Lets play GM

billsfan_34

get chan in my office. tell him that the developement of the team is far behind expectations. make sure he understands that he won´t be back if the playoffs are missed. hint that the play of the defense is unwatchable and that a new face at DC might help. see if he has the balls to fire a friend. if not, fire wanny 2 days later by myself.

call the rooneys. ask them who they would invite for interviews if they had an opening. phone these to see who actually would take that interview.

do the same with the packers and another team you like in terms of coaching search.

include the college ranks in your search for the new coach.

check the record at seasons end. if a miracle happened and we made the playoffs let chan go anyway.

introduce the new coach and swing a trade - if neccesary - for a high pick to draft this years stand-out QB.

get chan in my office. tell him that the developement of the team is far behind expectations. make sure he understands that he won´t be back if the playoffs are missed. hint that the play of the defense is unwatchable and that a new face at DC might help. see if he has the balls to fire a friend. if not, fire wanny 2 days later by myself.

call the rooneys. ask them who they would invite for interviews if they had an opening. phone these to see who actually would take that interview.

do the same with the packers and another team you like in terms of coaching search.

check the record at seasons end. if a miracle happened and we made the playoffs let chan go anyway.

introduce the new coach and swing a trade - if neccesary - for a high pick to draft this years stand-out QB.

That's an interesting take and a nice approach.

First order of business would be to fire Chan now. I would bring him in and tell him with the level of talent and horrible play calling at crucial points in the game is unacceptable. Then wanny goes too. After that I would make metzellars interim coach....end of season fitz gets his walking papers. Then its the hunt for a good.....hungry up and coming coordinator for head coach. 2013 draft...rd 1 best qb available.....rds 2 and 3 LB AND CORNER!!!!

Trade for a LB. This team can still make the playoffs in the weak AFC. There must be a team that has a veteran LB that is unlikely to make the playoffs. Give up a 3rd round pick for a starting LB.

No sense in firing Chan now. If a coaching move was going to be made it would have been on Monday.

We all knew the LB's were horrible. Why wait until the draft to get an unproven LB?

I’d say (in my best Nix impression): “Look Chan, I brought you in here cuz I felt we approach the game the same way. But listen, if we’re trying to protect the lead in the fourth quarter and you’re throwing the ball when our backs are averaging 7 yards a clip and it costs us another game or sends us into unnecessary overtimes where our guys have the chance of getting hurt… I’m going to have to let you go at the end of the season. And I’ve paid for too much talent to have a defense perform this way. Everybody knows what we’re doing. I know Dave is your friend and mentor, but YOU are MY head coach. I didn’t hire one for each side of the ball. The responsibility is ultimately yours. You can’t just have the offense, it don’t work like that. You tell him to blitz. You tell him to disguise coverages. Let Merriman stand up if it works for him. Get the safeties and LBs to stop freezing in their tracks and get off blocks. And you tell that defensive line to show up on Sundays. Their job is to win one-on-ones and they are NOT doing it. I don’t want to be here having this conversation, but we got 9 games left and I think we can turn it around (not me saying this but Buddy). I just need more out of you and our guys and some better decision making or we’ll all be looking for work after this season. We won’t get another chance anywhere else I can promise you that. Alright let’s get to work.”

Edited by jaohl

I’d say (in my best Nix impression): “Look Chan, I brought you in here cuz I felt we approach the game the same way. But listen, if we’re trying to protect the lead in the fourth quarter and you’re throwing the ball when our backs are averaging 7 yards a clip and it costs us another game or sends us into unnecessary overtimes where our guys have the chance of getting hurt… I’m going to have to let you go at the end of the season. And I’ve paid for too much talent to have a defense perform this way. Everybody knows what we’re doing. I know Dave is your friend and menotr, but YOU are MY head coach. I didn’t hire one for each side of the ball. The responsibility is ultimately yours. You can’t just have the offense, it don’t work like that. You tell him to blitz. You tell him to disguise coverages. Let Merriman stand up if it works for him. Get the safeties and LBs to stop freezing in their tracks and get off blocks. And you tell that defensive line to show up on Sundays. Their job is to win one-on-ones and they are NOT doing it. I don’t want to be here having this conversation, but we got 9 games left and I think we can turn it around (not me saying this but Buddy). I just need more out of you and our guys and some better decision making or we’ll all be looking for work after this season. We won’t get another chance anywhere else I can promise you that. Alright let’s get to work.”

Hopefully, Chan Gailey's response too that would be. "I'm tired and just want to go fly fishing. Can me please".

seems a bit douchey and you sound untrustworthy in your statement....to me anyways....why do Gailey that way?..just be a man and tell him up-front he's gone at the end of the year if that's what you plan to do anyways...not sure if other teams would be up-front and honest about coaches, but i could be wrong...otherwise sounds pretty good

Edited by Tsaikotic

No coach worth anything is going to entertain an interview in the middle of the season when they're busy preparing their own teams. That's just foolishness.

Isn't this tampering if done in-season?

Talk to Chan and tell him, friend or no friend, Dave Wannstedt needs to go! If you refuse to to fire him, then I'll fire the both of you!

Defenses are usually the first to learn all their plays, get them down and own the offense long before everything is learned on the O side of the ball. This defense isn't going to get better! As the season wears on other teams will have plenty of film to break down and it can only get worse from here.

Should Gailey fire Wannstedt then tell him to promote Bob Sanders to DC as interim. Then after the season look for the best DC I can find to hire because clearly Gailey is clueless about how to find a proper DC.

Tell Sanders I want to see the players on line moving around to maximize strengths vs weakness. Kyle Williams is a monster and you need to find the weakest position and move Williams there. The Bills need 3 more Kyle Williams! Have the line players run stunts to confuse who is rushing and who is in contain. I want to see more pressure on the QB, so if a safety blitz is needed, feel free to send a CB or safety. Take some notes on the Seahawks hybrid defensive scheme and copy them

http://www.nfl.com/n...nfls-best-units

Should Chan refuse to fire Wannstedt then promote Special Teams coach Bruce DeHaven to HC and Bob Sanders to DC, Curtis Modkins to run the offense.

Tell Gailey / Modkins I want most of the same plays Gailey calls to be used, only limit the offensive plays to around 25 of the ones Fitz doesn't screw up and throw an INT in. Go thru all the offensive plays this season and find the passing plays Fitz has difficulty with and don't use them. Also, direct the OC to have a more balanced attack in almost equal running plays vs passing plays. No more shotgun empty backfield sets as Spiller and Jackson are to valuable to the offense to not be on the the field or in the backfield. Keep running the spread offense and shotgun as the defense allows, but utilize play action more often. Utilize Scott Chandler as more of a pass receiver even if it means using 2-3 TE's in passing plays.

Instead of scouting I should be watching each game and breaking down film along with the coaches. If players are constantly screwing up, and or not being disciplined enough... then bench them. (Like Justin Rodgers) Look around on the waiver wire for replacements. There is a time for scouting and the regular NFL season is not it!

This off season evaluate the staff, If Gailey has a losing record he is gone. If Sanders didn't improve the defense to at least top 15 he is demoted to LBers coach or gone. Hire a new DC / HC as needed. Bill Cowher is my first choice, SF DC Vic Fangio would be my second choice.

a franchise QB, LB, #2 WR would be priorities in the draft and free agency, not 3 years from now either!

13-26 says Nix / Gailey .342 / Jauron 24-33 .421 / Tom Donahoe 31-48 .392 So both Jauron :sick: & Donahoe were better. Jauron and his Tampon 2, along with JP Losman & Trent Edwards at QB

Edited by Fear the Beard

Isn't this tampering if done in-season?

You'd have to ask permission from the team they're currently working for, and no team would give it. If you fired Chan or Wanny today the replacement is coming from within the organization.

Priority #1 - Get total autonomy in the running of the organization. No owner or other executive interference.

Priority #2 - Change the culture. This means firing Chan and Wannstedt. Interview current staff and look elsewhere to see who wants to implement a more attacking style defense. QB's are staying clean, that has to change. Our DB's might be able to cover if they aren't doing it for 4 or 5 seconds. Mandate that we have to run-blitz. The defense has to be the #1 priority.

Priority #3 - Change the offensive philosophy and play-calling. We need to get away from 5 wide sets and run the football. This accomplishes the following: it chews time and yardage, it keeps our defense off the field (hopefully) and it reduces the pressure on Fitz, which he cannot handle. We have to win the TOP, especially vs. the quick strike, defense deficient Patriots.

Priority #4 - Address next year's needs. First I clean house in the organization and find young people with energy and drive and ambition. Pour money into scouting. How many JPP's are out there that we miss? Short list top coordinators and find a Harbaugh or Tomlin that are well respected by players and flat-out winners.

Then I address personnel. QB and LB are two major areas of need. I'm all for drafting a top QB if we draft in the top 3, but LB is a serious area of need on this team. We need intense game changers on the defensive side of the ball. I do everything I can to keep our O-line intact, including adding one or two in the draft. However, my focus has to be adding some studs on defense. I'd also be looking at WR's who can complement Stevie.

As for QB, I cut Fitz at the end of the season and hand the keys to TJax or a rookie I have drafted. This is purely an economic move. I don't see TJax as an upgrade at all (though I need to see it to verify it), but he is the cheaper option.

Priority #5 - Limit the big splash FA signings. I know it's been 13 years since playoffs, but the team philosophy has to be to grow from within. Look at the Steeler's model, they have a "next man up" philosophy. I want that for my team.

The entire loser mentality has to change. That starts from the top down.

1. Clean out the coaching staff and the GM staff.

2. Call the Ryan brothers and see if they want to coach together. Or one as a GM and one as head coach.

3. If 2 is "no" see if Holmgren wants to be GM and Haslett wants to be head coach.

4. See what the market is for Dareus. Lucky for him the focus has been on Mario, cause he has sucked as well.

5. Trade Freddy to Packers, who are a running back away from a Super Bowl, and get a linebacker (or picks) in return. Sorry Freddy, but in the pros you are nothing but an asset.

6. If you get decent picks for Dareus and/or Freddy trade up to get your QB.

First order of business would be to fire Chan now. I would bring him in and tell him with the level of talent and horrible play calling at crucial points in the game is unacceptable. Then wanny goes too. After that I would make metzellars interim coach....end of season fitz gets his walking papers. Then its the hunt for a good.....hungry up and coming coordinator for head coach. 2013 draft...rd 1 best qb available.....rds 2 and 3 LB AND CORNER!!!!

No offense, but it would be beyond stupid to fire a coach of a team that is 3-4 and a game out of the division lead. Obviously, it feels like the end of the world but Nix isn't going to bail on Gailey at this point. A GM doesn't build a team all offseason only to give up on it before the halfway point. The best you could honestly hope for is for Wanny to get the boot and promote a coach to DC.

I will say that I mind try to see what the value of Fred Jackson and some older vets is around the league if the team continues to struggle.

during the bye week....

#1- i would fire Wanny....the 32nd ranked defense is flat out unacceptable.....if chan stood in the way, he could go too.

#2- i would cut thigpen, promote T. Jax to #2 and bring back Vince Young.

#3- i would extend Levitre & Wood right now.

#4- i would give up a 2nd for dwayne bowe.

Trade for a LB. This team can still make the playoffs in the weak AFC. There must be a team that has a veteran LB that is unlikely to make the playoffs.

There is, it's called the Bills. See Morrison, Kirk.

during the bye week....

#1- i would fire Wanny....the 32nd ranked defense is flat out unacceptable.....if chan stood in the way, he could go too.

#2- i would cut thigpen, promote T. Jax to #2 and bring back Vince Young.

#3- i would extend Levitre & Wood right now.

#4- i would give up a 2nd for dwayne bowe.

1) Who's the replacement?

2) I can get on board with T Jax but Young is garbage and brings nothing to the table expect being on Madden 2007.

3) 100% agreed

4) Putting big bucks into 2 receivers is bad cap managment. Receivers don't win championships. Our group is fine and you can always draft a guy last year. Receiver is not the reason this team is losing.

What would you do right now if you were GM and had the nerve to make the tough decisions. Please put thought in to it. Lets keep in mind fiscal responsibility and demographics. Later on I will give you my approach.

Fire myself for creating this disaster..

Edited by first_and_ten

I’d say (in my best Nix impression): “Look Chan, I brought you in here cuz I felt we approach the game the same way. But listen, if we’re trying to protect the lead in the fourth quarter and you’re throwing the ball when our backs are averaging 7 yards a clip and it costs us another game or sends us into unnecessary overtimes where our guys have the chance of getting hurt… I’m going to have to let you go at the end of the season. And I’ve paid for too much talent to have a defense perform this way. Everybody knows what we’re doing. I know Dave is your friend and menotr, but YOU are MY head coach. I didn’t hire one for each side of the ball. The responsibility is ultimately yours. You can’t just have the offense, it don’t work like that. You tell him to blitz. You tell him to disguise coverages. Let Merriman stand up if it works for him. Get the safeties and LBs to stop freezing in their tracks and get off blocks. And you tell that defensive line to show up on Sundays. Their job is to win one-on-ones and they are NOT doing it. I don’t want to be here having this conversation, but we got 9 games left and I think we can turn it around (not me saying this but Buddy). I just need more out of you and our guys and some better decision making or we’ll all be looking for work after this season. We won’t get another chance anywhere else I can promise you that. Alright let’s get to work.”

Wow that was great man well said !!!!

No offense, but it would be beyond stupid to fire a coach of a team that is 3-4 and a game out of the division lead. Obviously, it feels like the end of the world but Nix isn't going to bail on Gailey at this point. A GM doesn't build a team all offseason only to give up on it before the halfway point. The best you could honestly hope for is for Wanny to get the boot and promote a coach to DC.

I will say that I mind try to see what the value of Fred Jackson and some older vets is around the league if the team continues to struggle.

No offense taken .....valid points. But I will say some coaches do get fired mid season. I would have to look at all the records thou!