Baseball playoffs

KD in CA

How many times do I have to explain it. Almost every year in the last decade or so, the Sox and Yanks were both going to make the playoffs. There wasn't enough of a difference between the div winner and the WC, so nobody cared what they actually got.........And, the Yanks were even accused of trying to get the wild card instead of the division championship because they matched up better with whoever was the #1 seed.

Now it really does matter who is a CHAMPION and who is a wild card. Regular season matters - you should be a champion! But, even if you're not, it kept a lot more people interested because their teams had a shot at the wild card. You still would want that over not being in the playoffs, just ask the Cards and O's who are still playing, despite being the 2nd wild cards.

So now you're saying it's good because it keeps more people interested seeing I pointed out that you are completely wrong about the stakes now being higher.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You love that ridiculous sport of soccer. I have heard that the regular season champs in those Euro leagues are celebrated as much, if not more, than the playoff champions. Is that true? If so, I would think you'd give more creedance to winning a regular season championship

lol...that's a low blow!!!

EDIT: I think Chef is pointing out that your argument is sort of all over the place. That's what I was sort of getting at too.

Edited by ajzepp

OK, leave out the word ridiculous. Is it true or not? I've heard they do.

The champions league is the epitome of European club soccer, yep. But it's not only the winners of the national leagues that qualify for the champs league...in some of the leagues (like the German and English premier leagues) they take the top few teams, I believe.

Seriously, I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

If you don't think the stakes are higher when you are going to go into a one game do or die vs. a five game series, you don't really get it.

The stakes are higher IF you're in the one game playoff. During the regular season the stakes are lower because you have a better chance of making it to the playoffs. You said the stakes are higher during the regular season which they are NOT because you have better odds of making the playoffs with 5 teams vs 4 teams getting in. So based on that your premise of the regular season stakes being higher now are 100% wrong.

The stakes are higher in the fact that you better win your division or else face a do or die situation. Wild cards in the past had it made.

I probably haven't mentioned this yet, though. Or maybe I did about 15 times. If you don't believe me about what's been on with Sox/Yanks for about 10-12 years, look it up.............Talk about cooked up enthusiasm. They're trying to get me to care who wins their end of the season series when I know both teams are getting in............Now, yeah, they are still both getting in, but one in a very precarious way.

The stakes are higher in the fact that you better win your division or else face a do or die situation. Wild cards in the past had it made.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I agree.

I think you guys should keep discussing this. It's clear you're eventually going to agree.

:P

I probably haven't mentioned this yet, though. Or maybe I did about 15 times. If you don't believe me about what's been on with Sox/Yanks for about 10-12 years, look it up.............Talk about cooked up enthusiasm. They're trying to get me to care who wins their end of the season series when I know both teams are getting in............Now, yeah, they are still both getting in, but one in a very precarious way.

But now two teams fighting for one wild card spot is much less important the final week, if they have to go head to head regardless.

You just like saying do or die.

(Just giving you a hard time)

Edited by NoSaint

Meanwhile on the baseball diamond.....the O's just don't look ready for primetime. Bad defense, bad baserunning and their big hitters have done nothing all series. I'll be floored if the Yankees don't close this out tonight.

I turned on the Nats game after dinner just in time for Werth's homer; that's some pitching matchup for game 5 in that series.

Posey has been amazing this year.....I don't think postseason factors into the regular season MVP but wow, that grand slam was crucial

MVPosey as the SFG social media says. Honorable mention to Brandon Crawford looking like Ozzie or a young Jeter with the glove at SS.

He should get consideration for NL Comeback

Player too!

Meanwhile on the baseball diamond.....the O's just don't look ready for primetime. Bad defense, bad baserunning and their big hitters have done nothing all series. I'll be floored if the Yankees don't close this out tonight.

I turned on the Nats game after dinner just in time for Werth's homer; that's some pitching matchup for game 5 in that series.

Are you floored?