SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to see MCW play up to the hype he gets. I've only seen the Temple game this year and obviously that was a stinker. But I watched him quite a bit last year and was not impressed. I know he's still young, but I just don't see it in him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Dude!! That was his one bad game tis year. He's flat out dominated everyone. Not to mention # 1 inte country in assists and #2 in steals. He's doing something right. There's no comparison to last year. He might best the best PG in the country and most likely a lottery pick in the draft right now.

Dude!! That was his one bad game tis year. He's flat out dominated everyone. Not to mention # 1 inte country in assists and #2 in steals. He's doing something right. There's no comparison to last year. He might best the best PG in the country and most likely a lottery pick in the draft right now.

Ok, but that competition was:

San Diego St.

Wagner

Princeton

Colgate

Arkansas

E. Michigan

Long Beach St.

Monmouth

Canisius

Detroit

I'll keep watching.

Edited by gringo starr

He'll probably need to when MCW leaves for the NBA.

Hopefully not with the continued development of Cooney and the addition of Duke transfer Michael Gbinjie and frosh Ron Patterson. Plus, I still think we have an outside shot at 2013 combo guard Rysheed Jordan.

There is no doubt about MCW's skill...probably the best SU point guard since Flynn (probably better). I do question his ability, however, to play with discipline and demonstrate leadership. I have to remind myself sometimes that he basically is a freshman...he only played about 270 total minutes last season.

A lot of doom and gloom around here lately. Watched yesterday's game on ESPN3, and granted it was against power house Central Connecticut State, but the team really seemed to put things back together. It all started with MCW who looked like his old self again. I believe he was one rebound shy of a triple-double. MCW also was light's out from behind the arc. Dujuan Coleman is starting to look more comfortable IMO, as he played well in his 20 minutes scoring 13 points (3-5 from the charity stripe). Jerami Grant also made good use of his minutes.

Trevor Cooney had that deer in headlights look again, as he was 2-8 from the field for 6 shaky points. The defense looked slow and sloppy in the early going, as the grossly undersized CCSU squad picked apart the zone, moving the ball well and finding good shots. That was short lived, however, as JB seemed to have the defense tightened up by the end of the 1st half. Syracuse should have a decent test this Wednesday when the 9-2 Scarlet Knights come to the dome. They have a pesky guard in Eli Carter who will likey be in MCW's hip pocket for the entire game.

Anyway....still have faith that JB will bring this team together....if not, however, Autry and Hop have been doing a great job on the recruiting trail.

Here's 2014 committ, 5 star SF Chris McCullough (ranked 12 overall by ESPN). McCullough is probably Syracuse's best recruit since Carmelo Anthony. Definitely a one-and-done type of kid. Enjoy, and GO ORANGE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4WJ4WDAOkc

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

#903 for Coach Boeheim....game started slowly, then the Cuse took over. Congrats Coach Boeheim!!!

All year they start out slow and then bang! Up by 15!

Great game and a good statement to make to the Big East. I was at the game so I don't know his name but #5 from Rutgers was on fire to begin the game and I had visions of Temple all over again. Luckily that wasn't the case. MCW had a bit of a gunner attitude at the beginning of the game and I actually liked that he was trying to exert some dominance. Absolutely love Grant on the floor and Christmas I thought played well. This was a game to me that the length really played a factor. Christmas and Keita were very active on defense and it was great to see.

All year they start out slow and then bang! Up by 15!

Great game and a good statement to make to the Big East. I was at the game so I don't know his name but #5 from Rutgers was on fire to begin the game and I had visions of Temple all over again. Luckily that wasn't the case. MCW had a bit of a gunner attitude at the beginning of the game and I actually liked that he was trying to exert some dominance. Absolutely love Grant on the floor and Christmas I thought played well. This was a game to me that the length really played a factor. Christmas and Keita were very active on defense and it was great to see.

I think Grant is going to start stealing minutes away from Southerland as the season progresses. Didn't see the game, but I hear he played pretty well. It has to be difficult for him to find any type of rhythm...especially with shooting. Heard Christmas was a beast on defense. Also, this is the type of effort we are going to need from Brandon Triche (consistently) if we are going to do anything this season.

tough scrappy win for 'Cuse today in South Florida. But for the majority of the game they had the game in hand but could never really put the game away. Keita and Rak were in foul trouble yet still no sign of coleman in the second half and jerami grant only seemed to play in the first half... a conference road win is still a huge win,

Maybe it's just me, but I am not loving MCW's game. He seems to get really sloppy, and then force passes and shots. I know he maybe had an off game today against S. Florida, but I haven't really been enjoying this team play with MCW running the show.

Kinda wish Triche got more minutes at the point, and the offense went through Triche and Fair on more possessions.

Maybe it's just me, but I am not loving MCW's game. He seems to get really sloppy, and then force passes and shots. I know he maybe had an off game today against S. Florida, but I haven't really been enjoying this team play with MCW running the show.

Kinda wish Triche got more minutes at the point, and the offense went through Triche and Fair on more possessions.

I think all the media praise had gotten to MCW and now he was overthinking his game instead of just letting it flow naturally. Yesterday actually seemed like he was starting to come back around. Not all the way mind you, but it was better than it had been the last few games previously.

And I would also think the shoplifting scandal got in his head too. The further away that recedes into the background the better.

I think all the media praise had gotten to MCW and now he was overthinking his game instead of just letting it flow naturally. Yesterday actually seemed like he was starting to come back around. Not all the way mind you, but it was better than it had been the last few games previously.

And I would also think the shoplifting scandal got in his head too. The further away that recedes into the background the better.

I think you are dead on. Everything seems forced and over-thought. He also doesn't need to always make the hard pass.

He was trying to score, to show the NBA scouts that he can do so, IMO. He needs to think "team first" - he had Triche open a few times yesterday (including once on a 2-on-1), and opted to hold on to the ball.

I threw a fit on the 2-1. Super selfish and stupid--which is not characteristic of MCW.

Missed the last couple games...MCW seems to be getting grilled a lot. Almost impossible to understand how they're boatracing these teams even if they're not very good because they have zero post game (I understand Triche has played well). Unfortunately the next couple games aren't on tv either, meh.

Defense is ranked #1 in the country on kenpom now, so i'm sure that helps.

Missed the last couple games...MCW seems to be getting grilled a lot. Almost impossible to understand how they're boatracing these teams even if they're not very good because they have zero post game (I understand Triche has played well). Unfortunately the next couple games aren't on tv either, meh.

Defense is ranked #1 in the country on kenpom now, so i'm sure that helps.

Tonights game is on MASN and ESPN 3

Tonights game is on MASN and ESPN 3

Watched some of it online. Apparently the Nova game is on my ABC affiliate so that works.

CJ Fair beasting.

Still not looking like an elite team but I don't know who is besides Duke maybe. Kansas gets help from the refs and a banked 3 to win at home.

So Southerland is out for at least today's game due to academic eligibility issues.

We've already had the MCW saga, and now this. What would college BB season be without stupidity/drama at The Hill?

Its always someone, at least the past handful of seasons. Southerland this season, Melo last year, then of course there were Devendorf's 3 years on campus just waiting for him to get arrested for something....Scoop being Scoop before he grew up out of nowhere....

These kids aren't doing much different than I was doing in college. Hopefully its not a season ender...but my 'source' :-) tells me otherwise. Nice to see life from Coleman, Grant & Cooney. Tough stretch ahead.

Its always someone, at least the past handful of seasons. Southerland this season, Melo last year, then of course there were Devendorf's 3 years on campus just waiting for him to get arrested for something....Scoop being Scoop before he grew up out of nowhere....

I hope MCW does not think he is going pro after this year. He needs some experience. I thought he had some bad turnovers today and the last 3 minutes he was horrible. I think he tends to dish once he drives inside when most times he is so close he just needs to finish strong.

Freshmen got some minutes today. Was hoping Christmas would be more involved in the offense but was not

These kids aren't doing much different than I was doing in college. Hopefully its not a season ender...but my 'source' :-) tells me otherwise. Nice to see life from Coleman, Grant & Cooney. Tough stretch ahead.

Unfortunately, my "sources" are also telling me otherwise. Southy may be lost for the season. I can't believe he would allow something to happen during his senior season! A freshman I can understand to some degree, but this is just inexcusable. I'm optimistic that this is just going to open the door for Jerami Grant to become a major contributor. I think he's ready.

I hope MCW does not think he is going pro after this year. He needs some experience. I thought he had some bad turnovers today and the last 3 minutes he was horrible. I think he tends to dish once he drives inside when most times he is so close he just needs to finish strong.

Freshmen got some minutes today. Was hoping Christmas would be more involved in the offense but was not

If you think MCW isn't ready to leave for the NBA you're insane. Yes, his play is erratic at times, he is widely regarded as the best PG in all of college basketball. Remember, the NBA drafts on potential....not necessarily on how "NBA ready" a player is at the time. If MCW stays for another season it will be his decision alone....not because NBA people are telling him he's not ready.

Was thinking the same thing.

MCW's game reminds me of the peak of my bb career in middle school. I would just drive, and if another defender came to help, would slip the ball to the open guy. That was pretty effective, until everyone started getting taller! MCM obviously does more than that, but that's a lot of his game.

My bigger concern with him is he is a very inconsistent outside shooter. Not sure I've seen him hit outside shots with any consistency. Tough to survive in the NBA without a steady jump shot.

Glad to see the freshmen get some minutes. We're going to really need Grant if Southerland is out for a while.

Unfortunately, my "sources" are also telling me otherwise. Southy may be lost for the season. I can't believe he would allow something to happen during his senior season! A freshman I can understand to some degree, but this is just inexcusable.

Do you have a sense as to whether this is just an academic issue? Such a shame. I have been a JS supporter from the moment he stepped onto campus, and this was finally his time to shine.

btw, I can see him catching onto an NBA squad, especially if he can bulk up a little bit.

Do you have a sense as to whether this is just an academic issue? Such a shame. I have been a JS supporter from the moment he stepped onto campus, and this was finally his time to shine.

btw, I can see him catching onto an NBA squad, especially if he can bulk up a little bit.

From what I can gather, most folks seem to think that this is a minor academic infraction like a missing assignment/incomplete class form the fall semester. If this is true, Southy is likely to miss a few more games while he takes care of his business and goes through the appeals process. This is best case scenario. There are those out there who suspect that there may be something greater involved...like violation of school rules or some kind of violation surfacing from his prep school days. It is encouraging, however, that we haven't seen his name in the police blotter and that he was on the bench (in street clothes) for the Nova game.

JB said "I am hopeful" that he returns soon. This to me is slightly encouraging, as JB is usually pretty tight-lipped about these things. Typically, he would say something to the effect of "I can't discuss the details of that situation at this time." I'm kinda grasping at straws here....really want Southy to come back.

boeheim says it might be something that can be resolved...lets keep our fingers crossed

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/01/jim_boeheim_says_james_souther.html#incart_m-rpt-2

From what I can gather, most folks seem to think that this is a minor academic infraction like a missing assignment/incomplete class form the fall semester. If this is true, Southy is likely to miss a few more games while he takes care of his business and goes through the appeals process. This is best case scenario. There are those out there who suspect that there may be something greater involved...like violation of school rules or some kind of violation surfacing from his prep school days. It is encouraging, however, that we haven't seen his name in the police blotter and that he was on the bench (in street clothes) for the Nova game.

JB said "I am hopeful" that he returns soon. This to me is slightly encouraging, as JB is usually pretty tight-lipped about these things. Typically, he would say something to the effect of "I can't discuss the details of that situation at this time." I'm kinda grasping at straws here....really want Southy to come back.

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44

Charges against Roger Springfield allege that he recorded athletes in the shower and locker room at Syracuse University. 108 victims alleged

DA: Police recovered video and photos from Springfield's computer. No evidence that there was any sexual contact or dissemination of images.

DA says Roger Springfield appears on the videos themselves, setting up the cameras. He used tape to cover the red recording light.

DA: 108 male athletes from the soccer, lacrosse & football teams were recorded at the Carrier Dome. The cameras were set at waist-level.

District Attorney says his office is actively looking for the athletes to inform them of the crimes.

Police: SU Athletics employee noticed a large video file from the locker room and notified superiors.

WOW....that is majorly messed up....

Charges against Roger Springfield allege that he recorded athletes in the shower and locker room at Syracuse University. 108 victims alleged

DA: Police recovered video and photos from Springfield's computer. No evidence that there was any sexual contact or dissemination of images.

DA says Roger Springfield appears on the videos themselves, setting up the cameras. He used tape to cover the red recording light.

DA: 108 male athletes from the soccer, lacrosse & football teams were recorded at the Carrier Dome. The cameras were set at waist-level.

District Attorney says his office is actively looking for the athletes to inform them of the crimes.

Police: SU Athletics employee noticed a large video file from the locker room and notified superiors.

Possble reason why Southy is on the bench? Notre Dame Prep (Southerland's prep school) under investigation by the NCAA. Might be a stretch, but interesting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--ncaa-investigating-basketball-powerhouse-prep-school.html

The NCAA is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into Notre Dame Preparatory School just weeks after declaring two Class of 2012 basketball recruits from the school academically ineligible to play college ball this year, Yahoo! Sports has learned.