Bill Polian on what it takes to win

Ok, he didn't say that. But he might as well have. In a recent ESPN article, Polian listed the 3 things a team can't have and expect to go to a Super Bowl.

1) A game manager at QB (most important)

2) A defense that can't get off the field on third down.

3) A pedestrian RB.

In other words, having a game manager at QB is like spinning your wheels. Its useless. Every season you have one, you're wasting a year. Translation: having Fitzpatrick at QB is like spinning your wheels. Having Fitzpatrick as the starting QB is like wasting a season.

The Bills need to spend the off-season getting a franchise QB. Whether they need to trade all of their draft picks away, or Mario Williams, or Jairus Byrd, or Kyle Williams or whoever. I don't care and they shouldn't either. It is much easier to replace a DT or Safety or DE than it is to replace a franchise QB.

As of now, the Bills number one reason for existence should be to find a franchise QB. THEN worry about your other pieces. This has gone on way too long. The "other" way has not worked. Whats the definition of insanity again Einstein?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite the leap to take. "Bill Polian says you can't win the Super Bowl with a "game manager" QB. Ergo, Bill Polian just said Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks".

Don't get me wrong, he does suck. But I was really hoping this post had Bill Polian specifically calling out Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not even close. Very misleading topic title.

That's quite the leap to take. "Bill Polian says you can't win the Super Bowl with a "game manager" QB. Ergo, Bill Polian just said Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks".

Don't get me wrong, he does suck. But I was really hoping this post had Bill Polian specifically calling out Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not even close. Very misleading topic title.

It's not a leap at all. I understand why you would think it would be though.

The ignorant fan thinks that there are varying degrees to an NFL QB. But there is not. There are two types of QBs:

1 - Those who have the talent and ability to be able to win a Super Bowl

2 - Those who don't.

Those who fall into group 2 suck. There is no point in them starting in the NFL because they give you zero hope. It is impossible to win a SB with them. There is no in-between. Fitzpatrick falls into Group 2.

PS, my very first sentence in the post admits that he didn't say that.

Weak.

Your brain?

Edited by LiterateStylish

The ignorant fan thinks that there are varying degrees to an NFL QB. But there is not. There are two types of QBs:

2 - Those who don't.

Those who fall into group 2 suck. There is no point in them starting in the NFL because they give you zero hope. It is impossible to win a SB with them. There is no in-between. Fitzpatrick falls into Group 2.

Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson... Weren't these all pedestrian or game manager type QBs that either won or went to Superbowls in relatively recent times? Your premise that you cannot be a successful team without an elite QB seems to be a bit off.

Ok, he didn't say that. But he might as well have. In a recent ESPN article, Polian listed the 3 things a team can't have and expect to go to a Super Bowl.

1) A game manager at QB (most important)

2) A defense that can't get off the field on third down.

3) A pedestrian RB.

The Patriots had number 2 and 3 last year and they went 13-3 and went to the Superbowl.

I thought Fitz didn't play that bad. Chandler dropped how many? Poor planning left him open to a hard rush. He had an open back field most of the second half and the "D" knew it was a pass. We put alot of stuff on him when its a team problem. Stevie was dinged the first half. Where was Jones? These guys have a hard time getting open and we blame Fitz. I thought the play calling was terrible. We never seem to adjust the plan the second half. Maybe we need a offensive play caller other than the coach. Never approved of the coach calling the plays.

Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson... Weren't these all pedestrian or game manager type QBs that either won or went to Superbowls in relatively recent times? Your premise that you cannot be a successful team without an elite QB seems to be a bit off.

Exception to the rule.

There are those who have gotten in accidents going 100mph and lived. How good do you think your chances are if that were to happen?

The Patriots had number 2 and 3 last year and they went 13-3 and went to the Superbowl.

You have to take that up with Polian.

I thought Fitz didn't play that bad. Chandler dropped how many? Poor planning left him open to a hard rush. He had an open back field most of the second half and the "D" knew it was a pass. We put alot of stuff on him when its a team problem. Stevie was dinged the first half. Where was Jones? These guys have a hard time getting open and we blame Fitz. I thought the play calling was terrible. We never seem to adjust the plan the second half. Maybe we need a offensive play caller other than the coach. Never approved of the coach calling the plays.

This has nothing to do with one game. Or even two. This has to do with Fitzpatrick as a QB. He is category two all of thew ay.

A bait and switch followed by an awful extrapolation, capped with a misattributed quotation. Well done.

Edited by Beerball

Why no mention of the other two items Polian listed? Your focus seems to be entirely on the aspect of a game-managing QB.

Fitz IS a game managing QB. No doubt about that. But I submit our defense and it's utter lack of being able to get off the field consistently, especially at critical junctures in games, gives Fitz ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Few QBs are good enough to have to operate with no room for error, let alone someone with marginal talent to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

Why no mention of the other two items Polian listed? Your focus seems to be entirely on the aspect of a game-managing QB.

Fitz IS a game managing QB. No doubt about that. But I submit our defense and it's utter lack of being able to get off the field consistently, especially at critical junctures in games, gives Fitz ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Few QBs are good enough to have to operate with no room for error, let alone someone with marginal talent to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

Fitz scoring 9 points gives our defense no room for error.

Fitz scoring 9 points gives our defense no room for error.

Are we going to debate just the Houston game here?

Fitz scoring 34 points gives our defense no room for error either, I guess. And that's just the latest example.

But if you want to think that Joe Montana in his prime would be a SB winning QB with this same defense, don't let me stop you.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Chandler dropped two passes, which I am hoping is just an aberration, because he is usually reliable.

Yes it is a team problem. However the defense played good enough to win. Meanwhile the offense failed to get in the end zone.

Jones caught 5 or 6 passes yesterday, so he stepped up.

You are dead on about the play calling. It is terrible. We must have a balanced attack on offense in order to win. Fitzpatrick is limited in his abilities as a QB, and Gailey should know this. We should not be relying solely on Fitzpatrick to win for us.

Not so recent and only Rex in the current incarnation of the league.

2 - Those who don't.

Your brain?

Me thinks, The Bills owner and his 3 sidekicks have ZERO interest in winning a superbowl. Putting butts in the seats is goal 1.

In fact their only goal almost 53 years of garbage proves the point.

Also, As much as I admire Polian. Now that he's simply one of many paid ESPN bobbleheads, for the most part his opinions are meaningless. He is not GM of anyone, fact is no one has even been offered him a NFL gig. ESPN loves to sell them some commercials. You know the people that pay Polians salary.Take it for what its worth but NO employed GM would ever mention such asinine gibberish. And yea your thread title is misleading. Just my opinion. Take your shot oh literate one.