After 30 years I've stopped caring

jeffhcb1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tend to agree, but what should the "mood of life" be for the players on this team.

Should those players that recently received a hugh contract feel any more of that mood than lesser paid ones?

Everyone handles their jobs differently. I cant speak for the players and frankly those of us clinging to a 3 min clip of an interview have no idea how these people approach the game each week.

Personally when on Sunday when Bills come on, i turn on the TV, grab a beer and watch. When its over, i think about the game for a bit, then go do work. Because for me, its just a game and a hobby on sundays

After 53, or so, I have not stopped caring!

If you've been around for 30, you started being a fan during the good times. Unfortunately, those times don't happen often enough.

After enjoying the late 60's and then suffering through the 70's and most of the 80's, I can tell you that it's not all good, but they are still my team, and a good reason to drink more than I should.

As a fellow 30+ year fan of this team I feel your frustration, I really do! What surprises me about your comments though, is the crybaby " Waah! My team is losing, they suck! Im takin my ball and going home" type of attitude? You would think that a person of your advanced years would develop a more mature and philisophical approach to the situation. Oh, by the way.... DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU... :nana:

Sadly, I echo your sentiments. Losing has become so commonplace it doesn't bother me anymore either. I've been gradually tuning out the past 2-3 seasons which is saying something because I was a diehard since the early 80's like you. The loses in a way make me feel better because the GM, coach, and most of the players should be one step closer to being replaced. It was a farce to think the staff and roster were playoff caliber. With change brings hope and things need to change as it is hopeless now.

It used to be in the 1990's that when they lost I was depressed and took the many wins for granted. Honestly, I probably get more enjoyment out of wins now, because I pretty much expect them to find a way to lose every game, and when they don't I am surprised into being excited. I get less and less upset with losses as every loss that should have been a win (see Tennessee 9 days ago) goes by, because it has become the norm for a decade. I don't disagree with the OP on how bad this franchise as been, but I will always cheer them on, gives me something to do on sundays and is kinda like buying a scratch off lottery ticket, you really don't have much chance of winning, but every once in a great while, you get lucky.

I've been watching this team for 30 years. And I honestly say it no longer bothers me when they lose. In fact, I root for them to lose, to hit rock bottom and either be sold or taken over by a new owner.

The league has passed this franchise by. Sure we have a few talented guys, you cant help not having a few given the high draft picks each and every year. But this organization is a joke. Its no different from any bad company, run by bad management. They rarely improve. Why do some teams have 3,4,5,6 SuperBowl trophies and others have none? Simple, the ownership, culture, management, people. And the Bills have only regressed while other teams have improved.

I'm not sure any of the front office, coaching or scouting staff would even have a job were it not for the Bills. Its so so so much more than just this guy or that guy, or this player or that player. its everything. They've lost the game before its begun, they just don't know it. They show no ability to evaluate talent in any level of the organization. This is a people business and that is where they have absolutely no competence, evaluating personnel, whether it be players, coaches, front office, you name it. Does anyone seriously think that Ralph Wilson can compete with an owner like Bob Kraft? Its not even fair. I'm not sure you could do a worse job on purpose. The first step to improving is identifying a problem; telling yourself the truth. And they haven't done that. Heck aren't even aware of it. And after 30 years I'm just tired. Tired of them not getting it, not knowing how far behind they are, how backwards the organization is. They are so so so far away from any of the elite teams its not even funny.

I'm not sure why they are even allowed to have a franchise. If you cannot get better, step aside and let someone else have a shot. Sell the team Ralph, end this 50 year run of mediocrity (ex the 5-6 good years you had by lucking your way into Polian). I'm done.

Have fun being a Patriots fan, we are going to smash you guys in two weeks.

He is telling the truth here. Your kidding yourself all other posters if you think obd is gonna right the ship, how many have you been following the bills more than twenty years

Went to my first game in the Rockpile..I always think (hope)they are going to win the next game! Always have..always will

I hear where you're coming from. However, I'd argue that there might be hope on the horizon. I'm sure this is the very first time in the last 30 years when you've heard that sentiment expressed! :)

There are two separate, but not necessarily mutually exclusive, possibilities for the team's incompetence.

1) The incompetence is caused by poor ownership.

2) The incompetence is caused by the lack of a franchise quarterback.

As for 1), even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. Meaning, that even an owner like Ralph Wilson will sometimes hire a Bill Polian. Could Nix be another Polian? Maybe--the jury is still out on that.

As for 2), nine of the last ten Super Bowls were won by teams with franchise quarterbacks. The Bills have had only one franchise quarterback in team history: Jim Kelly. (To anyone who says Jack Kemp, my response is: look at his stats.) Not coincidentally, the Kelly era was the only time in franchise history when the Bills even made it to the Super Bowl.

If you were to add a franchise QB to the Bills, heal Mario Williams' wrist, replace the defensive coordinator, and make a few other changes, this could be a real team. My suggestion to you is: don't set your hopes high for this team, until such time as a franchise QB has been added.

Your right, but all those things wont happen until we have a new owner.

As a fellow 30+ year fan of this team I feel your frustration, I really do! What surprises me about your comments though, is the crybaby " Waah! My team is losing, they suck! Im takin my ball and going home" type of attitude? You would think that a person of your advanced years would develop a more mature and philisophical approach to the situation. Oh, by the way.... DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU... :nana:

Untrue. I'm not crying. That would imply I actually cared. It just doesnt bother me anymore that they lose. I've faced reality and its pretty liberating. if they ever get serious again, maybe I will too. But until then, why should i care much about a half ass effort. Heck, I'm not sure they even care if they win, so why should we?

Have fun being a Patriots fan, we are going to smash you guys in two weeks.

I'm not a Pats fan. But "Come on mannnnnnn." Just take a peak at their record vs the Pats the last, oh I dont know....Decade??? Only one team has done the smashing my friend. If they beat the Pats I'll gladly buy you a beer.

Went to my first game in the Rockpile..I always think (hope)they are going to win the next game! Always have..always will

Because they always can win the next game. That's the beauty of sports, no win is guaranteed. That's why I prefer sports to movies. Movie ending are easily determined going in. Sport endings never are.

Edited by Chef Jim

Because they always can win the next game. That's the beauty of sports, no win is guaranteed. That's why I prefer sports to movies. Movie ending are easily determined going in. Sport endings never are.

Or is the case for OP, no loss is guaranteed!

GO BILLS

They will always be my team.

You and me brother..never gunna change over a measly 13 year playoff drought..where is the intestinal fortitude of these fans :thumbsup::lol:

. Tell me after only thirty years what have seen besides the Kelly era has been that great. Oh ya 1980 and 1981. You haven't been around long enough Edited by roush