November Movies: Lincoln, Skyfall, Flight, & Wreck-It Ralph....

Mark Vader

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he passed away in 2007. And he wasn't really old in the 70s -- he was born in 1931, so was less than 50 in the 70s!

I was being facetious ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Had to bump this thread because I read yesterday that at the rate at which Skyfall is going, it may pass the Dark Knight Rises in worldwide gross. Does anybody besides me find this utterly fascinating ? TDKR was a huge hit, but had a lot of hoopla, anticipation, viral campaigns and 'last in the series' mojo that went with it. Skyfall, OTOH was not that kind of iconic picture and yet here we are:

TDKR worldwide: $1.08 billion

Skyfall (as of Nov. 18th): $669 million

Anyone seen "Life of Pi"?

It releases tomorrow, probably wide on Friday. Not sure if there were many preview shows for this movie.

SHould be very interesting because I have read the book and considered it very difficult to translate into a successful movie-going experience. Heck, there were many who thought the book itself was quite a frustrating read. It will be interesting what Ang Lee has done with the source material and how he used 3D to enhance the vastness and dread of being 'alone' at sea.

It releases tomorrow, probably wide on Friday. Not sure if there were many preview shows for this movie.

SHould be very interesting because I have read the book and considered it very difficult to translate into a successful movie-going experience. Heck, there were many who thought the book itself was quite a frustrating read. It will be interesting what Ang Lee has done with the source material and how he used 3D to enhance the vastness and dread of being 'alone' at sea.

It will be interesting to compare this alone at sea

vs Tom Hanks alone on the island in Castaways

with Wilson the soccer ball.

Had to bump this thread because I read yesterday that at the rate at which Skyfall is going, it may pass the Dark Knight Rises in worldwide gross. Does anybody besides me find this utterly fascinating ? TDKR was a huge hit, but had a lot of hoopla, anticipation, viral campaigns and 'last in the series' mojo that went with it. Skyfall, OTOH was not that kind of iconic picture and yet here we are:

TDKR worldwide: $1.08 billion

Skyfall (as of Nov. 18th): $669 million

My guess would be that James Bond has more international appeal than Batman, especially in Europe.

Also people are loving Daniel Craig as Bond. TDKR was a huge hit and had lots of hype, but the previous installment, "The Dark Knight", made more money. Nevertheless, TDKR did break the billion dollar mark, no small feat. Skyfall has apparently hit the same mark, being loved by fans & critics. Also Skyfall has yet to open in Japan & China. So it'll be interesting to see how high the ceiling is for this latest Bond flick.

So read this review and tell me if it sounds familiar. Based on commercials, never would have gone to this movie, now will prolly see this weekend sometime

http://www.grantland...rts-movie-years

After the Toronto film festival, people were buzzing about this film, some saying that it was an Oscar favorite. Director David O.Russell impressed many people with "The Fighter", and apparently he has hit the right chord with this movie too. Many people are saying great stuff about Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Lawrence, but there has also been great things said about Robert DeNiro as well.

So read this review and tell me if it sounds familiar. Based on commercials, never would have gone to this movie, now will prolly see this weekend sometime

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8656471/silver-linings-playbook-best-sports-movie-years

Just got home from this movie. Not a huge fan of rom coms, but I enjoyed this one a lot. Not too much of a rom com in the traditional sense. Plus looking at Jennifer Lawrence for two hours didn't hurt any either. Yum!

I saw "Flight" & "Lincoln" recently and here are my thoughts.

"Flight": This movie is all about Denzel Washington, who plays an unsympathetic character who performs an extremely heroic act. Many people like Washington in these types of roles and he excels in this movie. John Goodman, Don Cheadle, Bruce Greenwood & Melissa Leo all have important parts, but their roles are so small they are practically glorified cameos. Kelly Reilly also does a good job. The evils of drug and alcohol abuse is presented very strongly in this movie without becoming preachy. It's good to have Robert Zemeckis directing a live action film again. Overall this is a good movie, maybe not best picture material, but Washington delivers with a fine performance.

"Lincoln": Daniel Day-Lewis is extraordinary, what a surprise, but I'll get back to him. Steven Spielberg does a fine job with this historical biopic. Focusing on the final days of Lincoln and the attempt of passing the 13th amendment, the movie at times feels like a history lesson, yet it has a remarkable pace despite it's 2 hour 30 minute running time. The acting all around is very good. I know there is a lot of praise going to Tommy Lee Jones & Sally Field, but I would also like to add that David Straithairn is outstanding as William Seward, and there is also a couple of notable performances by Lee Pace & Peter McRobbie who play two of the outspoken Democrats who are in opposition of the amendment, and the very busy Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who appears in his fourth movie of the year, does a fine job as Lincoln's son Robert. Getting back to Day-Lewis, he gives a remarkable and very understated performance as Lincoln. He portrays Lincoln as strong, brilliant, desperate and exhausted. You can just feel how much of a toll the war has taken on him. No doubt this movie will get a best picture nomination and it is deserving. This is an outstanding film that never once feels boring, nor does it feel pretentious. Once again, Spielberg delivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw three films in the last couple of weeks: Lincoln, Life of Pi and Starlet.

Lincoln was very well done with some Disney, Spielberg hokiness. Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Fields were very good. The vocabulary, yes, the vocabulary, was very good! They used an older style of English so it helps to listen closely! Set designs and costumes will probably get nominated. I do wonder how much of this film was true. The film is based on a book by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin: Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.

As I stated in another thread Life of Pi was very good. Reading the book first is helpful. See the film in 3D!

Starlet was a very engaging film with a storyline that some may find distasteful. Indie / Art House films can get a little racy and this film does just that. The film was well done with a very good ending.

Saw "Wreck-It Ralph" a couple days ago.

Overall a funny movie, the nostalgiac video game characters as expected have cameo appearances instead of being integral to the story. While at times the jokes are sophomoric and the story seems typical, there are some good hilarious moments and the animation is great.

Somehow I think if Pixar had been fully involved in this movie it would have been great, but Disney on it's own here does a good job.

One big distraction I found was the character of Calhoun voiced by Jane Lynch. The big distraction was that the character was Jane Lynch. Looked exactly like her and seemed like she was just doing a comedy act. They couldn't have made her look like someone else? I just did not understand this.

Then the typical pop songs at the end of the credits which have nothing to do with the movie are just out of place & annoying. Except for the "Wreck-It Ralph" song by Buckner & Garcia.

Despite all of that, I enjoyed this movie very much. Check it out if you haven't.

Wreck it Ralph was ok, but it just felt lacking to me. Maybe it's the Pixar thing you mentioned. It could have been so much better, but for whatever reason, it just felt sluggish. I did enjoy all of the video game cameos though.

Wreck it Ralph was ok, but it just felt lacking to me. Maybe it's the Pixar thing you mentioned. It could have been so much better, but for whatever reason, it just felt sluggish. I did enjoy all of the video game cameos though.

The second half of the movie was better than the first half.

Saw "The sessions" at a local theater...they don't always have new releases so I don't know how new it is it's one of those "indie" theaters that shows off beat movies sometimes old and serves beer...but either way the movie is good

Saw pretty much everything out right now

Hobbit was ok but disappointing compared to any LOTR. Still cool to see though. Don't pay for 3D. Waste of money with this film.

Sky fall- awesome Bond flick. I was impressed. Action was great.

Taken2- not as good as first. Expected. Cool story line regardless. Similar but a bit different than the first.

End of Watch- Great movie. If you like training day you'll love this.

Rise of the Guardians- a really cool twist on holiday characters. Similar to a Shrek type movie. Lots of adult humor.

The Brad Pitt movie. Forgot the name it was so dumb. Don't waste your precious life watching this.

I've seen much more. I watch prolly 2+ new movies a week. If you've got a question about one. Ask me.

I've seen much more. I watch prolly 2+ new movies a week. If you've got a question about one. Ask me.

I remember those days. There was one weekend, from Friday night through Sunday night my friends and I saw 5 movies. One Friday, two each on Saturday and Sunday.