Mike Nolan for Head Coach

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This honestly puzzles me. What is the proof that Chan is, in fact, a great offensive coach? I'd really like to hear a rundown.

He has some good points, yes. But he consistently makes these puzzling calls - having Spiller (guy with an injured shoulder) in the backfield "blocking" or trying to run the ball down on the goal line. Putting Fitz, who is a smart capable game-manager type QB, into situations where he is asked to pass pass pass when our normal run game isn't working, instead of trying to switch up to a power-run offense. And so forth.

Thank you for saying this. I have been thinking this for about a year now, but people keep referring to Gailey as a great offensive mind and I just don't see it. People also like to say that Gailey gets the most out of a mediocre QB. Again, I'm not seeing it. Right now, I believe that the team has better than average talent with worse than average coaching. I don't know how to back this up with facts; it is just a gut feel.

Seriously...stop this. Do we really think that we're gonna fire Gailey 4 games into the season, hire a new coach (who'd want his own staff), and start winning enough to make the playoffs? Don't tell me that's not what you're thinking, either.

For the love of God, give this team a chance. We haven't even reached Week 5.

Gailey will be the coach until Ralph is gone, IMO. Then all bets are off anyway. Who cares who coaches the San Antonio Longhorns or Toronto IceWines, or whatever the heck they'll be renamed.

Thank you for saying this. I have been thinking this for about a year now, but people keep referring to Gailey as a great offensive mind and I just don't see it. People also like to say that Gailey gets the most out of a mediocre QB. Again, I'm not seeing it. Right now, I believe that the team has better than average talent with worse than average coaching. I don't know how to back this up with facts; it is just a gut feel.

Gailey is only a great offensive mind during the off-season here. When the bullets start flying during a season what we have witnessed for 2+ seasons is what we get. Megamind my arse.

The next 4 games will tell a lot. If they go 2-2 I'm all in with Gailey forever. 0-4 I am off the bandwagon. 1-3 I think should be doable. Not sure which game it it, but if they can get to 3-5, barring IR - type injury disasters, they could go 6-2 in the second half. I'd take 9-7 all day with this first half schedule. Brutal. SF then Az. on 10 days rest, then the Pats again after their bye week. Who makes up these schedules? Satan?

I don't know whether the head coaching job is right for him - but I do know he is my favorite defensive coordinator in the league right now. He simply makes his defenses good, wherever he goes, whoever he inherits, and he does it immediately. His defenses are also very aggressive and tough. I just think he knows how a defense should play, and knows how to coach one.

It's really up to the GM to know what qualities a head coach should have, and to go get the right guy. In a traditional sense, the H.C. is really just a decision maker and a delegator. You have the OC and DC to teach the respective units. I think one of the problems with Buffalo is you have an OC and a DC, but you don't have a real HC. I mean, as far as I've heard it from Gailey, he lets Dave handle the defense and he doesn't interfere or second guess. Well, that, to me, sounds like they've split the responsibilities. If it were working out better, I might buy into it - but, this team still seems to lack a real passion, a real toughness, a real unity in attitude and motivation. If Nolan or any other guy could come in here, deal with ownership, handle the players and put a team on the field that gives its all, wants to win, and is coached well enough to win, then I'm in.

This reminds me - slightly off topic - of Whitner's comments about the Gailey staff - that Buffalo players aren't as prepared as they should be, that the coaches don't have the skill to prepare and implement game plans that are better than the opponents, that Gailey's staff doesn't know how to adjust as well as it should - it would all sound less credible if Gailey's Bills weren't as predictable in performance and consistent in losing...

My dream (and I know this wont happen hence "my dream") is that at the end of the year we give Jon Gruden a blank check to be our next HC.

He is an offensive minded coach and more importantly, he knows quaterbacks.

CBF

I don't think Chucky will ever leave the booth. He sees himself as the next Madden.

Belicheck was bad in Cleveland too, a guy can learn from his mistakes.

Some guys can learn from their mistakes. Some can't.

Some guys have the ability to be head coaches in the NFL. Some don't.

And btw, Belichick had the Cleveland team improving for his first 4 years in Cleveland… which is no small feat considering that the Browns (along with the Lions) have been even worse franchises than the Bills.

In his 5th year they regressed but many people say that this had much to do with distractions caused by the knowledge that the team was leaving at season's end.

Regardless, I don't think Nolan to Belichick is a good comparison.

I was here for the entire Mike Nolan era in San Francisco.

He is absolutely the wrong man for the job and I'd be surprised if he ever got another head coaching job in the NFL.

The guy epitomizes (like Chan, like Wade, like Norv Turner and a bunch of other guys) the Peter Principle. In other words, he's eminently qualified to be a coordinator but an abject failure as a head coach. He's incapable of making that next step.

His record here was horrible (18-37, .327) in spite of having some good players, his handling of the players was abysmal, his press conferences were a disaster (think non-stop babbling idiot) and he failed in every way a head coach can fail.

I agree. We already have two guys on the staff who are really coordinators and not meant for the HC job--and one of them (stache) isn't a notable coordiantor. It would be nice to have Nolan as the DC but that wouldn't be possible.

I'll say it again we are off the rails on this board....2-2 four games in and we are firing the coach - do you understand a 3 year rebuild ?????? a total roster overhaul get a clue...seriously get a clue

So what are you saying a 3 year rebuild takes 5? We lose the next two and Gailey will have to punch it out to get the vaunted 7-9 dick years won loss records. Gailey's best starters for the most part are Jauron holdovers.

My dream (and I know this wont happen hence "my dream") is that at the end of the year we give Jon Gruden a blank check to be our next HC.

He is an offensive minded coach and more importantly, he knows quaterbacks.

CBF

wouldn't mind him either or Vic Fangio

I don't think Chucky will ever leave the booth. He sees himself as the next Madden.

I read or saw where Gruden said he was waiting for the right opportunity to come back. No place like Buffalo right, with our college atmosphere and all, where else would he rather be than right here right now!

Some guys can learn from their mistakes. Some can't.

Some guys have the ability to be head coaches in the NFL. Some don't.

And btw, Belichick had the Cleveland team improving for his first 4 years in Cleveland… which is no small feat considering that the Browns (along with the Lions) have been even worse franchises than the Bills.

In his 5th year they regressed but many people say that this had much to do with distractions caused by the knowledge that the team was leaving at season's end.

Regardless, I don't think Nolan to Belichick is a good comparison.

How about Marv?

I'm don't know if Nolan will be great, but I think he has learned from his mistakes and is worth a second chance.

Who on earth is on staff who has the chops and the know-how to take over? Wannstache? and then who backfills as DC? The guy can't handle the DC job, how on earth is he gonna strap the HC responsibilities on top especially with no OC?

But I think Chan gets this season, the whole season.

This honestly puzzles me. What is the proof that Chan is, in fact, a great offensive coach? I'd really like to hear a rundown.

He has some good points, yes. But he consistently makes these puzzling calls - having Spiller (guy with an injured shoulder) in the backfield "blocking" or trying to run the ball down on the goal line. Putting Fitz, who is a smart capable game-manager type QB, into situations where he is asked to pass pass pass when our normal run game isn't working, instead of trying to switch up to a power-run offense. And so forth.

I guess comparing Chan's offense to the offenses we've had in Buffalo for the last decade, I am pretty satisfied with the production. Maybe you guys have a shorter memory, but sitting through those crappy offensive games from the Jauron era, Gailey has brought excitement, yards, and scoring to the offense.

With not a lot of marquee players, we have, I believe, a top-10 yardage offense and top-5 scoring offense.

"DeCoud described Nolan’s scheme as “an offensive approach to defense. Changing the math and making sure the offense is adjusting to us. We’re dictating the pace and tempo, rather than vice versa.”

Nolan had a similar style with players in Miami last year, where the Dolphins allowed the sixth-fewest points in the NFL (19.6 per game).

Now on his seventh defensive coordinator job in 25 years of NFL coaching - and his third since being fired by the 49ers - Nolan said he has learned to talk less.

Nolan has also been flexible. He prefers schemes with three defensive linemen and four linebackers but has spent plenty of time coaching the 4-3 as well. In Atlanta, the Falcons usually line up with four linemen on first down, then mix it up.

"When I hired Mike, I knew Mike wants to get opponents in third down," Smith said. "Mike always has one of the best third-down teams in the league - year in, year out. He is very creative, especially on third down. And that's the money down."

Nolan has taken fast Falcons players and given them confidence and an edge.

What’s clear is the confidence they are playing with and how they’ve taken to Nolan. He has them believing in his system, regardless of the circumstances. They also enjoy not being yelled at, said he used to be more of a screamer.

“I think everybody has to coach in their own style,” he said. “There was a time when I screamed more. I think as we all get older it’s no different than raising your kids and you get frustrated by everything. Then after a while you get … I think when you know how to parent is when you become a grandparent. So, I think coaching is a little bit the same way. As you get older, you say less and let them play more.”Whatever his methods, they are paying early dividends."

When it comes to math, many NFL teams are noticing Nolan's formula. His experience and maturity, plus three straight successful defensive coordinator gigs since leaving the 49ers, should equal another head-coaching opportunity in the near future.

[Hopefully in Buffalo :thumbsup: ]

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/09/21/falcons-defenders-preferring-nolan-to-vangorder/

He's a good DC. Chan Gailey is a good OC. Wade Phillips' is a good DC. Norv turner is a good OC. Dave Wannstedt sucks. All of them fail as Head Coaches. Nolan ran a circus in SF. If he's air new HC, I'll be ill. I wish he had hired him as our DC though.

"DeCoud described Nolan’s scheme as “an offensive approach to defense. Changing the math and making sure the offense is adjusting to us. We’re dictating the pace and tempo, rather than vice versa.”

Nolan had a similar style with players in Miami last year, where the Dolphins allowed the sixth-fewest points in the NFL (19.6 per game).

Now on his seventh defensive coordinator job in 25 years of NFL coaching - and his third since being fired by the 49ers - Nolan said he has learned to talk less.

Nolan has also been flexible. He prefers schemes with three defensive linemen and four linebackers but has spent plenty of time coaching the 4-3 as well. In Atlanta, the Falcons usually line up with four linemen on first down, then mix it up.

"When I hired Mike, I knew Mike wants to get opponents in third down," Smith said. "Mike always has one of the best third-down teams in the league - year in, year out. He is very creative, especially on third down. And that's the money down."

Nolan has taken fast Falcons players and given them confidence and an edge.

What’s clear is the confidence they are playing with and how they’ve taken to Nolan. He has them believing in his system, regardless of the circumstances. They also enjoy not being yelled at, said he used to be more of a screamer.

“I think everybody has to coach in their own style,” he said. “There was a time when I screamed more. I think as we all get older it’s no different than raising your kids and you get frustrated by everything. Then after a while you get … I think when you know how to parent is when you become a grandparent. So, I think coaching is a little bit the same way. As you get older, you say less and let them play more.”Whatever his methods, they are paying early dividends."

When it comes to math, many NFL teams are noticing Nolan's formula. His experience and maturity, plus three straight successful defensive coordinator gigs since leaving the 49ers, should equal another head-coaching opportunity in the near future.

[Hopefully in Buffalo :thumbsup: ]

http://blogs.ajc.com...n-to-vangorder/

BB you had the right idea the first time with Vic Fangio as HC.

I like Mike Nolan but only as a DC, this was the guy Gailey should have hired to implement his 3-4.