The Bill's are on pace to draft a franchise Quarterback!

Buffalo 66

OH! So what your saying is sometimes you just get lucky! So where exactly do you draft one of "those" QB'S??

Yes, that was luck.

As for when you get one of those QBs...as others have said in this thread...you decide on your guy and you pick him. Then you hope like hell that you got it right. If it was a science every team would have a franchise player at every position.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets won't be able to get a wet bag of noodles for Tebow...It's gonna take premium Draft Picks to move up...Something they did a few years ago for Sanchise...So I'm not sure they have the stomach for that again...We'll see...

Oh and another thing...The Jets won't finish with a worse record that The Bills...Partially because they will likely sweep The Bills again... B-)

It hardly goes to taking advantage of some team in a trade, that Tebow is stuck on the bench behind Sanchez.

Define "success". I think the numbers are alot worse than 50%.

Success being one or more of the following: winning record, pro bowl caliber statistics, playoff appearances/wins, and obviously SB appearances/wins.

And NO the numbers are not worse than 50%, its 50/50, honest to god.

Edited by CarolinaBill

And your point is what? Sometimes you have to take a plunge on a calculated risk in order to be rewarded in life! The Bill's have not won a playoff game since Jim Kelly was QB, that was a long time ago my friend! Some people are content with mediocracy, not me! What are the Bills supposed to do? Wait until someone like Aaron Rodgers FALLS to them?? They may be waiting for a long, long time.I am sick of the worthless garbage that the Bills have put on the field, including coaches, trainers, Quarterbacks ect!"Risk more than others think is safe! What the hell do they have to even lose at this point???Go big!

You just go ahead and shift those goal posts where ever you want them. I'm sure if you change the argument you're making often enough, and throw enough bull **** at the wall, some of it's bound to stick, right?

You said that we should take a quarterback that we know is a surefire franchise player with our first pick. I made the (obvious) case that it's not all that easy. In fact, it's about as far from an exact science as there is. In many years there are no decent projectable prospects at the position. You can't just decide to go all in on garbage, and pray that it turns into gold. The Redskins didn't go all in for a quarterback last year simply out of need and a crapshoot, they went all in because he had off the charts projectables, character, and intangibles; and even then he wasn't a sure thing. There is no one in this year's class that grades out nearly as high as RG3. The Redskins made a calculated risk, you want Buffalo to jump in with both feet at a much lower grade of prospect and pray that they don't throw away the next five years of the franchises developmental growth on the next Akili Smith. That's not how top flight organizations build. That's how the early 2000 Bungles operated; a model franchise for sure.

You're entitled to your bull **** opinion, but your philosophy only leads one place. A franchise that's more broken than it is today, and a buyers group in California. Good work, genius.

More often than not it's losers who wait for things to come to them in the draft. Nix's strategy has been to sit tight and hope things fall into place with mere subterfuge. I don't think anyone's saying it's a guarantee that taking a guy in the first results in success simply because here are no guarantees in life, let alone the NFL. This strategy of being uber-conservative when it's time to find your future guy is one reason why they can't get a franchise QB. Of course you can't get the guy with that mentality.

Washington paid a huge price for RGIII. But in the rebuild process they're a lot further along than bumbling Buddy.

More often than not it's losers who wait for things to come to them in the draft. Nix's strategy has been to sit tight and hope things fall into place with mere subterfuge. I don't think anyone's saying it's a guarantee that taking a guy in the first results in success simply because here are no guarantees in life, let alone the NFL. This strategy of being uber-conservative when it's time to find your future guy is one reason why they can't get a franchise QB. Of course you can't get the guy with that mentality.

Washington paid a huge price for RGIII. But in the rebuild process they're a lot further along than bumbling Buddy.

The Redskins were aggressive because of a specific prospect at a position of need, not because they had a position of need and were on a ridged timeline to fill it with any prospect. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

The Redskins were aggressive because of a specific prospect at a position of need, not because they had a position of need and were on a ridged timeline to fill it with any prospect.

Right. Also something to remember is that selected 2 QBs in last years draft. Also if they were on a ridged timeline they would have been hustling for Locker, Dalton, Ponder or trying to trade for Newton and not settling for the Grossman/Beck show.

Drafting any position is not a sure thing.

But in this league, you have to have a good quarterback. The Bills have to take a chance.

Look at the Dolphins back in 2008. They passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long.

Long turned out to be possibly the best left tackle in the NFL.

But Miami has regretted it ever since, because having the game's best left tackle is worthless if he has nobody to protect.

At this point, I don't care if the Bills "reach" for Barkley, Smith, Jones, Bray...

The first pick in the draft HAS TO BE A QUARTERBACK.

Well said. Any pick is a risk. Better to risk it on the most important position than any other position.

Well said. Any pick is a risk. Better to risk it on the most important position than any other position.

No, it wasn't "well said", it was asinine. The Dolphins bided their time, took BPA at corosponding positions of need, and built a strong core, never overspending. Then, when the time was right and the class was strong, they took their guy without overspending or mortgaging their future.

The Redskins were aggressive because of a specific prospect at a position of need, not because they had a position of need and were on a ridged timeline to fill it with any prospect.

Washington was aggressive for both reasons. Bruce Allen and especially Shanahan knew when they took over in 2010 that they needed a QB. When McNabb ate his way out of the league and Grossman once again proved he wasn't starter material they knew that they needed a better option And so, they identified RGIII as their man, who, behind Luck, was the best QB prospect in the draft. They absolutely needed a QB for 2012 given the options they had going into the season; Grossman and John Beck.

But I digress, you remain aggressive given the supply of talented QB's and the demand for them. It seems like no less than 5 teams are looking for one every year. 10 rookies or 2nd year men are now starting out of the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

Agreed...

It's hard to say how much more it would have cost Buffalo to move up from #10 and #41, instead of the #6 and #39 Washington traded...I'm guessing another Pick for sure...Maybe even last years 3rd Round Pick...

The Bills would have had to give up Gilmore, and Glenn, last Draft...Plus the 2013, and 2014 1st Round Picks...And something else...That's a lot no question...

But I think it would have been worth it...Especially if you can Draft well from Rounds 3-7...Not saying The Bills can of course...Just saying...Teams have Drafted VERY well in those Rounds...It can hypothetically be done... ;)

You just go ahead and shift those goal posts where ever you want them. I'm sure if you change the argument you're making often enough, and throw enough bull **** at the wall, some of it's bound to stick, right?

You said that we should take a quarterback that we know is a surefire franchise player with our first pick. I made the (obvious) case that it's not all that easy. In fact, it's about as far from an exact science as there is. In many years there are no decent projectable prospects at the position. You can't just decide to go all in on garbage, and pray that it turns into gold. The Redskins didn't go all in for a quarterback last year simply out of need and a crapshoot, they went all in because he had off the charts projectables, character, and intangibles; and even then he wasn't a sure thing. There is no one in this year's class that grades out nearly as high as RG3. The Redskins made a calculated risk, you want Buffalo to jump in with both feet at a much lower grade of prospect and pray that they don't throw away the next five years of the franchises developmental growth on the next Akili Smith. That's not how top flight organizations build. That's how the early 2000 Bungles operated; a model franchise for sure.

You're entitled to your bull **** opinion, but your philosophy only leads one place. A franchise that's more broken than it is today, and a buyers group in California. Good work, genius.

"The smartest man in the room" Ha Ha glad you think so! The more you talk, the more clear it becomes you have no idea what you are trying to say, I think you just like to voice your opinion.Were you beaten as a child? Edited by Buffalo 66

"The smartest man in the room" Ha Ha glad you think so! The more you talk, the more clear it becomes you have no idea what you are trying to say, I think you just like to voice your opinion.Were you beaten as a child?

I see, so you've moved on from shifting the goal posts around and have opted for ad hom attacks?

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this thread with an IQ over 40 thinks you're in way over your head.

Care to address the points I've made, or are you going to continue to act like a child?

I see, so you've moved on from shifting the goal posts around and have opted for ad hom attacks?

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this thread with an IQ over 40 thinks you're in way over your head.

Care to address the points I've made, or are you going to continue to act like a child?

What POINT have you made? I am still trying to figure that one out.