Mike Nolan for Head Coach

"DeCoud described Nolan’s scheme as “an offensive approach to defense. Changing the math and making sure the offense is adjusting to us. We’re dictating the pace and tempo, rather than vice versa.”

Nolan had a similar style with players in Miami last year, where the Dolphins allowed the sixth-fewest points in the NFL (19.6 per game).

Now on his seventh defensive coordinator job in 25 years of NFL coaching - and his third since being fired by the 49ers - Nolan said he has learned to talk less.

Nolan has also been flexible. He prefers schemes with three defensive linemen and four linebackers but has spent plenty of time coaching the 4-3 as well. In Atlanta, the Falcons usually line up with four linemen on first down, then mix it up.

"When I hired Mike, I knew Mike wants to get opponents in third down," Smith said. "Mike always has one of the best third-down teams in the league - year in, year out. He is very creative, especially on third down. And that's the money down."

Nolan has taken fast Falcons players and given them confidence and an edge.

What’s clear is the confidence they are playing with and how they’ve taken to Nolan. He has them believing in his system, regardless of the circumstances. They also enjoy not being yelled at, said he used to be more of a screamer.

“I think everybody has to coach in their own style,” he said. “There was a time when I screamed more. I think as we all get older it’s no different than raising your kids and you get frustrated by everything. Then after a while you get … I think when you know how to parent is when you become a grandparent. So, I think coaching is a little bit the same way. As you get older, you say less and let them play more.”Whatever his methods, they are paying early dividends."

When it comes to math, many NFL teams are noticing Nolan's formula. His experience and maturity, plus three straight successful defensive coordinator gigs since leaving the 49ers, should equal another head-coaching opportunity in the near future.

[Hopefully in Buffalo :thumbsup: ]

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/09/21/falcons-defenders-preferring-nolan-to-vangorder/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Nolan guy but if Chan gets fired I think someone from his staff will take over. Will Ralph really have the patience to hit the reset button again?

Who on earth is on staff who has the chops and the know-how to take over? Wannstache? and then who backfills as DC? The guy can't handle the DC job, how on earth is he gonna strap the HC responsibilities on top especially with no OC?

But I think Chan gets this season, the whole season.

why would we fire Chan and hire Nolan? So our defense would be good and our offense then would stink?

Chan has proven to be a great offensive coach. What we need is either a new DC or someone--Chan and Nix--to get on Wannstedt's back.

This honestly puzzles me. What is the proof that Chan is, in fact, a great offensive coach? I'd really like to hear a rundown.

He has some good points, yes. But he consistently makes these puzzling calls - having Spiller (guy with an injured shoulder) in the backfield "blocking" or trying to run the ball down on the goal line. Putting Fitz, who is a smart capable game-manager type QB, into situations where he is asked to pass pass pass when our normal run game isn't working, instead of trying to switch up to a power-run offense. And so forth.

"DeCoud described Nolan’s scheme as “an offensive approach to defense. Changing the math and making sure the offense is adjusting to us. We’re dictating the pace and tempo, rather than vice versa.”

Nolan had a similar style with players in Miami last year, where the Dolphins allowed the sixth-fewest points in the NFL (19.6 per game).

Now on his seventh defensive coordinator job in 25 years of NFL coaching - and his third since being fired by the 49ers - Nolan said he has learned to talk less.

Nolan has also been flexible. He prefers schemes with three defensive linemen and four linebackers but has spent plenty of time coaching the 4-3 as well. In Atlanta, the Falcons usually line up with four linemen on first down, then mix it up.

"When I hired Mike, I knew Mike wants to get opponents in third down," Smith said. "Mike always has one of the best third-down teams in the league - year in, year out. He is very creative, especially on third down. And that's the money down."

Nolan has taken fast Falcons players and given them confidence and an edge.

What’s clear is the confidence they are playing with and how they’ve taken to Nolan. He has them believing in his system, regardless of the circumstances. They also enjoy not being yelled at, said he used to be more of a screamer.

“I think everybody has to coach in their own style,” he said. “There was a time when I screamed more. I think as we all get older it’s no different than raising your kids and you get frustrated by everything. Then after a while you get … I think when you know how to parent is when you become a grandparent. So, I think coaching is a little bit the same way. As you get older, you say less and let them play more.”Whatever his methods, they are paying early dividends."

When it comes to math, many NFL teams are noticing Nolan's formula. His experience and maturity, plus three straight successful defensive coordinator gigs since leaving the 49ers, should equal another head-coaching opportunity in the near future.

[Hopefully in Buffalo :thumbsup: ]

http://blogs.ajc.com...n-to-vangorder/

Why are you starting this post?

I was here for the entire Mike Nolan era in San Francisco.

He is absolutely the wrong man for the job and I'd be surprised if he ever got another head coaching job in the NFL.

The guy epitomizes (like Chan, like Wade, like Norv Turner and a bunch of other guys) the Peter Principle. In other words, he's eminently qualified to be a coordinator but an abject failure as a head coach. He's incapable of making that next step.

His record here was horrible (18-37, .327) in spite of having some good players, his handling of the players was abysmal, his press conferences were a disaster (think non-stop babbling idiot) and he failed in every way a head coach can fail.

Seriously...stop this. Do we really think that we're gonna fire Gailey 4 games into the season, hire a new coach (who'd want his own staff), and start winning enough to make the playoffs? Don't tell me that's not what you're thinking, either.

For the love of God, give this team a chance. We haven't even reached Week 5.

Buffalo Barbarian,

So let me get this straight. You want a guy, to replace Chan, after 4 games, for a team with a .500 record. The guy you want to replace Chan with has a overall coaching record of 19 games BELOW .500 through 3 and a half seasons? Lets break down Nolan's record as a head coach shall we?

2005 4-12, 2006 7-9, 2007 5-11, 2008 2-5. Really?

It's a good thing you don't own this team, or are a GM for this team. People like you would actually make this team WORSE than it already is.

LOL @ Nolan as head coach.

The guy was a complete failure as HC, Frisco had the talent to win that **** division easily, yet he did **** and they dropped his ass. Nolan's a good coordinator, not a head coach. We already have a good coordinator who isn't much of a HC.

Edited by bouds

I'm a Nolan guy but if Chan gets fired I think someone from his staff will take over. Will Ralph really have the patience to hit the reset button again?

Harbaugh turned SF around quickly, I feel with the talent we have here that Nolan can do the same. (there is no one from the staff that should take over)

why would we fire Chan and hire Nolan? So our defense would be good and our offense then would stink?

Chan has proven to be a great offensive coach. What we need is either a new DC or someone--Chan and Nix--to get on Wannstedt's back.

Just because Nolan is a defensive guy doesn't mean he couldn't upgrade the offense. Quite frankly Chan put too much responsibilty on Fitz. Harbaugh is an offensive guy but has a great D, a good coach is a good coach and Nolan is a good coach.

Buffalo Barbarian,

So let me get this straight. You want a guy, to replace Chan, after 4 games, for a team with a .500 record. The guy you want to replace Chan with has a overall coaching record of 19 games BELOW .500 through 3 and a half seasons? Lets break down Nolan's record as a head coach shall we?

It's a good thing you don't own this team, or are a GM for this team. People like you would actually make this team WORSE than it already is.

Yes, but he also would have traded several high picks for Tim Tebow so just think how good that would have worked out.

Why do you think :doh:

He is absolutely the wrong man for the job and I'd be surprised if he ever got another head coaching job in the NFL.

The guy epitomizes (like Chan, like Wade, like Norv Turner and a bunch of other guys) the Peter Principle. In other words, he's eminently qualified to be a coordinator but an abject failure as a head coach. He's incapable of making that next step.

His record here was horrible (18-37, .327) in spite of having some good players, his handling of the players was abysmal, his press conferences were a disaster (think non-stop babbling idiot) and he failed in every way a head coach can fail.

Belicheck was bad in Cleveland too, a guy can learn from his mistakes.

Buffalo Barbarian,

The players I have chosen for this team are probowlers for others, you'd be lucky to have me B-)

Isn't Nolan a 3-4 guy? I'm tired of switching personnel every other year. We are set up with a 4-3 D for the long run.

if you read the post you would have saw that he also does 43, like he is doing right now for Atlanta.

Agreed