SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Since this thread is up, I guess I need to make my annual anti-Syracuse rant. How many SUNY schools does Jimmy B have lined up this year to pad his non-conference schedule? And let me guess, the farthest they travel is NYC unless it a conference game? Same thing every year.

Just some friendly ribbing, Go Bonnies!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this season. Checking in on current NBA SU alum is somewhat disheartening.

Carmelo - better than ever in NYC

Wes Johnson - languishing on the bench in PHO

Jonny Flynn - cut by DET before season

Fab Melo - sent to the D league by Bos

Kris Joseph - not playing but made BOS final roster

Hakim Warrick - 12th man in NO

Dion Waiters - surprise 4th overall pick starting and averaging 15 pts in CLE

Overall not a very good track record. Good to see Dion living up to his draft status so far, discouraged about Flynn and Johnson. Thought they had a chance to be good pros.

they better stock up on talent considering they start playing in a REAL bball conference soon....

GO DUKE

GO ACC

NC State is the best team in the ACC.

So it'll be 3 decent teams in the conference, and the rest will range from mediocre to garbage.

NC State is the best team in the ACC.

So it'll be 3 decent teams in the conference, and the rest will range from mediocre to garbage.

HA, funny joke...give an attempt at standup, you might have a future in it

the Big East is a Big Joke who are over rated and hyped because they are in the major media cities....terrible....

Jimmy Boheim can recruit thats for sure...how he cons those players into going to SU is beyond me...with that said, if Carmelo doesnt decide to one and done at SU that great coach Boheim would never have his national championship

so that tells me yea he gets great talent (most likely because they are just lazy kids who dont wanna play defense so they go and play that cup cake zone defense to get outta actually playing defense), he obviously fails where it counts, coaching and execution....but if Jimmy wants to come work recruiting for Duke when he decides to hang it up at SU (or they get tired of his act) I would gladly accept him in that role

Start your own thread you friggin front runner. ND football, Duke BB. How the hell did you end up rooting for the Bills?

my family came to WNY from different places, rooting for different teams....and none of them were Bills fans...so I made that mistake on my own

(and as far as front running is concerned....ND hasent been good in football since ive been a fan haha....why I root for Duke is b/c growing up I always wanted to go to school there - but I wasent smart enough nor rich enough....so ill always just be a poser....)

Yankees fan ?

Redsox fan - majority of family came from Boston - the others Indiana

but your right...ill get outta this thread.....enjoy your cute little Syracuse basketball season

Duke, just like every year : )

NC State is going to be the best team in the ACC this year. Syracuse & Pitt for that matter will both hold their own when they get to the ACC next year. The last 5-7 years the Big East has been a better basketball league from top to bottom then the ACC.

As far as Duke, it will be the same old story with them. They will go as far as their perrimeter 3 point shooting takes them.

Pooj, I am pumped for Sunday to see Xmas and Coleman on the floor together. I cannot believe Coleman's size for a Frosh.

On a side note, I caught that UK all access on espn and was completely impressed with Nerlens Noel. So wish we could have gotten that one and done.

Pooj, I am pumped for Sunday to see Xmas and Coleman on the floor together. I cannot believe Coleman's size for a Frosh.

On a side note, I caught that UK all access on espn and was completely impressed with Nerlens Noel. So wish we could have gotten that one and done.

He was looking at Syracuse because he is friends with Carter Williams. I was at the game he attended and sat a row behind him (and his huge flat top). Boeheim went ballistic on Carter Williams who proceeded to yell back at him and Hopkins had to separate them. Talked to my friends who watched on TV and they never mentioned it as it was during a timeout and probably commercial. Anyway Noel left immediately after this happened (knew he wasn't coming as soon as I saw his reaction) and it also was when Carter Williams picked up his spot on the bench for the rest of the season.

He was looking at Syracuse because he is friends with Carter Williams. I was at the game he attended and sat a row behind him (and his huge flat top). Boeheim went ballistic on Carter Williams who proceeded to yell back at him and Hopkins had to separate them. Talked to my friends who watched on TV and they never mentioned it as it was during a timeout and probably commercial. Anyway Noel left immediately after this happened (knew he wasn't coming as soon as I saw his reaction) and it also was when Carter Williams picked up his spot on the bench for the rest of the season.

That is interesting about Noel. He seems like a huge talent that comes with a huge ego. And if we can keep Coleman for more than a year than I would rather have that anyway. I love the start of SU basketball because it takes away the sting of 12 years of Buffalo bills losing. It is about this time of year that they have played their way out of relevance.

Chris McCullough is Orange.

Isaiah Whitehead (2014 4 star SG) to follow shortly. Also, Tyler Roberson (2013 4 star PF) will be making his decision this week. It's between SU and Nova right now, but it is believed that he is a 'cuse lean right now.

BTW...there is an outside chance that McCollough could reclassify to 2013. What a class that would be with McCullough, Ennis, Patterson, Obokoh, Johnson!!

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

That is interesting about Noel. He seems like a huge talent that comes with a huge ego. And if we can keep Coleman for more than a year than I would rather have that anyway. I love the start of SU basketball because it takes away the sting of 12 years of Buffalo bills losing. It is about this time of year that they have played their way out of relevance.

Boy Coleman looks good. I do worry that he lets people by so he can get a block but it's preseason and he has some maturing so I'm not to concerned yet.

As for the Noel story, I was amazed about 5-6 years ago I finally started having enough money to not sit in the 300s and to see Boeheim's interactions with his players, he's kind of a dick lol. He is non stop yelling sometimes to the point of stomping his feet. Seems that some players end up in the dog house and have a very hard time working out of it. That said he is a great coach I just was taken aback from his mannerisms as I never had noticed. My perspective really changed when I could see what I wanted and not what the cameras showed. Now I attend at least 10 games a year bc it is so much better than tv!

Boy Coleman looks good. I do worry that he lets people by so he can get a block but it's preseason and he has some maturing so I'm not to concerned yet.

As for the Noel story, I was amazed about 5-6 years ago I finally started having enough money to not sit in the 300s and to see Boeheim's interactions with his players, he's kind of a dick lol. He is non stop yelling sometimes to the point of stomping his feet. Seems that some players end up in the dog house and have a very hard time working out of it. That said he is a great coach I just was taken aback from his mannerisms as I never had noticed. My perspective really changed when I could see what I wanted and not what the cameras showed. Now I attend at least 10 games a year bc it is so much better than tv!

He must be different in the locker room and practice. How much of an ass kicking do you think Scoop received over the 6 years he played?

He must be different in the locker room and practice. How much of an ass kicking do you think Scoop received over the 6 years he played?

It actually seemed like he and scoop had a good relationship. One that was relied on from time to time to help with Waiters. Please don't mistake my post (not sure if you even are) I think he is an amazing coach I just didn't realize what a no-nonsense hard ass he was until I saw them play live. Paul Harris on the other hand... didn't seem like such a warm relationship.

Coleman, Grant & Cooney all MIA now the SU is actually playing a DI team. Triche, Fair and MCW are goin to carry the team offensively. Southerland will get his touches as well. Guessing Boeheim had 43 on the bench because nobody can shoot on that boat. I was hoping for more from the freshmen...

Edited by inkman

Coleman, Grant & Cooney all MIA now the SU is actually playing a DI team. Triche, Fair and MCW are goin to carry the team offensively. Southerland will get his touches as well. Guessing Boeheim had 43 on the bench because nobody can shoot on that boat. I was hoping for more from the freshmen...

Grant & Cooney played a bit in the first half, and Coleman started.

Coleman started the 2nd half as well, I think.

Looking forward to them playing indoors again.

Grant & Cooney played a bit in the first half, and Coleman started.

Coleman started the 2nd half as well, I think.

Looking forward to them playing indoors again.

The freshmen may have gotten some time but if you blinked you missed it. Total non factors.

Game wasn't on live here (am tivoing a replay tonight).

From the 20 second of espn highlights, looked like christmas was solid, is that right?

Wouldn't read too much into the freshmen not playing much, since this was a game against a ranked opponent. Maybe will be worked in more during the creampuff games. Cooney is going to have to play a lot given the lack of depth at guard.

Also, how was the defense?

Game wasn't on live here (am tivoing a replay tonight).

From the 20 second of espn highlights, looked like christmas was solid, is that right?

Wouldn't read too much into the freshmen not playing much, since this was a game against a ranked opponent. Maybe will be worked in more during the creampuff games. Cooney is going to have to play a lot given the lack of depth at guard.

Also, how was the defense?

Really didn't get much from any of the bigs. Coleman barely played (although his reaction after an early tip-in was classic), and Christmas was pretty much a non-factor offensively.

I thought that SDSU got inside pretty well, but they were clearly bothered by SU's length. We must have had a dozen or so blocks.

I have a feeling that Cooney is going to be Boeheim's 2012-3 whipping boy.

Christmas may have been a non-factor offensively but he controlled the lane on D. Was swatting everything. Keita and Fair played big as well. SDSU just didn't have the length to compete inside. That will change drastically during conference play. SDSU is clearly a perimeter oriented team that was rendered useless with the outdoor conditions. They may be a ranked team but they didn't play like it yesterday.

I think that it is really tough to get an kind of accurate gauge of the team from this game. The conditions were terrible, even hard to watch on TV because of the wind and the sun. A few of my thoughts -

1. Need to see more Coleman, not sure why he got the early hook in both halfs

2. MCW needs to slow down and let the offense develop, he seemed to be pressing/hurrying and it created a lot of TO's

3. Triche is a beast, he will have the ball at the end of games this yeaer

4. Xmas and all our bigs looked enormous out there and controlled the paint

5. So many foul calls, and not many for the Cuse

6. SDSU has a very athletic team, they will be good this year especially in the conference they play in. But the Cuse made them look terrible - we have a talented team and Jimmy needs to be the one to put that together and make it work.

7. I hope this is the last game Cuse plays on a boat...get back to the dome.

8. Seth Davis commented on twitter that a bunch of scouts noticed Coleman as being the most NBA ready prospect from either team in practices this week - thought that was interesting.

Hammersticks - see what I meant about the shooting in today's game?

Yeah, You were absolutely right. I don't recall this being as much of a factor last year with UNC vs Mich St. In any event, the game was a complete sham, and these aircraft carrier games should NEVER happen again. Especially a top 20 matchup!!

In other Cuse recruiting news....Noah Vonleh committed to Indiana over the wekend, and Tyler Roberson is expected to commit to Villanova by week's end. Would have been nice to bring in another strong PF for 2013, but by all accounts, we still have a shot at Jermaine Lawrence (2013 5 star PF) who will announce in the spring. Depends a lot on which (if any) players leave for the draft after this year (i.e., Rak Christmas, CJ Fair, Dujuan Coleman, MCW).

The biggest prizes left out there are recently reclassified Andrew Wiggins (2013 SF, #1 overall prospect) and Dakari Johnson (2013 C, #12 overall prospect). I really think we have a decent chance at landing one of them.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I can't fathom how Christmas or Coleman are anywhere near ready for the NBA but Harris and Melo left early so who knows. Fair, if he puts together a spectacular season and MCW only if he gets some bad advice, would leave early.