Bill Polian on what it takes to win

Put Brees on this tam and we are 9-4, talking about who we will be playing in the Playoffs.

Oh yeah, no doubt that is true. But you weren't talking about playoffs, you were talking superbowl. Brees is great and all, but no way does he win a superbowl with these coaches, this defense, and these receivers. Playoffs? oh yea, sure, you put a stud QB on this team, we are an instant playoff team. Maybe even an AFC championship appearence if lucky, but sorry, no super bowl win. Maybe you are more opptimistic than I am, but this team isn't good enough to have a stud QB and all of a sudden be ready to win a super bowl. This team needs a stud qb plus a lot of work to win a super bowl.

4 teams in the NFL kept the Jets to 10 points. 11 have not. Yet its a sin for us too?

A sin is an exageration on my part, but that is where the advantage was, and that is where the battle should have been won. The bills were going up against a terrible offense and an average (at worst) defense, and both our offense and our defense sucked. So even though they both sucked, I give more blame to the defense because they were up against a much less talented unit.

I also like how you conveniently mentioned Revis interception but didn't talk about Fitzpatricks other 3 interceptions or fumbles.

I also didn't talk about how special teams gave up a TD. Doesn't mean much, because the whole team sucked that game. Can't put the blame on one player (or even one unit) alone.

And if you want to think that fitz fumbled/intercepted the ball four times, I guess you are more than welcome to think that. But the facts say you are wrong, and you are seriously stretching the truth there. I remember that game well, despite how much I drank, and I know there were 4 turnovers in that game, and at least one of those was a spiller fumble. So I am pretty sure 3 turnovers were actually credited to fitz. Maybe there were 5 turnovers and I am remembering wrong, but I am pretty positive 4 turnovers, and one was a spiller fumble. But if you are using false stats to back up your claim, then that is sad.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson... Weren't these all pedestrian or game manager type QBs that either won or went to Superbowls in relatively recent times? Your premise that you cannot be a successful team without an elite QB seems to be a bit off.

Recent times ? I don't think any of these guys qualify as QBs who played in recent times. Phil Sims & Jeff Hostetler - try ancient times.

The ignorant fan thinks that there are varying degrees to an NFL QB. But there is not. There are two types of QBs:

1 - Those who have the talent and ability to be able to win a Super Bowl

2 - Those who don't.

Those who fall into group 2 suck.

In group 2 we have Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and Warren Moon. They suck, that's why they're in the Hall of Fame I guess.

I would say fitz looked better than the defense against the Jests. The jests have a terrible offense. They arguably have a worse QB than Fitz, a worse running game than the bills, and a worse recieving group than the bills, yet they tore our defense apart. Hell, their only good thing on offense was their oline, and they had a scrub starting at RT, and the defense couldn't take advantage of it! Fitz throwing an interception to the best CB in the game? hell, I expected that.... but this jests offense is a joke. Allowing them to score more than 10 points on us, turnover or not, was a sin.

]

I have read people say "Ftiz would be fine if...." like early last year..... but I never heard anyone mention "Fitz" and "super bowl" in the same sentence on this board until this thread. I thought it was pretty widespread and common opinion here that if we couldn't win a super bowl with kelly, we couldn't win one with Fitz. But I have read people say that we could win/get to the playoffs with Fitz.... but super bowl? we may have some optimistic fans here that can be delusional, but I can't recall one post where someone looked at Fitz's performance and typed "superbowl!" without being sarcastic.

The thing is, stating that fitz can't get us to the super bowl is basically stating the obvious, and I don't think anyone here would argue fitz has what it takes to win a super bowl..... but over they years, Bills fans have lowered expectations so much, that just making the playoffs would be satisfying.... which is sad.

But this whole thread is just stating the obvious about fitz. This team is still a mess, even with a franchise QB. Our playcalling on both sides of the ball is more than questionable, our linebackers are a liability, our QB is without a doubt a bottom 10 QB, our receivers are underwelming, and our corners are either inexperienced or outright suck..... This team is more than just a QB away from being a superbowl team. We can argue that most of the losses are either on fitz or the defense.... but we are arguing regular season games. You want to talk about winning a superbowl? It is more than just the QB that would have to change.... worst part is, I don't see coaching getting any better until there is new ownership. Any coach better than Chan won't come here in fear of Ralph's passing and new ownership coming in and just firing everyone in sight.

But if feels this thread is trying to make the argument that put eli manning or drew brews on this team, and all of a sudden we are on our way to the super bowl, and I am sorry, that is not the case. As important as a QB is, and how much the bills need one, the bills are not a good enough team to be just one player away from being a super bowl contender.

> But if feels this thread is trying to make the argument that put eli manning or drew brews on this team, and

> all of a sudden we are on our way to the super bowl, and I am sorry, that is not the case.

I do not recall anyone in this thread having made the above argument. Instead, LiterateStylish's argument is that the Bills' first, second, and third priority this off-season should be to obtain a long-term answer at QB. The kind of QB capable of leading his team to a Super Bowl win; assuming the players around him are sufficiently talented.

Yes, the Bills are more than just a player away from being a Super Bowl winner. I realize that, LiterateStylish realizes that. I think just about everyone realizes that. But the Bills are more than just one off-season away from having a Super Bowl champion. So why not get the most valuable, most difficult-to-obtain piece added now, this coming off-season, so you won't have to worry about it later? With a franchise quarterback on board, with improvement from some younger players already on the roster, and with a few judicious additions in future off-seasons, this could be a team to be reckoned with!