who does not WANT to throw down the field. That is supposed to be what QB's do. They air it out. (My 13 year old son who plays on a very strong 8th grade middle school team in the Atlanta area has better accuracy than Fitz on balls thrown 30-40 yards down the field. And his O line was pretty much garbage all year, but he threw DOWN FIELD every game.)

More than his inability to throw down the field is the lack of leadership and energy he is bringing to the team. He simply is not making plays that win games. Everyone is all excited about how he played against the Titans. He dumped off to CJ and Fred, and hit Stevie with several underneath passes, as he always does. Than late in the game, he brutally underthrows the ball down the rt sideline for I believe Donald Jones and it is picked, and we know what happened than. And after the Titans score, 1:03 left and TWO TIMEOUTS on our own 20. We just need a field goal to win. Fitzie could not even get a first down. That is ridiculous. My 13 year old would have given us a better chance to kick a field goal there. He just does not have the skills to win games at the NFL level against any team but the worst the NFL has to offer. When was the last two minute drive he led us to victory? I would rather have J P Losman than Fitz in the last two minutes. And look at his demeanor. When does he ever get excited? When is he in his teammates faces, or at least explaining what they need to be doing? He looks like a beaten man, who KNOWS he can't play. He is not the leader that this team needs to turn this mess of an organization around.

And sure our Defense has been very poor this year. But I submit that Fitzie has brought the D down. They all know he aint going to get it done. These guys are professionals. They know who has talent. And they know that Fitz does not have it. And he never will. We stopped the Texans on several occasions yesterday, only to have Fitz not get it done. His whole game right now is throwing passes to the sidelines parallel to the line of scrimmage. His game has gone drastically down hill since his first year starting. He is no longer a gunslinger. He has been muted into a cap gun.

Remember the Bills-Ravens game in 2010. He was a completely different QB. He was winging it everywhere. Sure he missed a few. But the guy at least was willing to let it rip. Now he looks totally unsure of what to do if the 5-8 yard slant or dump off is not there. On several occasions yesterday after escaping pressure, he would NOT throw the ball downfield. Instead he held on to the ball, tried to make a few yards, and got tackled. He is AFRAID to take a chance any longer. Everyone on the team knows that. He is DONE!! So stop saying it is not his fault. He is the QB..Sure, our D is terrible. But Fitz is equally as terrible, and has NO UP SIDE!! At least with somechanges on defense, including a new D Coordinator, we should improve. If not this year, than under a new regime..

This is all you need to know. With Fitzie starting the last 17 games, we are 4-13 with wins over Denver last Christmas Eve (Tebow turned it over 4 times, two for TD's) and horrible KC and Cleveland teams, and than over Arizona in a game that Fitz did absolutely nothing. Watch the NFL my friend...With as good an O line as we have, Fitz is a bad as it gets as a starting QB in the NFL.

That's just not true.

And aside from the fact that I agree with many of your points, your response to my post in this thread doesn't address what I asked the OP to address; #2 on Polian's list.

I'll forgive your condescending admonition to "watch the NFL my friend." You don't know who you're talking to here.

GO BILLS!!!

While I don't necessarily disagree, the problem is there are only about a dozen QB's who aren't in group 2. So who should the other 20 teams then use for a starting QB since you point out they shouldn't be starting. That's the problem, there aren't 32 good starting QB's in the league, and the odds of finding that true franchise QB are low, much less than 50/50. So many teams in the league have the same problem as the Bill's, they try someone for a couple years it doesn't work, so then they start over with another one, until he fails, by that time the rest of the guys you've signed over past few years have got old, and/or contracts are up, so you end up totally rebuilding, not just QB, but the entire roster. That's why the Bill's went with Fitz as they realize the odds of them finding that magical guy are low. Did they expect to win with Fitz playing as poor as he is right now, I'm sure not, but were hoping that he'd improve from what you saw last year as it beat the alternative, playing "As the QB Turns"! It's not a problem unique to Buffalo due to having a weak front office, there are many teams with highly thought of front offices who've gone through same repeated cycles.

If Polian truly does stand by that statement, he should have added and unless you're one of the temas that gets lucky and finds that great QB, you're team is screwed.

Those who fall into group 2 suck. There is no point in them starting in the NFL because they give you zero hope. It is impossible to win a SB with them. There is no in-between. Fitzpatrick falls into Group 2.

PS, my very first sentence in the post admits that he didn't say that.

Your brain?

Quit wasting time with Nix and bring in Polian while he is still available.

Nix can't draft, he grossly mismanages funds, and he doesn't know how to build a roster. He's a 70+ yr old neophyte. Get him outtahere!!!

He's feeling his way in the dark with your money Ralph!!!

Polian will know whom to hire and whom to fire. He will bring in a smart HC who can relate to the players and who will in turn hire quality assisitants. He will go after a franchise QB as a top priority because he knows that you can't compete against the teams in the NFL who have one (i.e. the Patriots) if you don't have one.

He will build a strong, dominating defense.

Give Polian the keys. Show Nix the door. I can't make it any simpler for you than that.

How has Nix grossly mismanaged funds?

Take a look at Indy's cap number for this year and let me know how Polian is with the cap

Who cares look at the team he left them with. He built them for the future and he does it wherever he goes. In Canada, In Buffalo, In Carolina, and in Indy. Nix is a hack and Gailey is a dumb hick who has no business coaching in the NFL

Who cares look at the team he left them with. He built them for the future and he does it wherever he goes. In Canada, In Buffalo, In Carolina, and in Indy. Nix is a hack and Gailey is a dumb hick who has no business coaching in the NFL

The team he left them with was 1-15 and in cap purgatory, same with the Panthers when he left them.

The team he left them with was 1-15 and in cap purgatory, same with the Panthers when he left them.

They were 1-15 because Peyton went down and the team crumbled. It was Polian who was active in getting Luck to replace Manning and rebuild after Payton's injury. Cap purgatory, does it matter when your club consistently wins? As far as the Panther's he put people in place that were fruitful during and after he was gone, again job well done. Money matter's but not as much as when your winning. Sorry but your wrong on Polian (his body of work is incredible).

Bringing marv back worked out great...only set the franchise back 5 years

Marv was a coach not a GM, Polian is a GM. Period.

Edited by 7boogiewoogie

Bills fans who think Nix is the answer deserve what they get. And what they're getting is a team that has become an embarrassment (i.e. a big fat helping of steaming sh-t). How does it taste Buffalo?? How much more can you take Buffalo???

Nix can't build an NFL team anymore than the laugh riot that is "DrinkTHEKoolaid".

Nobody suggested bringing back Levy, Buttmunch.

BTW, W. Phillips was actually the last Bills HC who actually had a winning record (and YOU are mocking HIM). If Ralph would not have forced Phillips to play Rob "just duck every time you drop back to pass" Johnson over D. Flutie, Phillips might have actually led the Bills to a Super Bowl.

Seriously though, believe it or not there is actually a guy who is available who has the experience, the connections, and the know how to get the Bills to leave behind their embarrassing ways and get back to the playoffs/Super Bowl. And you'll never believe this, this guy actually likes Buffalo and would probably be willing to be their next GM if given the opportunity (imagine that).

Buffalo Bills fans meet William Q. Polian........for the second time................the answer to your prayers.

Bringing marv back worked out great...only set the franchise back 5 years

Exactly...Enough already...

Though I do think Polian and Polian Jr would be better than Buddy...I will say that much...But I've never been a big Buddy guy... B-)

Bills fans who think Nix is the answer deserve what they get. And what they're getting is a team that has become an embarrassment (i.e. a big fat helping of steaming sh-t). How does it taste Buffalo?? How much more can you take Buffalo???

Nix can't build an NFL team anymore than the laugh riot that is "DrinkTHEKoolaid".

Nobody suggested bringing back Levy, Buttmunch.

BTW, W. Phillips was actually the last Bills HC who actually had a winning record (and YOU are mocking HIM). If Ralph would not have forced Phillips to play Rob "just duck every time you drop back to pass" Johnson over D. Flutie, Phillips might have actually led the Bills to a Super Bowl.

Seriously though, believe it or not there is actually a guy who is available who has the experience, the connections, and the know how to get the Bills to leave behind their embarrassing ways and get back to the playoffs/Super Bowl. And you'll never believe this, this guy actually likes Buffalo and would probably be willing to be their next GM if given the opportunity (imagine that).

Buffalo Bills fans meet William Q. Polian........for the second time................the answer to your prayers.

You mean for his entire stint with the Bills right? Because the last coach who had a winning season with the Bills was the much maligned Mularkey.