Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

And again, the Bills have the cheapest ticket prices in the league, no corporate community to speak of, and a demographic that does not support PSLs.

In other words, the stadium would have to have at least 70K seats in order to generate revenue from a volume model.

Increase prices accordingly on 55K seats to match the revenue of 70K cheaper seats. Smaller stadium is cheaper to build and less parking is needed

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increase prices accordingly on 55K seats to match the revenue of 70K cheaper seats. Smaller stadium is cheaper to build and less parking is needed

I'm sure many people have already done the math and that's why the number usually thrown around is in the 70s.

But for a very basic calculation (let the sharpshooting begin) The Ralph holds 73,079 for football and the average ticket price is $58.36. So revenue based on that is $4,264,890.

To get that amount of revenue from 55,000 seats would make the average ticket price $77.54.

That's a hefty 33% increase.

Perhaps it would work, perhaps it wouldn't.

I know that if I lived in Buffalo that I would probably pay the increase but I can only speak for myself.

Winning bid To keep them in The area almost certainly has be in conjunction with a regiOnalization/internationalization program with a stadium in the falls, and perhaps new team name too. I just dont see anyway the economics work for a Buffalo based team. Its naive to think otherwise and downright selfish for those trying to stand in the way of a falls option. If successful in thwarting that they'll just most likely cost the whole area a team

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm sure many people have already done the math and that's why the number usually thrown around is in the 70s.

But for a very basic calculation (let the sharpshooting begin) The Ralph holds 73,079 for football and the average ticket price is $58.36. So revenue based on that is $4,264,890.

To get that amount of revenue from 55,000 seats would make the average ticket price $77.54.

I know that if I lived in Buffalo that I would probably pay the increase but I can only speak for myself.

Have to figure out how many boxes would be in the new stadium, how many we have now. Not sure how they get that average tick price.

We would have to have a lot of $30 seats to off set my tickets at $90 and all the red seats and the inside seating. To me some thing dose not add up for that average.

I think 63,444 would be a good size with another 2,000 standing only.

Just saying.

Buffalo needs a shot in the arm, and this is the kind of thing that can be a catalyst for more developement

If the Bills are going to stay in Buffalo a new stadium is a must. There is no debatig this.. Why waste 100's of millions in upgrades to a the old stadium.. Time to move on... The NFL can help and Buffalo's waterfront is screaming for investment

If they keep playing this bad, they should all fall into a pit under the stadium and be forced to fight the Rancor! Maybe that will build some team unity...

Fitz would die first. He'd throw the rock at the Rancor's door controls and miss by 5 yards.

Damn is this smart. Seeing as how they got that rule about non public ownership though, how bout we give the $1B to TPEGs to buy the team, do the $200M upgrade, and make Terry sign a lease that is unbreakable for 40 years?..at which point i will no longer be walking this earth...so not really worried bout what happens after that LOL.

BING BING BING! This is exactly what I was thinking when I made the post. Terry as the owner and Kelly as the front man. But don't think the other NFL owners would go for it, sadly.

Have to figure out how many boxes would be in the new stadium, how many we have now. Not sure how they get that average tick price.

We would have to have a lot of $30 seats to off set my tickets at $90 and all the red seats and the inside seating. To me some thing dose not add up for that average.

I think 63,444 would be a good size with another 2,000 standing only.

Just saying.

You need to have a minimum of 70,000 seats to be considered to host a Superbowl. Yeah, hosting a Superbowl in Buffalo sounds like a pipe dream but so does this stadium. If one happens, why can't the other happen?

Maybe a higher ticket price would keep the drunken idiots out and make people appreciate the game more by having to pay more to be in a nice new stadium.

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority, but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

Absolutely...football is meant to be played outside

Maybe a higher ticket price would keep the drunken idiots out and make people appreciate the game more by having to pay more to be in a nice new stadium.

I'd be all for that.

I would like the Bills to have a domed stadium right by the water. I could get there using Rochester's Fast Ferry!

Might have trouble getting up the Falls, though.

Well there's always the Erie Canal mule team barge.

There has been a lot of talk this year about up grades to the Ralph & how to keep the Bills in Buffalo for the future , & now there is the talk of a new stadium being built on the outer banks of the harbor in B/lo . Which will keep the NFL happy as far as making the Bills a more sellable product like the Lions & others around the league .

If you read the article it states that investors are prepared to put up to 70% of the funding to build the new Stadium/museum/convention center , how much more could the county or state want ? Talk about a gift !

Plus how long has that land been sitting desolate with absolutely nothing happening on it for goodness sake give the land to them if they are willing to pay 70% of the cost . For the amount of tax influx that it will create !!!

The project is going to include 10000 construction jobs for 6 years + the amount of permanent jobs once the project is done + the amount of jobs that it will produce in changing the infrastructure as far as traffic & all other considerations will be a added incentive . Not to mention that the Bills will be staying put so those jobs will stay here along with all the other possibilities like super bowls , Basketball tournaments & other sporting events , not to mention the influx of Canadian business & just their presence to the other events to spend money ...

To me it's a no brainer , as they say a win win all the way around , for the state , the county & especially the city of Buffalo , but if this is looked at in the same vein as the Keystone pipeline from the democratic viewpoint they will just want to keep things the way they are so people can be more dependent on the gov't --- but that for a different blog & another discussion .

How can this not be put through ? If the county can do a lease for the next 6 years it will work out perfectly as far as timing & all . I know it is a large undertaking but it will bring so much to the downtown Buffalo area & revitalize so much more in the area !

I for one hope that more common sense is injected into this decision than most governmental decisions especially for our beloved Bills future !!

Along with that after our beloved patriarch RW passes on it will make the team look much more worthy to purchase & viable to the new owners . What you all think Bills fans ???

Edited by T master

I would.

Technically we are doing that every year anyways. We usually are no-shows for the late season games (and preseason) and those tickets are impossible to get to go, let alone pay for. I am assuming the team would be better so we would probably desire to go to more games.

There has been a lot of talk this year about up grades to the Ralph & how to keep the Bills in Buffalo for the future , & now there is the talk of a new stadium being built on the outer banks of the harbor in B/lo . Which will keep the NFL happy as far as making the Bills a more sellable product like the Lions & others around the league .

If you read the article it states that investors are prepared to put up to 70% of the funding to build the new Stadium/museum/convention center , how much more could the county or state want ? Talk about a gift !

Plus how long has that land been sitting desolate with absolutely nothing happening on it for goodness sake give the land to them if they are willing to pay 70% of the cost . For the amount of tax influx that it will create !!!

The project is going to include 10000 construction jobs for 6 years + the amount of permanent jobs once the project is done + the amount of jobs that it will produce in changing the infrastructure as far as traffic & all other considerations will be a added incentive . Not to mention that the Bills will be staying put so those jobs will stay here along with all the other possibilities like super bowls , Basketball tournaments & other sporting events , not to mention the influx of Canadian business & just their presence to the other events to spend money ...

To me it's a no brainer , as they say a win win all the way around , for the state , the county & especially the city of Buffalo , but if this is looked at in the same vein as the Keystone pipeline from the democratic viewpoint they will just want to keep things the way they are so people can be more dependent on the gov't --- but that for a different blog & another discussion .

How can this not be put through ? If the county can do a lease for the next 6 years it will work out perfectly as far as timing & all . I know it is a large undertaking but it will bring so much to the downtown Buffalo area & revitalize so much more in the area !

I for one hope that more common sense is injected into this decision than most governmental decisions especially for our beloved Bills future !!

Along with that after our beloved patriarch RW passes on it will make the team look much more worthy to purchase & viable to the new owners . What you all think Bills fans ???

Its a waste of time and won't happen because the economics don't work. Its still within the context of Buffalo a city with horrible economic and demographic trends. Putting a stadium there does nothing, it wont bring people from afar and doesnt change the buffalo economy a bit. If dumping a stadium anywhere were some miracle cure you could build one in the middle of no where and have it work. But it doesn't thats why that doesn't happen.

Regionalization/internationalization via a Niagara falls location is the only viable option. That package may not be enough to compete with an LA bidder but its the only one with a chance.

Didn't want to start a new thread but I was looking into what the Vikings might do in Minnesota and came across an interesting article on the costs associated with retractable roofs and sliding glass doors...

Bart Riberich, president of Minnesota-based Uni-Systems, which designed retractable roofs at the Cowboys, Lucas Oil and other stadiums, estimated that going from a fixed-roof plan to a retractable roof would require at least an additional $25 million.

The cost for a retractable feature alone, like a door or window, would be more like $5 million to $10 million, Riberich said.

In addition to retractable roofs in both stadiums, the Cowboys facility has large moving glass doors at both end zones and Indianapolis has a large window that opens toward the downtown business district, said Bryan Trubey, design principal at HKS.

Take a look if you're interested... also, the new stadium concepts designed by HKS in Minnesota look good.

http://www.twincitie...ct-be-announced

stadium-architect-cp.jpg

20120928__120929StadiumJP-bw.jpg

Edited by buffalobillsfootball