It took them 7 games, but THEY DID IT!! Worst D in NFL

San-O

1) Cowher again? Anyone who thinks Cowher is giving up his well paid cushy network gig to coach in Buffalo for any amount of money needs to put down any sharp objects and seek counseling immediately.

2) Regarding your last point, sounds good except that Gailey hasn't won anything with or without star players,

3) While true, your tagline (about the 45-3 "romp") has to be one of the most depressing things I have seen here.

At this point Bill Cowher might be about the only man who could probably save this drowning franchise. The big problem is this owner doesn't see things the same way the fans do. He is perfectly content as long as his stadium is filled and he is making a profit.

That last point wasn't mine, it was from the 2010 Peter King article I quoted. Tho you are right, 13-26 sucks, and proves he is a loser.

yep, it certainly is depressing reading it. I have that tagline so fans will remember just how bad this years team really is. Most fans delude themselves into thinking the Bills will win the next game or its not so bad. Bills fans have been so hammered the last 12 years that they quickly forget what actually happened during the season. That the head coach is totally clueless about what to do. That DB (Bills fans) mentality only works well for DB's in games :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really are no options. This team has to learn to play together, gel together, figure out what they are doing together. That's it.

Rookies have to grow up, leaders have to emerge, and the baggage has to be unloaded. The only way for that to happen is to get out on the field, get embarrassed, get punched in the mouth, and claw your way back. That is how you build character, and maturity as a defensive unit.

Cowher? He already said "NO". What makes you think his mind is going to change in 3 years. Face it Buffalo Bills fans, this franchise will not get a top flight coach.

There really are no options. This team has to learn to play together, gel together, figure out what they are doing together. That's it.

Rookies have to grow up, leaders have to emerge, and the baggage has to be unloaded. The only way for that to happen is to get out on the field, get embarrassed, get punched in the mouth, and claw your way back. That is how you build character, and maturity as a defensive unit.

Cowher? He already said "NO". What makes you think his mind is going to change in 3 years. Face it Buffalo Bills fans, this franchise will not get a top flight coach.

We have a top 3 defense!!!!!!!!

For over a decade everyone is complaining about the talent on the roster, yet the team changes coaches, GM's and still keeps losing.

Its not the players, its the coaches, the schemes, the GM. The Bills continue to hire cheap cast offs that no other team would even consider hiring, then this team promotes them and gives them a bunch of money

C'mon guys, Gailey was fired as OC at KC so suddenly he is head coaching material? Buddy Nix retires as chief scout so suddenly he is GM material? You get what you pay for in this life!

Think about one point for a sec, gailey / nix came in 2010 and changed 8 nobody's on the roster from the Jauron era and yet the team went 4-12., it got worse Jauron at least got them to 7-9 for 3 years So far Gailey is much worse then Jauron. :sick:

This failure will not stop until the fans make a stand and say they are not going to buy into a sub par product....then the Bills draft a rookie QB and the stands are filled again ( RW laughing all the way to the bank)

At the end of the off season hiring cycle we get the guys no one else wanted.

First off, noone can say Ralph hasn't spent the money, who on this defense is underpaid. These are estimates but Mario is at 16mil/yr, Anderson 8mil/yr, Kyle 7mil/yr, Darius 5mil/yr, Kelsay 6mil/yr. Maybe you could say Bryd but he will be due his money next year. Buffalo has handed out plenty of big contracts, the question is was the money spent on the proper players. Has Buffalo brought in the guys that fit the schemes and are the schemes relevant. Under Philips Buffalo had 3 top ten defenses with Washington/ Williams at anchor in a 3-4. Under Williams/Mularky/Gray we had two top 10 defenses with in the 4-3 with Sam Adams, Tim Anderson and Pat Williams. So under Jauron/Gailey/Edwards/Wandstat we have been sitting near the bottom with players like Tripplett, McCargo going to Darius/Williams. The real difference is linebackers. Going from guys like Cowart, Rogers, Perry, Northern to Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Crowell to Polusny and ? Is it a wonder our defenses are getting worse. Say what you want but I would take Hansen, Wiley and Schobel over Kelsay (problem isn't Kelsay), Williams and Anderson any day of the week. Our DT's are fine and would standup to the best of any of our past team defensive tackles except Smerlas. There is only one Freddie!!!!!! There is only one Bruce!!!!! There is only one Talley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honorable mentions to Bennett and Paup. This team needs better linebackers and better play out of the DE's. Also we need better DC, I would take Gray or Wade back as Head Coach/DC.

First off, noone can say Ralph hasn't spent the money, who on this defense is underpaid. These are estimates but Mario is at 16mil/yr, Anderson 8mil/yr, Kyle 7mil/yr, Darius 5mil/yr, Kelsay 6mil/yr. Maybe you could say Bryd but he will be due his money next year. Buffalo has handed out plenty of big contracts, the question is was the money spent on the proper players. Has Buffalo brought in the guys that fit the schemes and are the schemes relevant. Under Philips Buffalo had 3 top ten defenses with Washington/ Williams at anchor in a 3-4. Under Williams/Mularky/Gray we had two top 10 defenses with in the 4-3 with Sam Adams, Tim Anderson and Pat Williams. So under Jauron/Gailey/Edwards/Wandstat we have been sitting near the bottom with players like Tripplett, McCargo going to Darius/Williams. The real difference is linebackers. Going from guys like Cowart, Rogers, Perry, Northern to Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Crowell to Polusny and ? Is it a wonder our defenses are getting worse. Say what you want but I would take Hansen, Wiley and Schobel over Kelsay (problem isn't Kelsay), Williams and Anderson any day of the week. Our DT's are fine and would standup to the best of any of our past team defensive tackles except Smerlas. There is only one Freddie!!!!!! There is only one Bruce!!!!! There is only one Talley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honorable mentions to Bennett and Paup. This team needs better linebackers and better play out of the DE's. Also we need better DC, I would take Gray or Wade back as Head Coach/DC.

Like you pointed out, the Bills let some good players leave and tried to replace them with inferior, albeit cheaper players! The Bills had some good LBers, they chose to let them walk and bring in free agent / draft bums. Paying 100 million to a guy that has been invisible for the most part. Nobody here is stating Ralph has necessarily been cheap in paying players, its a matter of being smart with the money. Looking at the how the current defense is performing I'd say his money is not well spent.

I can for certain say that RW is sure as heck is the stingiest bastage on the face of the earth when it comes to paying head coaches, and GM's just look who he hired for the last 12 years. Like I stated earlier, after the Jauron firing the FO told the media that they would be willing to spend 10 million to hire the right head coach. Well that for sure didn't happen, and I can only conclude that 10 million was NEVER offered. Trust me, nothing even close to10 mill was ever offered as it would have gotten either Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher as HC in Buffalo. I read somewhere Chan Gailey is making peanuts compared to his peers, just the way Ralph Wilson likes it.

Bill Belichick $7.5 million Mike Shanahan $7 million Doc Rivers $7 million Jeff Fisher $7 million Pete Carroll $7 million Gregg Popovich $6 million Lovie Smith $6 million Ken Whisenhunt $5.8 million Mike Tomlin $5.8 million Andy Reid $5.5 million

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/719/bill-belichick-highest-paid-coach-again

" I can for certain say that RW is sure as heck is the stingiest bastage on the face of the earth when it comes to paying head coaches, and GM's just look who he hired for the last 12 years. Like I stated earlier, after the Jauron firing the FO told the media that they would be willing to spend 10 million to hire the right head coach. Well that for sure didn't happen, and I can only conclude that 10 million was NEVER offered. Trust me, nothing even close to10 mill was ever offered as it would have gotten either Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher as HC in Buffalo. I read somewhere Chan Gailey is making peanuts compared to his peers, just the way Ralph Wilson likes it.

Bill Belichick $7.5 million Mike Shanahan $7 million Doc Rivers $7 million Jeff Fisher $7 million Pete Carroll $7 million Gregg Popovich $6 million Lovie Smith $6 million Ken Whisenhunt $5.8 million Mike Tomlin $5.8 million Andy Reid $5.5 million "

RW had resigned Jauron for 3 years 9mil just before he was fired. RW had to pay this while paying Gailey at the same time. I think Gailey is around 1.5 - 2 mil/year. That puts RW's HC costs around 5 mil/yr, that is mis-spent money but not cheap. RW usually hires inexperienced head coaches but good Coordinators up and coming as HC's. Problem is the GM's haven't drafted good enough players. Donahue was making 5mil/yr to be President/GM. That is where the problem started and he had really good credentials coming in. Ralph then promoted Brandon, mistake and then hired Marv as GM, mistake. Nix is a good GM, he had to basically start over except for a dozen players. He was on track till he fired Edwards and replaced with Wanndstat (linebackers coach already). He hasn't done that in almost 10 years and then he was HC/DC for Miami and was marginal. If Nix is given time I think he can complete this job. I don't think Gailey can because he just won't commit to the run and help his defense out. With a great DC he doesn't need to be involved on that side of the ball, There are solutions to fix this without starting over. Trade for a Top 15 QB, ie... Rivers, Bradford or Romo. Hire a proven DC as Assistant HC/DC and keep Gailey or hire new HC/DC like Philips, Gray, Billick and bring in a up and coming OC that likes the run. Can draft linebackers and CB's. If healthy Anderson and Williams will be fine, draft their replacement 2 years down the line when you will need to pay Darius and Spiller. Good Luck!!!

Let's all just calm down a bit, draw a deep breath and understand that NOTHING is going to change as long as RW is the team's owner. Yes, we all owe RW a debt of gratitude for getting the team on its feet in the early innings, for keeping the team in Buffalo, etc. Times have changed, RW hasn't in terms of the Bills; it's not 1970 any longer. So, Bills fans, have a seat, wait for it...new ownership is on the horizon and rearranging the deck chairs may occupy your minds, but there will be no substantive change until the ownership mantle passes to someone else.

+1 Also Wanny is the problem, not the players.

RW had resigned Jauron for 3 years 9mil just before he was fired. RW had to pay this while paying Gailey at the same time. I think Gailey is around 1.5 - 2 mil/year. That puts RW's HC costs around 5 mil/yr, that is mis-spent money but not cheap. RW usually hires inexperienced head coaches but good Coordinators up and coming as HC's. Problem is the GM's haven't drafted good enough players. Donahue was making 5mil/yr to be President/GM. That is where the problem started and he had really good credentials coming in. Ralph then promoted Brandon, mistake and then hired Marv as GM, mistake. Nix is a good GM, he had to basically start over except for a dozen players. He was on track till he fired Edwards and replaced with Wanndstat (linebackers coach already). He hasn't done that in almost 10 years and then he was HC/DC for Miami and was marginal. If Nix is given time I think he can complete this job. I don't think Gailey can because he just won't commit to the run and help his defense out. With a great DC he doesn't need to be involved on that side of the ball, There are solutions to fix this without starting over. Trade for a Top 15 QB, ie... Rivers, Bradford or Romo. Hire a proven DC as Assistant HC/DC and keep Gailey or hire new HC/DC like Philips, Gray, Billick and bring in a up and coming OC that likes the run. Can draft linebackers and CB's. If healthy Anderson and Williams will be fine, draft their replacement 2 years down the line when you will need to pay Darius and Spiller. Good Luck!!!

Just look at the last 3 years of drafts. The players they let walk. The free agents signed and how they are performing. Buddy Nix is nothing more then a glorified scout, and some of his choices have been very questionable. So many defensive players drafted and yet the worst defense in the league.

Chan Gailey would make a great OC if guided by someone like Jeff Fisher-Tom Coughlin who would direct him to run the ball more instead of trying to force a backup QB to try and win games. Both those men wouldn't settle for Fitz as the starter, not performing like he has been at times this year.

Look at the Titans game. All they needed was a field goal to win and had the ball on their own 20 with a 1:03 to go. With almost any good QB against that crappy Titan defense this would have been a win. Instead it was 4 passes and a turnover on downs. The Bills didn't even make a first down. All the Bills had to do was drive down the field 60 yards, and the couldn't even get a first down. It was ugly,and sad. the first pass underneath for 6 yards, the 2nd pass underneath for 2 yards, next two passes incomplete. WTF It looked like Trent Edwards behind center.

Where were the runs? Fred Jackson getting almost 8 yards per carry and the Titans defense laying back in dime coverage...Fitz choked...Gailey choked. Both losers! A good head coach wouldn't have allowed that.

Its time for some changes!

At this point Bill Cowher might be about the only man who could probably save this drowning franchise. The big problem is this owner doesn't see things the same way the fans do. He is perfectly content as long as his stadium is filled and he is making a profit.

That last point wasn't mine, it was from the 2010 Peter King article I quoted. Tho you are right, 13-26 sucks, and proves he is a loser.

yep, it certainly is depressing reading it. I have that tagline so fans will remember just how bad this years team really is. Most fans delude themselves into thinking the Bills will win the next game or its not so bad. Bills fans have been so hammered the last 12 years that they quickly forget what actually happened during the season. That the head coach is totally clueless about what to do. That DB (Bills fans) mentality only works well for DB's in games :lol:

Speaking of delusional.........

So what do you think that idiot Cowher would do with this crew? The Rooneys continually gave him one of the best rosters on the planet year after year and it took him 15 years to get a single ring and that one was the direct result of Dick LeBeau doing such unbelievable work that not even that idiot Cowher could !@#$ it up.

You know why that idiot Cowher is in a studio and not on a sideline? Cuz GM's around the league saw him repeatedly making a total ass of himself and regularly !@#$ing up the best talent in the NFL year after year. The only thing I can say for the idea is that giving a boatload of money to that idiot to mangle the Bills games the way he constantly did the Stillers games would quickly get us that top draft choice that might result in a franchise QB. Granted, he'd be playing somewhere besides Buffalo after Cowher's back to back to back 3-13 seasons got the Bills relocated.

Speaking of delusional.........

So what do you think that idiot Cowher would do with this crew? The Rooneys continually gave him one of the best rosters on the planet year after year and it took him 15 years to get a single ring and that one was the direct result of Dick LeBeau doing such unbelievable work that not even that idiot Cowher could !@#$ it up.

You know why that idiot Cowher is in a studio and not on a sideline? Cuz GM's around the league saw him repeatedly making a total ass of himself and regularly !@#$ing up the best talent in the NFL year after year. The only thing I can say for the idea is that giving a boatload of money to that idiot to mangle the Bills games the way he constantly did the Stillers games would quickly get us that top draft choice that might result in a franchise QB. Granted, he'd be playing somewhere besides Buffalo after Cowher's back to back to back 3-13 seasons got the Bills relocated.

Man, I get that you hate the guy, but get over it tho because his record speaks for itself 149-90-1. Bill Cowher won a lot of games with and without Dick Lebeau. Cowher was an ex NFL LBer, and was defensive minded to start with.

Realize before you canonize Dick LeBeau that he was the Pittsburgh DB's coach from 92-94 then spent TWO years as DC in 95-96 before leaving Pitt to Cincy to take the job as DC there. LeBeau wasn't even with the Steelers from 1997-2003 as he was the Bengals DC 97- 2000, then 2000-2002 Bengals HC, assistant HC in Buffalo in 2003. Lebeau was the DC at Pitt again in 2004. Cowher retired in 2006 so Lebeau as DC was only with Cowher for 5 out of his 15 seasons.

In Bill Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers won eight division titles, got ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, went to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles.

The sole reason in my mind why Cowher didn't win more SB's is because he had inferior QB's until Big Ben, that his fault? The GM's fault? The owners fault as they are very hands on, especially in the draft. I think Cowher did wonders considering the bums he had at QB for so many years.

Also realize Bill Cowher left the sidelines because he wanted to spend more time with his family as being an NFL head coach demands so much time. Good thing he retired because his wife passed in 2010 so he was able to spend that extra time with his wife and with his children who were in college. If I'm not mistaken all of Cowher's children are now done with college and he could now entertain thoughts about becoming a head coach again.

Like Bill Polian for NFL GM / President, the NFL would be better off with Bill Cowher as a head coach again. Bill Cowher is a brilliant head coach in my view.

Edited by Fear the Beard

You know why that idiot Cowher is in a studio and not on a sideline?

Plus look at his current job. He hangs out at home all week, maybe talking to a few coaches or players on the phone. On weekends he flies to NYC or Chicago or wherever they meet up and sits around talking about the games coming up. Then he sits around watching all the games so he can comment on them all at half and full time. And for all this hard work he makes a reported $3.4 million a year.

And you know what he does during the off season? Whatever the heck he wants too! No draft nonsense, planning OTAs or training camps, or worrying about players X or Y or Z drug busts or rape charges. He would have to be an idiot to give that up to start coaching again. I mean, how many people here would kill for that job!

Just look at the last 3 years of drafts. The players they let walk. The free agents signed and how they are performing. Buddy Nix is nothing more then a glorified scout, and some of his choices have been very questionable. So many defensive players drafted and yet the worst defense in the league.

Chan Gailey would make a great OC if guided by someone like Jeff Fisher-Tom Coughlin who would direct him to run the ball more instead of trying to force a backup QB to try and win games. Both those men wouldn't settle for Fitz as the starter, not performing like he has been at times this year.

Look at the Titans game. All they needed was a field goal to win and had the ball on their own 20 with a 1:03 to go. With almost any good QB against that crappy Titan defense this would have been a win. Instead it was 4 passes and a turnover on downs. The Bills didn't even make a first down. All the Bills had to do was drive down the field 60 yards, and the couldn't even get a first down. It was ugly,and sad. the first pass underneath for 6 yards, the 2nd pass underneath for 2 yards, next two passes incomplete. WTF It looked like Trent Edwards behind center.

Where were the runs? Fred Jackson getting almost 8 yards per carry and the Titans defense laying back in dime coverage...Fitz choked...Gailey choked. Both losers! A good head coach wouldn't have allowed that.

+1

Thank you.

Man, I get that you hate the guy, but ...

Actually he seems like a very decent fellow; unfortunately he's just an awful coach.

I live near P'burgh and watched this guy's entire career firsthand; he was entertaining at first but it didn't take long to realize that he had no business being an NFL head coach.

By the time he finally got out of there, after soooooo many years of utterly mangling hyper-talented teams, Stillers fans we're thrilled to see him go; and I don't know a single one of them who wants anything to do with the guy ever again. If you had actually watched him embarrass himself week in and week out, I'd bet my house you wouldn't want him anywhere near the Bills organization in any capacity whatsoever.

Actually he seems like a very decent fellow; unfortunately he's just an awful coach.

I live near P'burgh and watched this guy's entire career firsthand; he was entertaining at first but it didn't take long to realize that he had no business being an NFL head coach.

By the time he finally got out of there, after soooooo many years of utterly mangling hyper-talented teams, Stillers fans we're thrilled to see him go; and I don't know a single one of them who wants anything to do with the guy ever again. If you had actually watched him embarrass himself week in and week out, I'd bet my house you wouldn't want him anywhere near the Bills organization in any capacity whatsoever.

Familiarity breeds contempt i would guess in this case.

I look at Cowher's win record with amazement considering he never had a Jim Kelly like Marv Levy did, or a Dan Marino,Troy Aikman, John Elway and still won so many games. In my view the man was encumbered by the bums he had at QB. Neil O' Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzak, Tommy Maddox...talk about some serious scrubs. Some of the best OC's in the NFL couldn't help those guys. I can only imagine Cowher with a top QB winning so many more games. He might have had top talent on defense and offense other then at QB, but we all know when the game is on the line its the QB who usually steps up and wins it, just look at Big Ben.

Cowher's winning % mostly without Big Ben .623. Tomlin with Big Ben .678

Look at the coaching tree under Cowher, Dom Capers, Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Kevin Gilbride, Jim Haslett, Dick LeBeau, Marvin Lewis, Mike Mularkey, Ken Wisenhunt.

I think we will need to agree to disagree on this one. This discussion is more then likely moot anyway, no way would Wilson hire Cowher and give him the money or autonomy he desires :bag:

+1