It took them 7 games, but THEY DID IT!! Worst D in NFL

San-O

This board is full of lame.

We wanted a big FA. Check

we wanted a known commodity coach. Check

We wanted to ditch Poz, Whitner and others as scapegoats. Check.

We let Takeo and London go, too old. Check.

We wanted proven high talent rookies in the draft for defense. Check

Now we aren't that good yet so people want to tear it down again. Look at Phili. Great talent. No team. Our team needs to gel, we need to win. We need confidence. Wanny may not be what we needed but he was what we wanted. (Cue a jackass saying no I wanted someone else).

This team is struggling, its no secret. Instead of taking the pathetic approach of saying there is a problem...explain it. How is Wanny not doing it right? Break it down. Give us details. We want to discuss football on this board not have threads of quote material. Create OC! God, threads like this are awful.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was interested in your post until you blamed everything on M. Williams... Let's say it was all his fault, they guy has 60 Million in Guaranteed money, if you are insinuating that they should cut him, that equates to football and financial retardation...

I was just asking what the situation was. What the options are. I liked the signing originally. Houston new what they were doing.

Re: what equates to football and financial retardation, I think there is enough of that at One Bills Drive right now.

I was just asking what the situation was. What the options are. I liked the signing originally. Houston new what they were doing.

Re: what equates to football and financial retardation, I think there is enough of that at One Bills Drive right now.

Yeah, I don't think it even matters what his cap hit is at this point, with the way his contract was structured, we basically already paid for this guy. He will be here for a while, only a trade could move him within the next few years.

Having said that, it's WAY too early to give up on him. I think the negative attention he has had is a little overblown, personally I think more time is needed before we can start judging him a failure. Certainly blame should be spread around evenly on defense, with an extra serving for Wanny...

Amazing

Glad you were one of the few who didn't buy into the hype.

But we already had a strong interior for a 4-3. We add Williams and sack machine Anderson, as well as a corner back draft pick that everyone was saying was the most NFL ready corner in the draft. Plus, we already had a strong safety core.

Don't think it was illogical to think this D line was going to be one of the best, and that the entire team was finally on the short path to respectability.

Also don't think it's bipolar for fans to express negativity. This D is on track to be one of the worst Ds of all time.

No one in their right mind is saying in seriousness we need to cut Mario.

Yup, I agree with everything you said. While I didn't expect a top 10 defense, I certainly didn't expect a defense this bad. I thought we would see more of an up and down type of season with such a young D, and new DC...But man, this is all down, still waiting for the "up"...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Ahh yes wash rinse and repeat. Fewell and Gilbride are terrible coaches right? Those super bowl rings suck right? Im pissed too this team should be sooooo much better. I want to see Gailey turn this around and I want to see improvement, I dont like the idea of starting over. It hasnt worked lately for us and i dont know who we will bring in thats better. Cowher isnt coming here

I have to ask, what do you propose the Bills do? I read three posts where you tell people they are wrong but dont propose a "hypothetical solution."

This team lacks accountability (publicly at least). The owner doesn't pressure the coaches. The coaches don't pressure the players. The players don't pressure each other. I would even add that the fans don't pressure the owner to a slight degree. Maybe the few older guys are so use to losing that they have developed a don't care attitude and it has spread throughout the team. To me the fish rots at the head first. Ralph needs to demand better!

Kudos to Kelsay for speaking up.

I definitely see your point. Just remember tho, no one really wants to come to buffalo.

We really need a no non-sense hc imo. Chan and wanny aren't going to cut it as long as they're here.

If we need to start over with coaching, I'm all for it. But we need kick ass coachings that also know how to develope players. Buffalo seriously lacks player developement. But I think the talent is there.

After Wilson fired Jauron there was big smack talk coming from somewhere in OBD that the team was willing to pay 10 million a year for a top coach. This is the sole reason the Buffalo Bills managed to even get Shanahan & Cowher to interview with the Buffalo Bills for the head coaching job. Both men left without a contract and the Bills end up hiring the man Bill Cowher stated he would hire as his OC.

Now between you and me I'm 100% positive that the powers in the FO / RW low balled (money wise) those two coaches that could have really improved the team. Gailey came soooo much cheaper then 10 mill, so did Nix for that matter. Then look at who is still the president of the Buffalo Bills. The Baltimore Ravens have Ozzie Newsome as president (who learned under Bill Belichick) The Indy Colts had Bill Polian as president. The Bills are in even worse shape then the Dallas Cowboys because Ralph Wilson is president and he sits in his home in Detroit and sees nothing for himself, at least JJ is there in person to watch practices, participate in player meetings and is a real hands on owner. BTW how is that working out for JJ vs the Ravens?

Now, the question is....is this owner finally ready to pony up the dough to hire Bill Cowher after this season? Or will they stay with the status quo and draft a rookie QB to keep the stadium filled? I gotta admit the Buffalo Bills have one of the very best marketing machines in the world to keep the stadium filled year after year with such a poor product on the field. I suppose it does help to have all that fear that the team will relocate if the fans stop buying tickets hanging over their heads.

I find it truly remarkable that so many devoted Bills fans keep buying tickets to an inferior product ...even in a deep recession. It really is a darn shame that devotion hasn't been reciprocated enough to hire a top head coach like Cowher

Oh well, guess we will just have to wait for the inevitable to happen and the team changes ownership. I can only hope the team stays in Buffalo, and we get an owner who doesn't depend on the team for his income

P.S. Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/19/mailbag/index.html

It's not as bad as it seems. This team is not as far off as some would suggest. Fire Wanny, pick up some depth at linebacker, and look at quarterbacks in the draft next year (yes fitz starts next year) and this team is in it for the long haul. Make no mistake this team is still rebuilding. Please no drastic decision making.

Its easier if we start by stating who is worth keeping around.

DL: KW, K moore and Carrington as backups

LBs: none

DB: Byrd, Gilmore and Brooks bc they are rookies. Rodgers as a Dime guy.

So we need 6 new starters in the front 7 and prob another two starts int eh D Backfield.

Thats not too bad....right....roght?

Now, the question is....is this owner finally ready to pony up the dough to hire Bill Cowher after this season?

P.S. Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

1) Cowher again? Anyone who thinks Cowher is giving up his well paid cushy network gig to coach in Buffalo for any amount of money needs to put down any sharp objects and seek counseling immediately.

2) Regarding your last point, sounds good except that Gailey hasn't won anything with or without star players,

3) While true, your tagline (about the 45-3 "romp") has to be one of the most depressing things I have seen here.

Well they've got the worst D in the league after 3 years of rebuilding, again. Obviously they have issues all over the place. They can't use the injury excuse.

Where do you start?

I start cutting/releasing some guys. You don't perform, see ya later.

Exactly. If we can lose with these guys, we can lose without them. Whats the diff? After 3 yrs of rebuilding, we have the 32nd ranked defense.

This board is full of lame.

We wanted a big FA. Check

we wanted a known commodity coach. Check

We wanted to ditch Poz, Whitner and others as scapegoats. Check.

We let Takeo and London go, too old. Check.

We wanted proven high talent rookies in the draft for defense. Check

Now we aren't that good yet so people want to tear it down again. Look at Phili. Great talent. No team. Our team needs to gel, we need to win. We need confidence. Wanny may not be what we needed but he was what we wanted. (Cue a jackass saying no I wanted someone else).

This team is struggling, its no secret. Instead of taking the pathetic approach of saying there is a problem...explain it. How is Wanny not doing it right? Break it down. Give us details. We want to discuss football on this board not have threads of quote material. Create OC! God, threads like this are awful.

You are correct sir!

However, unlike most...I still like the Mario signing.

Why I think it's not working out so far with Mario...is because...of the system!

True, Wannstedt is a known commodity...but, he he has tricked us all.

a) Wannstedt's scheme is outdated

b) Wannstedt hardly calls blitz packages

c) Wannstedt is out of touch with his players

d) Wannstedt and his defensive coaches hardly adjust their game plans when the Bills are down during the game

Edited by KollegeStudnet

To be fair, every year is year 1 with this franchise; Year 3, tops.

yea, but literally this is year one with a 43. swapping your front 7 is often a tough process as very few of the 7 starters can make it, and depth is even less likely to be capable of going both schemes.

it was dumb to change it twice, for sure. not trying to minimize that. but it is year one of the defensive rebuild at this point.