How can a QB underperform with such a gifted O-line?

Another thread about the QB when the defense just gave up 600+ yards to a running team :doh:

Chan Gailey has been trying to magically transform a backup QB into Tom Brady and it isn't working, It never worked and it never will. The Bills have a good O line on the left side and sub par right side. The ONLY reason the O line looks half way decent is because Fitz can get rid of the ball so quickly.

Wanna blame it all on the QB,,,ok go ahead. Yet its the HC who keeps calling for shotgun 4-5 WR passing plays with only one good WR, and a back up QB.

I don't think anyone is blaming it all on the QB, the defense was legendarily putrid, I mean like in the record books, putrid. But with that said, if the defense came out and played the best game of the year they still would have lost-we scored 3 points! Not making excuses for the defense, if the offense came out and looked like the old K-Gun we still lose, but you can't pin it all on the defense anymore then you can pin it all on the QB/offense.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OFFENSE:

i think our original starting five O-line is very good. once injuries hit, not so much.

i am no longer a fitz supporter, he just throws a lousy deep ball, which for me, is a deal killer. time to move on.

DEFENSE:

i blame wanny most, then our LB's.

Another thread about the QB when the defense just gave up 600+ yards to a running team :doh:

Chan Gailey has been trying to magically transform a backup QB into Tom Brady and it isn't working, It never worked and it never will. The Bills have a good O line on the left side and sub par right side. The ONLY reason the O line looks half way decent is because Fitz can get rid of the ball so quickly.

Wanna blame it all on the QB,,,ok go ahead. Yet its the HC who keeps calling for shotgun 4-5 WR passing plays with only one good WR, and a back up QB.

Yes they gave up a ton of pts and yards because the offense finds new and inventive ways to give the ball away. It's like they're in a race to punt it, fumble it or throw an INT. You can't ask the defense to do everything.How would you feel as a defensive player if you're continually trying to defend a 3pt outing? What are you supposed to do? You've stopped the opposing teams offense a few times and you put the ball in your O's hands and they give it right back or punt it. That has to be demoralizing to a point.

the O Line was very solid. - IIRC they've lost 2 - 3 starters in the last 2 weeks.

Depth was not as solid

Just looked at an injury report

Cordy Glenn T OUT Ankle

Kraig Urbik G OUT Ankle

Chad Rinehart G Questionable Calf

Colin Brown G Injured-Rese Hamstring

Scott Chandler TE Probable Head - Putrids hit not flagged

Donald Jones WR Probable Head

David Nelson WR Injured-Rese Torn right ACL

Ruvell Martin WR Questionable Ankle

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The Oline is one of the reasons I've given up my support of Fitz - there has been times when Bills QBs have been pretty bad but I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Oline was a train wreck and the receivers couldn't get a step of separation- this is not one of those times -Fitz has been given very good protection and his receivers have been open he just can't hit them unless they are in the center portion of the field within 20-25 yards.

I think it's worse than not helping, he broke Fitz. I was a big Fitz fan, even during his slide last year. But now there is nothing to defend. I have to think a huge chunk of the blame has to lie with Lee. Maybe he is overthinking his motions or whatever, I don't know. All I know is they have to put Lee back under that rock they found him under.

Or, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

the O Line was very solid. - IIRC they've lost 2 - 3 starters in the last 2 weeks.

Depth was not as solid

Just looked at an injury report

Cordy Glenn T OUT Ankle

Kraig Urbik G OUT Ankle

Chad Rinehart G Questionable Calf

Colin Brown G Injured-Rese Hamstring

Scott Chandler TE Probable Head - Putrids hit not flagged

Donald Jones WR Probable Head

David Nelson WR Injured-Rese Torn right ACL

Ruvell Martin WR Questionable Ankle

What happened to Ruvell? Did he trip in the buffet line?

Yes they gave up a ton of pts and yards because the offense finds new and inventive ways to give the ball away. It's like they're in a race to punt it, fumble it or throw an INT. You can't ask the defense to do everything.How would you feel as a defensive player if you're continually trying to defend a 3pt outing? What are you supposed to do? You've stopped the opposing teams offense a few times and you put the ball in your O's hands and they give it right back or punt it. That has to be demoralizing to a point.

I don't think anyone is blaming it all on the QB, the defense was legendarily putrid, I mean like in the record books, putrid. But with that said, if the defense came out and played the best game of the year they still would have lost-we scored 3 points! Not making excuses for the defense, if the offense came out and looked like the old K-Gun we still lose, but you can't pin it all on the defense anymore then you can pin it all on the QB/offense.

My take is almost everyone in this thread IS blaming the QB!

What about the running game to help out the QB and defense. The Bills have two star RB's in CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson, and wth happened to the running game? The Bills had one fumble and one INT in the game and put up 200 yards of offense. The Bills were getting 4.7 yards per carry running it and yet kept calling for pass plays. It was the same as it was against the Patriots, the D played a decent first half and then gave up 4 TD's in the 2nd half.

The 49ers a a freaking ground and pound running team and they opened up their passing game and just threw to whomever, whenever! 300 yards passing and 3 TD's for Alex Smith.

A holding penalty on Byrd wiped out a special teams TD by Leodis.

The defense set an NFL record for the first ever defense to give up 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing...but just keep blaming the QB!

I'm blaming Chan Gailey for not running the ball more and for allowing Dave Wannstooge to still have a job. The entire team sucked!

Edited by Fear the Beard

Fitz needs a new nickname

How about "Flacid armed Fitzpatrick"?

CBF

Picksfuctrik?

the reason the oline doesn't give up a lot of sacks is because fitz has great pocket awareness and gets rid of the ball fast. If trent, JP, or RJ were still here, this oline would be giving up 5 sacks per game.

Yes this is the point. We want a qb that gets it out fast AND throws it to another player.....on his own team....in a place where it can be caught most of the time.....

It's well understood that while he sux slightly less than the aforementioned train wrecks the goal is not to margainally improve.

if i may?

And of course i will.

Ryan is missing the passes. Making the right reads but his mechanics still suck. Thats his biggest flaw IMO. He does misread but they all do. He has not capitalized on mismatches when he sees them and open players when he doesn't. I wish he was better. This year seems to be his worsening.

I agree with the first part but if the defense played the best game of the year we would have scored a lot more points. Our offense would have had the ball more times and with presumably better field position as well as the probability of the defense scoring some points themselves. Plus the team would be a lot more energized and Fitz has a tendency to play much better when he's comfortable and if the D was playing the best game of the year I would think he would be a lot more comfortable than he is when he's down by 20 points.

I don't think you should pin it entirely on the defense but and last week I was ready to put a big portion of the blame on the offense with all the 3 and outs/turnovers, but after this game I am of the opinion that the Bills defense is definitely the primary problem with the team.

Yes this is the point. We want a qb that gets it out fast AND throws it to another player.....on his own team....in a place where it can be caught most of the time.....

It's well understood that while he sux slightly less than the aforementioned train wrecks the goal is not to margainally improve.

I wasn't exactly defending fitz. Just wanted to point out that our oline is not that good. Fitz makes them look good.