Notre Dame Football

PaattMaann

Any other fans out there?

This team looks pretty strong, defense is playing lights out...the rushing attack grows every week...and with a mobile QB who has made some good decisions, they could challenge for a title this year. It all starts with a HUGE matchup against Oklahoma on Saturday night...

Any other fans/college football fans, what do you see as the keys to this game? Obviously shutting down Oklahoma's 60 point offense is going to be a real challenge...but can Oklahoma be ran on? Or will this game have to be won via the air (that scares me?)

GO IRISH!!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of ND fans here (and the usual collection of whiner/haters).

Clearly they've exceeded expectations at 7-0 and have been more fun to watch than in several years, so it's already been a successful season. I don't think most ND fans realistically think they can run the table against that schedule. The QB situation is still the shortcoming and I expect will prove to be the difference against OU. They just can't move the ball well enough through the air and while you can use the running game exclusively to wear down a team like BYU, you need a balanced attack to beat top teams.

I agree with the strategy of developing Everett Golson, but he still has a long way to go before he's a top QB. Tommy Rees showed last week why he's better off the bench for a drive or two than starting and playing the whole game.

Go Irish!

BYU has an excellent defense, and I expected a 14-14 type of game...I was pleasantly suprised by the rushing attack (riddick), really hope the emphasis is on the passing game this week - as you mentioned, it needs to be to be in this game

keep it close and find a way to win! Thats my mantra

This team looks pretty strong, defense is playing lights out...the rushing attack grows every week...and with a mobile QB who has made some good decisions, they could challenge for a title this year. It all starts with a HUGE matchup against Oklahoma on Saturday night...

Any other fans/college football fans, what do you see as the keys to this game? Obviously shutting down Oklahoma's 60 point offense is going to be a real challenge...but can Oklahoma be ran on? Or will this game have to be won via the air (that scares me?)

GO IRISH!!!!

This game against Oklahoma scares the poop out of me. I think the Defense can hang with them, as long as they donn't revert to he first half against BYU defense with the mental mistakes.

The offense is what scares me. I am not sure it will be able to handle the Oklahoma defense.

That said. Mantai Tae'o might be my favorite player in all of football both college and pro.

Very excited and scared for the game Saturday. Passing game really needs to step up this week to compliment the run game. Been very pleasantly surprised by the defense this year considering the injuries they sustained early in the secondary (before the season even got going).

And I agree that Manti Te'o is one of my favorite players around. If the Bills can somehow get him in the first round, I would be a happy duck. I even have my Michigan fan best friend admit that Te'o would be the best pick for the Bills. Not often do you see a linebacker in the Heisman conversation.

And I agree that Manti Te'o is one of my favorite players around. If the Bills can somehow get him in the first round, I would be a happy duck.

I'm honestly torn on that one. The Bills desperately need a player like T'eo, but I really don't want to see such a good and likeable Domer risk wasting his career in Buffalo.

a side note....why do so many Samoans go to BYU?

I guess the Mormons got there first.

Edited by KD in CT

I third the idea about Te'o being my favorite FOOTBALL player, period...

a side note....why do so many Samoans go to BYU?

A good chunk of Samoans are of Mormon faith. Te'o is one of them. His family was looking forward to this game all year.

It's been a fun season to watch. I don't think they'll beat Oklahoma, but that's OK. If they beat USC and keep it to one or two losses the season is a great success.

Exactly. I think a lot of people don't understand Notre Dame and it's fans. If you went to a game in South Bend, you couldn't tell if they were 2-5 or 7-0. ND fans are just enjoying the ride and will still be thrilled with a 10 win season this year.

My future son-in-law played football for Oklahoma. We both have a mutual disgust for ND.

Why do OU fans have a disgust for ND? Still pissed about ND ending that OU winning streak back in the 50s?

In my daughter's words...as long as Landry "doesn't suck" the Sooners win this game. I'll be watching for her during College Game Day.

I read that he's been pretty good this year and may be working his way back up the draft charts. I'm looking forward to seeing him play against a good defense.

I read that he's been pretty good this year and may be working his way back up the draft charts. I'm looking forward to seeing him play against a good defense.

One 'horrible' game against a good K State team. Otherwise he's putting up decent numbers. I too am looking forward to seeing him play against the Irish. I think that this game will be a big test.

I wrote him off after last season, he just couldn't get it done without Broyles (really wanted the Bills to draft him). This game will be his final big test (outside of a bowl game), we'll see if he's up to the challenge.

GO IRISH!!!!

I'm taking my son and grandson to the Wake Forest game. We would have really liked a weekend where there was a hockey game as well. My son played hockey for th "Little Irish" at Aquinas in Rochester.

In this day and age, there's SEC football...and everyone else is a pretender.

And this is a complete fallacy brought to you by biased pollsters.

Enjoy that ND game a couple weeks ago, convict? :lol:

He's just in a pissy mood because his program is is in a long, slow slide into oblivion. the "U" is about to become largely irrelevant on the football field.

And this is a complete fallacy brought to you by biased pollsters.

....and the people who have made a fortune by perpetuating the myth.

He's just in a pissy mood because his program is is in a long, slow slide into oblivion. the "U" is about to become largely irrelevant on the football field.

About to?

Mine's not. 10:1 it's the usual "waah...they're always on TV, waaah.....they're always overrated, waah....Cleveland Gary was down, etc."

hahahahahaha, wellll...we can only hope he responds with his reason so we can know for sure...

drum roll please....................

hahahahahaha, wellll...we can only hope he responds with his reason so we can know for sure...

drum roll please....................

Hell, i don't like ND at all, and i'm even Irish Catholic. Never liked them. No one particular reason, but i do enjoy rooting against them. To me they're like the yankees, etc. But as i've grown, i realized that its better for college football when they're good. Plus, watching a 7-0 Nd team lose is much more satisfying than watching a 2-5 ND team lose.

Big win for the Irish today, and Im glad to see it. That team is the real deal, and they're fun to watch. If they can keep it up they deserve a shot at the title.

I think the computers will rank Kansas St over ND, but I think ND is the better team.

IMO, should be:

1. Alabama

2. Notre Dame

3. Kansas ST

4. Oregon

But both pale in comparison to watching 7-0 ND beat OU. :)

My heart rate is just now returning to normal.

Go Irish!

Man they've got a hell of a defense. That was a good win by them. And frankly they've got a better shot vs bama than someone like K-state.

Down with the (overrated) SEC.

Any ND fan that rips on Penn State while rooting for an institution supported by the Pedophile Catholic Church, is, to put it bluntly, a hypocrite.

quite different situations, but for the record, I dont rip on Penn State

Penn St. had a pedophile as a coach and covered up his molestation of children

Notre Dame is a catholic school...along with hundreds of others across the country, who have zero direct involvement with the molestation of children

I hate the fact that I even responded to your highly idiotic post

Any ND fan that rips on Penn State while rooting for an institution supported by the Pedophile Catholic Church, is, to put it bluntly, a hypocrite.

You sir are a ass.

Notre Dame is a catholic school...along with hundreds of others across the country, who have zero direct involvement with the molestation of children

But I thank you for putting that jackass in his place. I also wondered if it was worth the dignity of a reply

Man they've got a hell of a defense. That was a good win by them. And frankly they've got a better shot vs bama than someone like K-state.

Down with the (overrated) SEC.

Easy there, brother. :thumbsup:

It's nice to finally see some other teams and conferences are coming around to compete, but as the saying goes "If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man". Alabama is still a powerhouse and will be a tough team for whoever else makes it into the Championship. And while theyre not perfect, LSU, Georgia, and yes... Florida (sorry), are very strong teams.

But Im glad that the Big 12 came to compete this year. Finally making it a little more interesting. And it's good to see a program like ND become relevant again.

Well said

Easy there, brother. :thumbsup:

It's nice to finally see some other teams and conferences are coming around to compete, but as the saying goes "If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man". Alabama is still a powerhouse and will be a tough team for whoever else makes it into the Championship. And while theyre not perfect, LSU, Georgia, and yes... Florida (sorry), are very strong teams.

But Im glad that the Big 12 came to compete this year. Finally making it a little more interesting. And it's good to see a program like ND become relevant again.

'Bama is the only SEC team that isn't rated about 5-10 spots higher than they deserve to be. UGA, UF, LSU, Miss St, all of them are no better than teams from the supposed "lesser" conferences. None of those teams pass the eye test and/or are significantly better than the next 10 teams. UF has averaged less than 3 yards per offensive play in all of their games against "good" teams. LSU is downright awful. Miss St is garbage. I'm sick of all these teams getting a free pass to the top of the rankings just because they happen to play in the SEC, and we're all just supposed to assume the SEC is good without actually paying attention to how these teams look on the field.

Edited by Ramius

You sir are a ass.

But I thank you for putting that jackass in his place. I also wondered if it was worth the dignity of a reply

So you deny that the Catholic Church is an organization that systematically covered up the rape of THOUSANDS of children, and that the funding of Notre Dame is not sourced from the Catholic Church?

OK, well, good to see you have a firm grasp on reality. :lol:

So you deny that the Catholic Church is an organization that systematically covered up the rape of THOUSANDS of children, and that the funding of Notre Dame is not sourced from the Catholic Church?

OK, well, good to see you have a firm grasp on reality. :lol:

Didn't realize that Notre Dame was funded by the Roman Catholic Church. Not sure why tuition is 40k a year if they receive so much then...

'Bama is the only SEC team that isn't rated about 5-10 spots higher than they deserve to be. UGA, UF, LSU, Miss St, all of them are no better than teams from the supposed "lesser" conferences. None of those teams pass the eye test and/or are significantly better than the next 10 teams. UF has averaged less than 3 yards per offensive play in all of their games against "good" teams. LSU is downright awful. Miss St is garbage. I'm sick of all these teams getting a free pass to the top of the rankings just because they happen to play in the SEC, and we're all just supposed to assume the SEC is good without actually paying attention to how these teams look on the field.

Not sure how you can say that with so many teams from the Pac-10 and Big-12 listed in the Rankings, and representing even at the top of the list. Plus you have the independent Irish in the top 5, and even a pretty good showing from the ACC!

It's not like the Top 10 is 7 SEC teams and a couple of others.

I understand that is a change from the past few years, where the SEC seemingly dominated the rankings. But this is really the first year where we see equally competitive teams being stacked in other conferences. I'm happy to report that even as an "SEC homer", I find myself watching more Big 12, and other conference games this year because they are finally competitive.

Looking at the rankings, I'd say they are pretty accurate. You can nitpick Miss St vs a 2-loss USC at #17 and #18 all you want, it's not like Miss St doesnt belong there.

Didn't realize that Notre Dame was funded by the Roman Catholic Church.

Because it isn't.

FWIW, I think the football program at PSU got royally screwed so a whole bunch of stupid people could feel good about themselves. Much the same way the PSU guy in this thread is an idiot who is tossing a bunch of crap against the wall to try to feel better about himself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.