The Bill's are on pace to draft a franchise Quarterback!

Buffalo 66

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the most selectively revisionist piles of horse plop I've ever read here, and that's really saying something. I'll compile a list of every QB drafted in the first five picks of the draft, and in years where no QB was selected in the top five I'll simply list the first QB selected, for the last 20 years for you.

1992: David Klingler (6)

1993: Drew Bledsoe (1), Rick Mirer (2)

1994: Heath Shuler (3)

1995: Steve McNair (3), Kerry Collins (5)

1996: Tony Banks (42)

1997: Jim Druckenmiller (26)

1998: Peyton Manning (1), Ryan Leaf (2)

1999: Tim Couch (1), Donovan McNabb (2), Akili Smith (3)

2000: Chad Pennington (18)

2001: Mike Vick (1)

2002: David Carr (1), Joey Harrington (3)

2003: Carson Palmer (1)

2004: Eli Manning (1), Phillip Rivers (4)

2005: Alex Smith (1)

2006: Vince Young (3)

2007: JaMarcus Russell (1)

2008: Matt Ryan (3)

2009: Matthew Stafford (1), Mark Sanchez (5)

2010: Sam Bradford (1)

2011: Cam Newton (1)

2012: Andrew Luck (1), Robert Griffin III (2)

The above list names a total of 30 current or former players. Of those, only 13 are current NFL starters, with 5 others having been considered legitimate starters during their careers. Of the entire list, only 13 ever made a Pro-Bowl, and only 1 has been an All-Pro selection. Only 3 have ever made it to the Super Bowl, and of those only 2 have won the Big Game.

To conclude, there are no sure fire "franchise" players at any position, much less at quarterback where the development curve is long and unpredictable. If you don't believe me, just ask any of the 32 general managers in the NFL. Or, if you've managed to convince yourself that you've got the magic bullet, apply for one of their jobs. If it really is as simple for you to see as you're claiming, any one of the NFL's franchises would be happy to have you.

Bravo! :beer::thumbsup:

Riggghhht. Because that's what Nix is known for, drafting CBs. Out of his 27 draft picks 4 have been CBs.

That's not what I was saying I using the CB as a metaphor Nix seems to always take the wrong need at the wrong time

What will happen is that the Jets will end up picking ahead of the Bills and take the better QB in the first round. They may even trade Tebow and some other schmucks to move up to #1..That is my guess as to why Tebow has not been traded and does not play (they don't want him to get injured or show how bad he can be).

This is one of the most selectively revisionist piles of horse plop I've ever read here, and that's really saying something. I'll compile a list of every QB drafted in the first five picks of the draft, and in years where no QB was selected in the top five I'll simply list the first QB selected, for the last 20 years for you.

The above list names a total of 30 current or former players. Of those, only 13 are current NFL starters, with 5 others having been considered legitimate starters during their careers. Of the entire list, only 13 ever made a Pro-Bowl, and only 1 has been an All-Pro selection. Only 3 have ever made it to the Super Bowl, and of those only 2 have won the Big Game.

To conclude, there are no sure fire "franchise" players at any position, much less at quarterback where the Idevelopment curve is long and unpredictable. If you don't believe me, just ask any of the 32 general managers in the NFL. Or, if you've managed to convince yourself that you've got the magic bullet, apply for one of their jobs. If it really is as simple for you to see as you're claiming, any one of the NFL's franchises would be happy to have you.

Thank you.

PTR

Drafting any position is not a sure thing.

But in this league, you have to have a good quarterback. The Bills have to take a chance.

Look at the Dolphins back in 2008. They passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long.

Long turned out to be possibly the best left tackle in the NFL.

But Miami has regretted it ever since, because having the game's best left tackle is worthless if he has nobody to protect.

At this point, I don't care if the Bills "reach" for Barkley, Smith, Jones, Bray...

The first pick in the draft HAS TO BE A QUARTERBACK.

The Bill's are 3-4 with only six teams with a worse record

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Oakland

Kansas City

Detroit

Carolina

Carolina AND Detroit are set at QB that leaves Oakland, cleveland Jacksonville, and KC possibly looking at a QB in the first round! Cleveland and Jacksonville already drafted a QB in round 1 the last two years. Lot's of football left yet but I don't see the Bill's winning more than two more games. I believe they will be in a good position to trade up and grab possibly the number one or two overall pick and get the next best thing to Jim Kelly.

Sorry, it's Monday morning and I can't help myself on these types of posts... There are so many things wrong (IMO) with your point of view on this....

1) The season is not even half way over, and by record the Bills are 1 game out of a playoff spot. And you are hoping the Bills lose out so the Bills can once again draft in the top 10 (as if they haven't done that over the last 12 years). Personally I prefer to watch my team win.

2) Fitz has looked pretty bad at times, however he has been scoring, more than most QB's in the NFL. Despite his inconsistency the offense has played plenty well enough to win. As everyone knows, the Defense is what has held the team back. The Bills just signed a big contract with Fitz. Now don't get me wrong, I'd like a QB too, but you are assuming the Bills would take one of the very iffy QB's from this class in the 1st round.

3) Some people have this weird conception that losing somehow makes the team better. If that was the case the Bills should be the best team in the league by now.

4) 1st round QB's fail just as often as they succeed. Partially because the draft is a crap shoot, partially because the teams they go to are awful, and have awful coaching.

5) You don't have to suck to have a good QB. The 3 best QB's in the league right now IMO were drafted 24th overall, 2nd round, and 7th round ( Rogers, Brees, Brady). Plus, NO didn't draft Brees, Denver didn't draft Peyton, the Packers didn't draft Favre etc, etc. The point is, being awful is not somehow a direct link to a franchise QB, it's just BEING AWFUL.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

That's not what I was saying I using the CB as a metaphor Nix seems to always take the wrong need at the wrong time

I saw the angle you were coming from, I was just teasing.

Nix has done what many of us here were clamoring for however. Good teams get built through the trenches and I believe he's done a good job of that. I'm still a firm believer that the real problem with this team is coaching with QB being a very close second. I think if we change coaching staffs this offseason and let Whaley take over as GM we are in good shape. New regimes like to draft a franchise QB and I'd feel comfortable with the team that Nix has built for a rookie QB to come in and start. We have a good OLine, a good ground game, a solid WR and a solid TE. The situation should be ideal for any rookie QB and we can thank Nix for that much at least.

Drafting any position is not a sure thing.

But in this league, you have to have a good quarterback. The Bills have to take a chance.

Look at the Dolphins back in 2008. They passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long.

Long turned out to be possibly the best left tackle in the NFL.

But Miami has regretted it ever since, because having the game's best left tackle is worthless if he has nobody to protect.

At this point, I don't care if the Bills "reach" for Barkley, Smith, Jones, Bray...

The first pick in the draft HAS TO BE A QUARTERBACK.

Wow, this is genius, so with hindsight you were able to determine which player was a better draft pick? AMAZING! I bet the Raiders wish they had that talent when they took Jamarcus Russell.

So your plan to randomly select a QB regardless of where we draft or who is available must be equally genius! Can we make you the GM?

:wallbash:

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Taking a QB early is about a 50% success rate. How do you improve at the position if you don't take a chance on a guy? I'm sick and tired of castoffs and retreads... it just doesn't work. Fitz has shown he is a career backup that fell into a starters role on a desperate team..

The D is bad but there are not many elite defenses anymore. I think a big factor is the poor coaching on this team.

Today's game favors the offense and especially the QB position.

Taking a QB early is about a 50% success rate. How do you improve at the position if you don't take a chance on a guy? I'm sick and tired of castoffs and retreads... it just doesn't work. Fitz has shown he is a career backup that fell into a starters role on a desperate team..

The D is bad but there are not many elite defenses anymore. I think a big factor is the poor coaching on this team.

Today's game favors the offense and especially the QB position.

Exactly right about coaching, unfortunately we can't draft one of them. I'm all for taking a QB in the 1st, if the GM and coaching staff truly believe he can be very good in the NFL.

I am NOT for taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB, and hoping that by luck he will be good. I also don't think it's necessary to be the worst team in the league to get a good QB, you just need a good GM.

And I'm certainly not rooting for the team to lose because by some imaginary logic that makes us more likely to land a better QB.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

To conclude, there are no sure fire "franchise" players at any position, much less at quarterback where the development curve is long and unpredictable. If you don't believe me, just ask any of the 32 general managers in the NFL. Or, if you've managed to convince yourself that you've got the magic bullet, apply for one of their jobs. If it really is as simple for you to see as you're claiming, any one of the NFL's franchises would be happy to have you.

And your point is what? Sometimes you have to take a plunge on a calculated risk in order to be rewarded in life! The Bill's have not won a playoff game since Jim Kelly was QB, that was a long time ago my friend! Some people are content with mediocracy, not me! What are the Bills supposed to do? Wait until someone like Aaron Rodgers FALLS to them?? They may be waiting for a long, long time.I am sick of the worthless garbage that the Bills have put on the field, including coaches, trainers, Quarterbacks ect!"Risk more than others think is safe! What the hell do they have to even lose at this point???Go big!

Wow. Just wow. You went back 20 years and then found only 13 are still starting?! Shocking! How many players at any position are still in the league 20 years? Why would data from 20 years ago even be relevant?!

I will agree that it used to be a crap shoot however if you look at the last 5 drafts there is only 1 bust (Sanchez - and that is up to debate due to the talent surrounding him) and he was on a team that went to 2 afc championship games! The science of drafting a qb (especially in the top 5) has been narrowed a bit.

Even if you go back 12 years, I can count 12 qbs that are starting out of 16 - that is a 75% success rate. A highly rated/touted guy at the qb position has a tremendous success rate lately - one I would wager that is higher than most positions. The mid first round/early second round guys are the crap shoots, but don't confuse them with the premium guys. It still remains to be seen (imo) who if any are the premium picks in this draft.

Add this to the fact that drafting a qb doesn't cripple a team the way it used to. The new salary structure really limits the negative impact of a poor decision and is why some feel Gabbert may be replaced this year in the draft (although he looked pretty good yesterday).

All of this said, I don't think the Bills will be drafting in the top 5. Which does make their selection a crap shoot. :sick:

Pretty good list of Quarterbacks taken in the last in the last 5 years! There will be some Superbowl rings on some of those fingers before they are done.Your post makes very little if any sense. You should have went back forty or fifty years LOL.

Just a clarification...nobody was waiting for brady*. You don't draft a QB n the 6th round with any thought of him being one of 'those' guys.

OH! So what your saying is sometimes you just get lucky! So where exactly do you draft one of "those" QB'S??

What will happen is that the Jets will end up picking ahead of the Bills and take the better QB in the first round. They may even trade Tebow and some other schmucks to move up to #1..That is my guess as to why Tebow has not been traded and does not play (they don't want him to get injured or show how bad he can be).

The Jets won't be able to get a wet bag of noodles for Tebow...It's gonna take premium Draft Picks to move up...Something they did a few years ago for Sanchise...So I'm not sure they have the stomach for that again...We'll see...

Oh and another thing...The Jets won't finish with a worse record that The Bills...Partially because they will likely sweep The Bills again... B-)

Just a clarification...nobody was waiting for brady*. You don't draft a QB n the 6th round with any thought of him being one of 'those' guys.

Exactly...I've heard interviews with NE Scouts that were part of that Draft saying as much...Had they thought Brady was who he ended up being, they would have taken him MUCH higher...So... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS