Change is coming somewhere in the NFL

There was an incident where Ralph's daughter (Linda Bogdan, IIRC) was working as a scout (I think), and at some point Polian referred to her with the B-word (or was it the C-word?). I recall that as a breaking point between Wilson and Polian.

You can probably look this up somewhere for more detail.

The rift between Polian and the Bills happened over a number of issues. Polian and Jeff Littman (Ralph's CFO) began arguing on a regular basis over contracts and other spending issues. After a period of time, the issues became unsolvable. Polian has his own way of doing things and deosn't tolerate input or interference well. It seems that it's pretty much his way or the highway, and in the long run that stubborness seems to do him in over the long term. In the short term, as long as the team is winning, everything's great. But once the team's performance begins to slip (like in Indy), other people in the organization begin to push for more input. Polian doesn't seem to tolerate this well. This pattern started in Buffalo, repeated itself with Carolina, and also in Indy. So I guess the question would be: How much is an owner willing to take the bad with the good?

Polian coming back seems to fit Ralph's preferences for older more experienced guys.

I think that if changes are coming, it will depend on the team's performance over the next month.

NFL = Not For Long if you're losing.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy doesn't believe in running the ball and is why he struggles when the playoffs come and has relied on athletic QBs instead pocket passers. that said he would be better than what we have now.

even if a new owner wasn't in place, when a new one gets here he would not be dumb enough to fire Polian.

Bottom Line, Polian ain't signin on with Ralph. If he signs up at all, he's signin on for Ralph's successors.

Was Buffalo actually mentioned by La Canfora?

Yep :thumbsup:

The question was poised do you expect any more moves this off season, the response ....La Canfora stated after based on talks with many NFL exec's and GM's that sweeping changes are coming.

NFN, Bill Polian was the Colts "president" and his son was the GM, so I don't see Polian taking a job as GM again. I mean why should he take a lower job, he proved his worth. So don't forget who the current Buffalo Bills president is.... Wilson did step aside for Tom Donahoe tho

Edited by Fear the Beard

also, it's kind of funny how the bills operate:

we would bring this guy back.

just to play devils advocate for a second: polians teams were never dominant forces in the league. they were always really good in really bad conferences/divisions.

his bills teams: were dominated in the superbowls. absolutely dominated.

his colts teams: they won ONE superbowl with peyton manning (maybe the best qb to ever play the game.) ONE superbowl. in all honesty, i think manning was such a good qb, no matter what team you put him on, they would win one superbowl every 10 years, just because manning is the qb.

i mean, he was a really GOOD gm... but his teams, they were never GREAT. i would rather have scott pioli, who looks to be out in KC soon. he drafted brady, he built the defense from the ground up that won 3 superbowls. ok, so he had a dry run in kansas city--who cares. his track record in 5 years with the pats is better than polians 30 years in the league.

idk man. sounds like when we brought back marv.

Did he mention the Bills because he acutally knows something, or did he mention the Bills because he mentioned all the teams that are in disarray? With Gailey in his contract year and some of the big contracts that have been given to underperforming players, I would naturally think it is logical to put the Bills into a list of teams that are going to have changes in management and coaching. However, with the Bills ownership situation it isn't clear that any changes will actually occur.

just to play devils advocate for a second: polians teams were never dominant forces in the league. they were always really good in really bad conferences/divisions.

his colts teams: they won ONE superbowl with peyton manning (maybe the best qb to ever play the game.) ONE superbowl. in all honesty, i think manning was such a good qb, no matter what team you put him on, they would win one superbowl every 10 years, just because manning is the qb.

i mean, he was a really GOOD gm... but his teams, they were never GREAT. i would rather have scott pioli, who looks to be out in KC soon. he drafted brady, he built the defense from the ground up that won 3 superbowls. ok, so he had a dry run in kansas city--who cares. his track record in 5 years with the pats is better than polians 30 years in the league.

Jeez, really?

The man built winners in Buffalo, Carolina,and Indy! Not just playoff teams, but super bowl teams. It would be nice to see the bills field a winning team once again.

(Peyton Manning sure fire future HoF QB among others on the Colts) ( Kelly, Levy, TThomas, Bruce Smith all in the HoF) Really, not that good?

Really, Scott Poili :sick:

Edited by Fear the Beard

So because his teams didn't "dominate", we shouldn't consider him? We should stick with Buddy and awful?

The only reason the Colts couldn't win more than one SB, despite absolutely "dominating" the regular season year after year is because they had the wrong HC.

Wonder how safe things are for Jason Garret in Dallas these days. Only posting this now because I'm watching the Cowboys implode...yet again as I type. There's always a lot of hype and expectations down there and that team has come nowhere near matching either.

The only reason the Colts couldn't win more than one SB, despite absolutely "dominating" the regular season year after year is because they had the wrong HC.

damn, if only there was someone within the colts organization who could have corrected the problem of not having the right coach to win a super bowl? it sucks that polian, as a gm, had to put up with that handicap.

im just glad something like that has never happened to the bills.

it would be terrible to have a team loaded with super bowl talent, but to have a coach who was, maybe, buddy buddy with the gm, and stuck around longer than he should have, and prevented that team from becoming a dynasty.

we need a strong gm in buffalo to make sure that never happens.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Two things:

1. If someone had told me 3 years ago that our front office would be Bill Polian as Team President and Doug Whaley as GM, I would have been very happy. This team sorely lacks organizational direction. It is something we had under Donahoe actually, however you feel about some of his decisions. You knew that there was at least a plan in place that he was trying to follow. A strong football man is needed.

2. Scott Pioli is good front office guy. I don't know if he is a driving force that can lead an organization. Anyone who thinks that Belicheck does not fully run the show in New England needs to watch A Football Life: Cleveland 95. It is clear that he has a hand in every decision that organization makes. (On a side note, anyone who thinks Belicheck was a re-tread coach when he was hired by New England is WAY off base. He completely re-built that Browns team into a winner who was predicted to go to the Super Bowl in '95, only to have the impeding move of the franchise to Baltimore sabotage the season. Then Modell basically cleaned house.)

People are still crying about Polian? The man who put together a 2-14 team last year? But I guess he's such a genius, he did that on purpose so the Colts could get Luck huh? Move on.

yea, that 2-14 team managed to draft Andrew Luck...who is rated to be the next Manning, Brady, Brees type who is a future HoFer ...I think he had a plan!

In my view Polian is a pro football genius in every sense of that word. I just highly doubt he end up in Buffalo ever again. I recall him needing to fight with Littmann just to sign normal free agents, then he needed to fight with the owner to get stadium improvements (big screen & sound system) and to sign star players and star free agents.

Polian no longer needed to fight with anyone once he was in Carolina or Indy. I also highly doubt Ralph Wilson would step down as president or pay Polian what he would need to in order to hire him as president.

Bottom line, if there is one sole person in the NFL that could rebuild the Buffalo Bills into a contender again it would be Bill Polian without question. It won't happen tho...unless the team is sold before this season ends.

Andy doesn't believe in running the ball and is why he struggles when the playoffs come and has relied on athletic QBs instead pocket passers. that said he would be better than what we have now.

The offense has not been a problem under Chan (Except for a few head scratchers). While Fitz has been streaky and is not an NFL starting caliber QB, he can manage the game, if he is not put in the position to win the game by himself.

even if a new owner wasn't in place, when a new one gets here he would not be dumb enough to fire Polian.

It depends. If the owner has already a buddy who wants to be the GM of a franchise, he is going to get it. Remember, even Mike Holmgren was run out of town in Cleveland (and in Seattle).

Wonder how safe things are for Jason Garret in Dallas these days. Only posting this now because I'm watching the Cowboys implode...yet again as I type. There's always a lot of hype and expectations down there and that team has come nowhere near matching either.

We need a good defensive coordinator who can work with this team. Mike Nolan would have been a perfect fit as a DC. Unfortunately we picked Dave instead of Mike.

So because his teams didn't "dominate", we shouldn't consider him? We should stick with Buddy and awful?

Blasphemy to some to say it, but also true for Buffalo IMO. Put a top notch coach in charge of those Bills teams and we aren't 0-4. The talent that Polian and team assembled was extraordinary.