Change is coming somewhere in the NFL

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian's biggest strength IMO was that he recognized players that not only had football talent, but had a strong competitive streak. The thing the 90s teams possessed were players with big egos who hated to lose. Polian also understood that part of the winning formula isn't just about the individuals, but how to assemble the right group of people that have good chemistry as an ensemble.

As good as Smerlas was as at nose tackle, he missed out on the Bills superbowl runs because he was getting older and they wanted the faster Jeff Wright, but also partly because Polian recognized that he was a a divisive force that could undermine the chemistry of the team, especially if he were forced to keep the bench warm for Jeff W.

The big question I always have about retreads is: has their time passed? Maybe what worked in the 90' or 00s isn't a winning formula today. (think Dave Waanstadt)

I think Ralph was looking for some younger and more innovative minds to run this team. Unfortunately, Ralph thinks Buddy and Chan fit that category.

Would I want Polian back? I suppose - if he were still the best choice willing to go to Buffalo - why not?

One of the interesting angles to this saga is that there have long been rumors about the Jim Kelly group (whoever they are) making a bid for the team when Ralph passes, which will in all likelihood occur within the next 3 years, if not sooner. Presumably, Kelly is tight with Polian, just as he is with Levy and that may be a factor.

Maybe if we get Polian back, kelly, and Thurman, and Bruuuuuuuce would also want to come back with marv as the HC!

Polian wants to come back cause its the only way he can get his son a job in the NFL right now, he has said if he comes back, its in a package deal with Chris

Polians success in Indy, and what he has been living on recently was falling into a situation where he was able to draft Peyton Manning. Without Manning, that Colts team was horrible, and yet he still could only win one Super bowl with him.

Polians time is coming to an end, let him go somewhere else so he doesn't tarnish his image here and you guys can continue on with your Polian Circle Jerks with the 90's polian still in your thoughts